1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG demo in Currys

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by marc777, Oct 15, 2005.

1. marc777

marc777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've seen some content on the forum about the Curry's demo, and today watched a demo on a 37" LG.

I don't know where the picture was coming from (PC DVD etc) but it was simply awesome. Sky surfer; lots of running water; aquarium type shots - all out of this world.

We went to see the cinema showing of Robbie Williams Berlin concert in Shepherds Bush last Sunday and that was screened using Sky HD - hence the renewed interest in going to the store today. The quality was superb, especially for a cinema screen.

I'm an HD convert.

BUT, my question is:

Is the demo in Currys representative of what we can all expect from HD?

(At the back of the store they had a Panny PV500 not showing HD and it looked very very poor. And this was the screen I wanted. The LG looked amazing.)

Marc

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    simple answer - probably not. Well, unless they launch an aquarium/flower channel :p

The LG demo is there to show off HD. It'll be as high quality a source as the player can manage, it'll be objects photographed in highly controlled environments with great lighting.

However, whereas the ultimate 'in your face' picture quality might not be as good, the experience might be better. Because you'll be watching programs you enjoy, content that is relevant to you, in HD.

3. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    you should really take a look at a pv500 running that same vid, compared to the lg its even more mindblowing. my local dixons has the lg running said vid and a pv500 on the same vid and it wins hands down. i wouldn't pay much attention of the fact it looked bad in somewhere like currys as they are a complete bunch of monkeys that cant set anything up right.

as for the hd stuff, ive been downloading movies and tv shows and docs and watching them on my pv500 via a hi def player and although at first i was a tad dissapointed shall we say, but as you watch more hd stuff you will realise it really is superb and ive grown to love it alot. i am currently watching season 2 of Lost in hi def and its stunning, albeit over 4gb per episode. at first it didn't look that much better than my sky+ but the more you watch you realise how dull sd stuff is, all the skin details etc are superb in hd

it can only get better when sky release it i think.

4. cloudbt

cloudbt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know that they are the same company?

5. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I saw the same demo today. There were 50", 42" and 37" LG plasmas and an LG rear projector. It was running off a box with a CD drive. I agree it was stunning! Just like a moving digital photograph.

6. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yeah LG have got HD displays on show in my local Currys 60" ,42", 37" 32". the 60" is £8000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    We're not all abunch of monkeys, some of us do know what we're doing.
    The reason the panasonic does not have a good picture, is because LG have sent us the HI-Def display unit, to use on LG screens only (of course)

They obviously have some kind of contract with us to make sure these units are demo'd at the highest quality.

As for the panasonic, in my store we've hooked it up to a up-scaling DVD player, and it's amazing, at the moment, I'd say the 42" panasonic is best buy in the store, closely followed by the LG 42".

Now must go find some peanuts, ug, ug, ug :rotfl:

8. marc777

marc777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, and thanks to Spidermaxx - thats brilliant feedback - just what I was looking for.

Marc

9. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    yes i do know but was just pointing out that my local dixons actually done something right for a change

10. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    if someone in your company has linked this device upto both the lg and panny then surely that is how to do it to show them both off, it would be much much betyter than using an upscaling dvd player which wont be true hi def

and yes i do believe that dsg employ a complete bunch of monkeys, ive never met one who knew or even bothered to know about stuff.

you may be an exception though.........

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I think in the case of the LG-provided HDTV demo PC that feeds LG displays in a number of stores (not just DSG ones) this would be in breach of the contract under which the demo PC is provided. I suspect LG stipulate that the LG provided box is only connected to LG plasmas? If a store connected the PC to a Panasonic plasma, surely this could be in breach of their contract with LG.

Panasonic seem to supply many stores with a Japanese set-top box and an IOData Firewire hard drive that emulates a D-VHS machine and streams broadcast quality MPEG2 into the set-top box for display over component.

Sony seem to provide 1st generation Japanese MPEG2 BluRay recorders to replay a BluRay disc with MPEG2 HD material on for their demos.

Each manufacturer is providing their own system for HD demo, with their own content, branded by manufacturer. I suspect that accepting these devices involves agreeing only to connect them to that manufacturers displays.

If a shop wants to demo different makes of plasma with the same material, they will need to do what Comet have, which is set up their own HD playback system and connect this via an HDMI or HD Component distribution amp.

Sadly my experience is that there are very few high-street chain staff who accurately know their stuff, and rather than admit that they don't, many just make-up what the don't know...

Not tarring everyone with the same brush - but it is a rare exception to find someone who knows what they are talking about, and admits when they don't.

12. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There are a few of us out there that know our stuff , and when we don't, this website helps so much :thumbsup:

13. norderney

norderney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I know this is off topic (and sorry for reviving an old thread), but I was just wondering if anybody knows if the Robbie Williams Berlin Concert was ever released on DVD? I have been searching on amazon.co.uk and amazon.de without any success. I have even Googled for it!!!!

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello all

emporer - LG will have paid a bundle of cash to make THEIR Displays look good on the shop floor; they are unlikely to want to connect another Manufacturers Displays to the demo system (unless it shows the other units to be very inferior :)).

marc777 - many HD capable Displays will look great with this type of content (you wouldn't believe how much time and effort goes into ensuring these demo 'discs' don't cause any visual aberrations on the Displays being showcased).

Many HD Displays look pretty decent with HD broadcasts and BD/HD DVD Discs - though don't expect everything to blow your socks off!

Many HD Displays look terrible with SD Broadcasts and DVD discs - which for most folk is still the majority of viewing so don't be fooled by the HD Demo; ask to se the Display with some content your actually going to be viewing at home.

Joe

15. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    joe,

errrm...this this thread is 4yrs old. Think the OP has probably chose his TV by now :D

looks like is was resurrected by someone looking for a Robbie Williams DVD mentioned eaerlier in the thread :rotfl:

16. leeb-1977

leeb-1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    still sound advice though :D