1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG DLP TV Problems - can you help?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by webmelanie, Apr 26, 2005.

1. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( hi - i have an 18 month old LG DLP rear projection Tv which has a problem. When you turn the TV on, the orange light continues to flash, and we have a picture with no sound. You are then unable to use any buttons on the remote or on the Tv itself, all you can do is turn off the TV by the TV button. The orange light is supposed to go green. I have called LG, but they are not interested as it is 6 months over warranty. They simply said turn up the volume (idiots!) Can anyone help before we start paying out for an engineer. manythanks,

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Lion our resident Hero and LG expert might be help out :)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    The first thing to try in such circumstances, is to disconnect the mains power (unplug it) for about 10 minutes. Then re-connect and try again.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

They also recommend moving the set into the middle of the room when you reset it. Im not sure why but they do.

5. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks - done the unplugging thing (but not in the middle of the room as i can't move the tv as it's too heavy!). I'm a newbie here, so how do i contact Lion?

Many thanks

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Lion will be on later tonight I would of thought. :thumbsup:

Did reseting the set work?

7. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope - nor resetting the remote control which a tv engineer suggested?!

I spoke to LG again this afternoon and said 'tv's break down all the time, your are just unlucky it's only 18 months old' How nice is that!! Shame they did not tell me that before i bought the thing!

i will be here later then - thanks again

8. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Lion.

i did see the australian forums about these tv's, and it wasn't a good read! I'm am no expert, but it seems to me that something is not starting up properly. I don't know where the remote not working or the tv buttons not working when this happenes fits in though.

I can use the sky remote to change channels only, so I can also put it on sky subtitles, but that is very quickly losing it's novelty! it is very odd.

It makes me laugh (choke) that the lg website 'prides' itself on customer care and has some crappy slogan of that affect....hhhmmmm... :rolleyes:

9. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    you can make them repaire it,by threating letters and saying you could take them to small claims court you need to talk to sum1 as high as possible at lg dont give up and dont be nice just because its 6months and out of warrenty they cant just say no,you didnt buy a tv to last just 12months fair enough if it was 3 or 4 years old tell them if they dont sort it your solicitor will be in touch and you will take it to small claims court but dont give up and i will bet u they will send sum1 round to repaire it :smashin:

10. Ian in Northamp

Ian in Northamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm right in saying that the 'contract' is with the retailer who sold the set, not the manufacturer - first port of call is whoever sold the TV.

11. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    only whithin the first year you need to go to lg cause if you go to the people you bought it off they will just fob you off

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    kourosh - if the goods fall outside the terms of the sale of goods act (and I'm not saying, in this case, whether they do or don't) the customer's legal recourse remains to the retailer - not directly to the manufacturer. You should know that. Any twelve month "rule" is entirely ficticious.

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I know its a bit different, but i had a BMW M3 Convertable. I blew the engine up a month out of warrenty. The cost for a new engine and fitting would of been over £12,000. I was gutted. Anyway I threatened that I would go to the press and inform them that their flagship 3 series which was built for raicing blew up. LOL

I got the engine free of charge and had to pay £1800 for it to be fitted, which was a good deal as a service was due and that used to set me back £900 each time.

Top marks for BMW there :)

14. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

A retailer has a responsibility to their customers for a period of six years, although the level of responsability in year six is a small fraction of that in year one. At the very least any resonable retailer should assist you in trying to resolve your problem. If they show no interest in helping at all, you could take them to the small claims court, and hopefully if persude in the correct manner it may spur them into action before you get that far. The other thing you will need to check out is the upper limit to any claim that can be heard at the small claims court, for example the maximum compensation may only be £500 or £1000 which won't pay for you to buy a new TV. If the level of compensation is not enough you will have to talk to a solicetor about starting litigation and way up the possible costs against possible returns. In my experiance in these types of cases they will normally find in favour of the little man unless it is very obvious that his or her claims are totally unfounded.

15. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG, what have u made :lesson: :lesson:
    Lion soon be chrimbo :lesson: :lesson: