1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG DLP Rear TV Set

Discussion in 'TVs' started by alcolepone, Jun 30, 2003.

1. alcolepone

alcolepone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know anything about this new dlp rear projection set?

saw one in curries t the weekend and it looked really good, only thing is its rear projections and i worried about playing games on a rear projection set incase i'd burn images onto the screen.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    DLP doesn't suffer screen burn. A word of warning, however.....

When I saw one of these on display at a Dixons store, they were showing a 4x3 video in it's proper 'pillar box' format - black left and right. And this showed up, on the TV in question, absolutely apalling geometry - the straight vertical edges had a pronounced inwards curve.

On a single lens projector, this is an OPTICAL, rather than electronic issue - which suggests that the glassware inside isn't up to much. It could be, of course, that the mirror had become detached from the inside of the case and was bowing.

3. alcolepone

alcolepone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what causes the burn-in on other rear projection sets?

i've been impressed with some of the rear projection sets i've seen latly, are they becoming a good alternative to the basic crt. was going to get a tosh pf2 36inch, but now not too sure

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I'm sure this has been covered before, but.....

On a 'regular' RPTV, the image is created by three high-brightness Cathode Ray Tubes in the bowels of the set. These each create a small version of the picture you see - one for each of the primary colours - which are then focussed using a lens and mirror onto the back of the screen.

A CRT creates it's picture by firing a beam of electrons at a glass surface coated with a phosphor material that glows when it is struck by the electron stream.

If you use such a tube to show a constant high brightness image (eg the logo on some TV channels) the phosphor coating gradually gets damaged by the constant bombardment by electrons, and begins to glow less brightly.

Then, when you watch another channel, the now dimmer phosphor in this area represents itself as a shadow of the original logo. This is phosphor burn.

This happens on all phosphor based TVs to a greater or lesser extent - direct view CRT, RP CRT and plasma are all theoretically susceptible. RPTVs suffer worst because the tubes are small and the image very bright (so that they can be projected up on to a much larger area.

DLP and LCD do not use phosphors and do not suffer from degradation over time in this way.

5. twarde

twarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  6. Acdbulls

Acdbulls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the link, i will buy a RPTV with DLP soon so this article was very good

7. alcolepone

alcolepone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are there any other dlp rear projectors in the uk? or are there any coming soon?

8. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi all, thought I would just give you a warning. I have recently had a nightmare with an L.G. tv/vcr which took 3 months to sort out (thats how long their repair dept. kept it).The short story is "tv bought Dec.02, sent back for repair Jan 03, came back Feb 03 seemed ok, fault returned so sent back end of Feb 03, got on back June 03. The repair company could not find a fault and said I have to pay £50 + to get my tv back :eek: I rang L.G. and got the biggest run-around of my life (would'nt return numerous calls) and basically got told TUFF :mad:
    My saving grace was I'd bought it from a mate who works at their factory up here (North) but it took him and his boss weeks to get anywhere, can you believe they got the same "out to lunch, in a meeting, day off today, can't come to the phone right now" that I got. :mad:
    So be warned, I really hope it does'nt happen to you but be careful. I've seen the new dlp tv several times in my local currys and it looks fantastic (picture and aesthetics) and I'm also on the look-out for a new main tv but as you can probably guess I would'nt have another L.G. product as long as there's a hole in my ****
    Cheers Oddbodd

ps I should have said, since I got the tv back it's been fine (who's to say they don't tweek something and say that to get some extra money in) :nono:

9. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1