1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG DLP Rear projection or Mimo 32"

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Pugwash, May 27, 2003.

1. Pugwash

Pugwash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was walking past the Bolton store of www.tvandvideodirect.com on Saturday, when my better half spotted the Loewe Mimo in the window.
    She has fell instantly in love with it. I had got my heart set on the LG DLP Rear projection but had to admit that the Mimo was nice.

i then took her to see the LG DLP at Currys and she was impressed but not a £1000 more impressed.

Tvandvideodirect say that they will be getting the LG in about three weeks and will be cheaper than Currys. My guess is still over £2000 though.

Does anyone have any opinoins on which one I should get, any help would be greatly apprerciated?

2. Pugwash

Pugwash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does nobody have an opinion on the Mimo 32 or the LG DLP Rear Projection???

I have a wedding coming up and need to able to justify spending an extra £1000 on a TV, if the LG is the way to go

help

3. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I went to have a look at the LG on Tuesday...

It was on it's stand and at the exact height it would be on a floor.

I had to bend over double in order to see the picture clearly...

They were playing The Chamber Of Secrets and to be honest I was disappointed.

I couldn't get within 4 feet of the screen without the picture looking fuzzy, so I had to walk about 8 feet away in order to see a decent picture.

But then I felt I was too far away to be able to accurately assess the quality of the picture.

It is, however viewable from the horizontal plane so you don't necessarily have to be directly in front of it.

I checked the contrast and brightness levels and they were up fairly high.

They were using a cheap LG DVD player to run the film, and it was connected via scart.

I'd got excited about the tv, and was frankly a bit put off. I'd probably have been a bit more forgiving if it was displaying a analogue signal.

I must stress I have never owned a rear projection tv, but if you have to be in an optimum position to view, I don't think I ever will.

It does look gorgeous though and is very slim.

I'm now considering the Hitachi plasma which is about £3000 instead.

4. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the real question here is what size screen are you really after?If you're happy to settle with 32" then the Loewe is a great choice.If however,deep down you crave a much larger screen(as most of us do!),then you need to look at the rear pro,plasma or projector route.I haven't seen the LG DLP,so I can't comment on that matter,but I've seen a lot of rear pros that do a very good job.I would say do a search on DLP because,as with all technology,it has it's inherent faults(think rainbows!).

5. Pugwash

Pugwash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course you are right, we all crave bigger screens and no matter what size I get it won't be big enough.

I think it's looking more and more like I will get the Mimo32 and wait until the DLP Rear projection's quality gets sorted out. That's before I get talked into getting the LG DLP Rear projsection when I talk to TVandvideodirect

6. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered plasma?Decent panels such as the Panny's or Hitachi are under the 3k mark now.

7. Pugwash

Pugwash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have, that's how I got into this mess. Some of my friends have got Plasmas but I fancied something a bit different. Then I saw the DLP Rear projection in T3 magazine about 6-7 months ago and thought that's the solution. I have been eagley waiting for it's launch since then.

Then the bad reports started to come out and now I'm snookered, especially saying er'indoors fancies the Mimo at £1000 less.

8. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're after a large screen then crt isn't going to cut it.Why splash out on a mimo and then wish the money had gone towards something else?Don't be too hasty,I spent over four months coming to a decision and still made the wrong one.I ended up with a Philips 32" p+ when I should have just said fudge it and bought the plasma I was after.That option is gone for quite a while now.As for wanting something different,you may well have friends with plasma's but I sure don't consider them common place yet!

9. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Went back to Curry's today...

Mainly to see if the Hitachi plasma was about...

They had the 32" one about 3 meters away from the LG DLP.

Both were playing from dvd sources. The Hitachi blows the LG completely out of the water.

Picture viewable from any angle and a whole lot clearer...

The 42" was around the corner playing the crappy feed that looks naff on everything...

The assistant actually knew what he was talking about for a change and didn't actually make any outrageous claims.

I pretended I was a dumb punter off the street and agreed dumbly with everything he said. I asked if it was possible to see it using a dvd source and he said that it should have one by the weekend.

For £500 more at the present time...I'd definitely get the 42" Hitachi.