LG CX55 and LG ht503PH sound issues

DaZombie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
scratching my head here - I have just got the LG CX 55 and Xbox series X. I’m still using my old LGht503ph home cinema sound system. All was good on my old LG tv and Xbox one.
now I can’t seem to get full 5.1 sound. Nothing come out of the back speaker. Picture is perfect and I’m well happy.
ive currently got the sound from the TV to the AV via optical out. No rear speakers. I’ve tried multiple settings on the tv and the Xbox sX.
ive tried connecting the ht503ph to the tv via HDMI 2 to try running setup/arc but the TV reports no signal. It finds the unit on the home menu and simplink kicks in but I can’t get any picture or play disks etc. Ive not tried a hdmi 2.1 cable as I only have the one that came with my Xbox sX.
it also won’t work if I try to set the audio device to read straight from the Blu-ray/4K player in the Xbox setup menu.
any help/advice/cold truth greatly received.
thank u

If its enabled disable Ultra HD Deep Colour support on HDMI 2 port and see if the HT503PH DVD player works after that.

There is also a firmware update for the HT503PH that might be worth trying in case LG fixed something though it is 10 years old.

On the TV WebOS after setting ARC set the audio mode to auto. Xbox must be on bitstream Dolby 5.1 (no Atmos), if Dolby Access app is installed on Xbox remove it.

The CX does not support DTS and ARC/optical is not capable of PCM 5.1 only PCM 2.0.

Thanks next010 - do I need to use a hdmi2.1 cable? l’ll try this today and see how I get on.
will see if I can update firmware also. Thanks man

Ps - which file in the firmware section do I Use? There seems to be several all names the same.
thanks again
Also is there something preventing full 5.1 through optical out from the CX? Do I even need to connect to HDMI?
cheers

Last edited:
If its enabled disable Ultra HD Deep Colour support on HDMI 2 port and see if the HT503PH DVD player works after that.

There is also a firmware update for the HT503PH that might be worth trying in case LG fixed something though it is 10 years old.

On the TV WebOS after setting ARC set the audio mode to auto. Xbox must be on bitstream Dolby 5.1 (no Atmos), if Dolby Access app is installed on Xbox remove it.

The CX does not support DTS and ARC/optical is not capable of PCM 5.1 only PCM 2.0.
Ok - tried all of these. Still no signal from the HT503 though it is syncing the controller and I can label it as home theatre from the home screen edit function. And I can select it as an Arc hdmi audio device on any of the hdmi attached consoles/cable boxes. But I only get sound if I use optical and the two rear speakers don’t work. So one step further but still not picking it up as a player and I can’t enter the dvd/HT503 setup menus.
need a beer lol.
cheers.
DZ

Given the age of the HT503 it may be a HDMI 1.3 device, I've seen a few 1.3 devices not work with latest HDMI 2.1 ports.

The ultra HD deep colour setting is your compatibility toggle so if that hasn't worked I'm not sure what else to do.

Try any other HDMI cable that you have as a longshot, old/new doesn't matter.

Double check your webos settings are like below
Sound/Sound Out = HDMI ARC
Sound/Additional settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = bitstream
Sound/Additional settings/Digital Sound Out = auto
Sound/Additional settings/eARC = disabled

HT503 is set to TV-Audio input for ARC.

The only other suggestion I can make if nothing else works is get the Dr HDMI 4K device, this can pretend to be something else (like 1080p TV to DVD player) and pass the video/audio data between devices but I'm unsure if it works with HDMI-ARC, you'd have to contact HDFury and ask.

Given the age of the HT503 it may be a HDMI 1.3 device, I've seen a few 1.3 devices not work with latest HDMI 2.1 ports.

The ultra HD deep colour setting is your compatibility toggle so if that hasn't worked I'm not sure what else to do.

Try any other HDMI cable that you have as a longshot, old/new doesn't matter.

Double check your webos settings are like below
Sound/Sound Out = HDMI ARC
Sound/Additional settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = bitstream
Sound/Additional settings/Digital Sound Out = auto
Sound/Additional settings/eARC = disabled

HT503 is set to TV-Audio input for ARC.

The only other suggestion I can make if nothing else works is get the Dr HDMI 4K device, this can pretend to be something else (like 1080p TV to DVD player) and pass the video/audio data between devices but I'm unsure if it works with HDMI-ARC, you'd have to contact HDFury and ask.
Thanks man. I’ve tried all those settings and two cables. So I guess I’m stuck with optical out and no rear speakers. I’m using the exact setup connection wise as I had before - optical from tv to the HT503 (with no hdmi - I took the hdmi out of the HT503 as lost room for it with virgin box, Sony region free blu ray player and Steam Link and Xbone). So I had full 5.1 with no hdmi. The only change has been the CX and Xbox Series X. If I reconnect the old LG tv everything works fine again with or without hdmi.
I just can’t fathom why!!!!
Next question. Is there sound bar that you would recommend with the CX and Xb series X? Or for that matter a 5.1 amp/AV I could grab maybe second hand and keep my speaker set up?
Thanks for your help next010 I thought I was going bonkers. This is the first tv I’ve ever bought brand new!!!

Thanks man. I’ve tried all those settings and two cables. So I guess I’m stuck with optical out and no rear speakers. I’m using the exact setup connection wise as I had before - optical from tv to the HT503 (with no hdmi - I took the hdmi out of the HT503 as lost room for it with virgin box, Sony region free blu ray player and Steam Link and Xbone). So I had full 5.1 with no hdmi. The only change has been the CX and Xbox Series X. If I reconnect the old LG tv everything works fine again with or without hdmi.
I just can’t fathom why!!!!
Next question. Is there sound bar that you would recommend with the CX and Xb series X? Or for that matter a 5.1 amp/AV I could grab maybe second hand and keep my speaker set up?
Thanks for your help next010 I thought I was going bonkers. This is the first tv I’ve ever bought brand new!!!

Not really my area of interest, avforums does reviews of such hardware, including LG's own soundbars.

or ask in that section of the forums.

I'd look at something that has eARC as that will allow the console to send PCM 5.1 audio instead of Dolby which can be laggy on current LG hardware.

I'd ask the HD Fury guys first if their Dr HDMI 4k works with ARC, that is by far the cheapest path to possibly getting ARC and old DVD player working.

Another not cheap but less costly than new sound system option is the Sharc a device meant to bridge eARC to older sound systems, what makes it relevant to you is it was built for LG TV's and includes various fixes for LG audio quirks.

The device has an optical output so you might get the ARC Dolby audio corrected sent over optical to your existing sound system.

Not really my area of interest, avforums does reviews of such hardware, including LG's own soundbars.

or ask in that section of the forums.

I'd look at something that has eARC as that will allow the console to send PCM 5.1 audio instead of Dolby which can be laggy on current LG hardware.

I'd ask the HD Fury guys first if their Dr HDMI 4k works with ARC, that is by far the cheapest path to possibly getting ARC and old DVD player working.

Another not cheap but less costly than new sound system option is the Sharc a device meant to bridge eARC to older sound systems, what makes it relevant to you is it was built for LG TV's and includes various fixes for LG audio quirks.

The device has an optical output so you might get the ARC Dolby audio corrected sent over optical to your existing sound system.
Thanks next010 I’ll have look.
you’ve been a great help cheers man

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom