LG CX - why do I still think Standard picture preset looks better?

Evenflow80

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had the CX since September and I've had it set to Cinema mode using Rtings recommendations when watching HDR content.

Today I went to watch some videos on YouTube then movies on Netflix and for about 3 hours I kept thinking "wow, these videos and movies look great!" . Even my wife commented on a 4k HDR wildlife video I was watching on YouTube.... and she thinks my TV obsession is the dumbest thing ever and she NEVER comments on the topic.

After about 3 hours I went into the settings.... and for some unknown reason.... it was set to standard picture mode. Default with no user adjustments. No idea who changed it, might have been my kid . Its a mystery.

I forgot how vibrant HDR looked in standard picture mode. Vivid might be too much but standard reslly makes the highlights pop and the details are so sharp .

My question is why? Why do we buy these expensive tvs with all these special features then we proceed to turn them all off and get a darker , less detailed , less sharp picture? Why is standard picture mode so reviled ? I honestly forget how I also thought thst when I first got the tv, but then forced myself to set it to the "right" settings and then just forget about it.

Anyone else prefer standard picture preset ?

suppose it depends whether you want an "accurate" image or an overblown inaccurate image.

You Never Ever use anyone else's settings for your own set, Rtings settings were for the Set that they used and in the viewing environment that it was situated, and you expect them to look good on another TV with the fact that all components have a varying degree of tolerance, and the next one will be different, it amazes me that people copy them settings at all it's never going to look good unless you are extrodinalery lucky, and I mean it would have to be a miracle.

If your not going to get a Professional Calibration I would suggest that you just play around with the picture settings until you like what you see, and remember this you are never ever going to be able to set it correctly without properly calibrated equipment, so it's just adjust it as you want it, or pay a professional to do it for you.

Personal choice. Everyone sees things differently. If the Standard setting works for the OP, then that’s fine. There’s no right or wrong when it comes to picture or sound settings. That you can adjust X to suit your particular needs is all that should matter.

You Never Ever use anyone else's settings for your own set, Rtings settings were for the Set that they used and in the viewing environment that it was situated, and you expect them to look good on another TV with the fact that all components have a varying degree of tolerance, and the next one will be different, it amazes me that people copy them settings at all it's never going to look good unless you are extrodinalery lucky, and I mean it would have to be a miracle.

If your not going to get a Professional Calibration I would suggest that you just play around with the picture settings until you like what you see, and remember this you are never ever going to be able to set it correctly without properly calibrated equipment, so it's just adjust it as you want it, or pay a professional to do it for you.

I didn't copy their color management settings, jist cinema mode and all the basic settings. I didn't copy all their calibration settings since its too much work ans also like you said varies from panel to panel

Because there is no right or wrong and you shouldn't let someone else's opinions change what you like, ever.

A totally flat image that meets technical standards may be incredibly accurate but not work well in a real world environment outside of an editing studio.

The differences between 'flat' and standard manufacturer preset modes is never huge anyway... it's hardly going to change the source much (apart from major motion soap opera effects, of course).

Because there is no right or wrong and you shouldn't let someone else's opinions change what you like, ever.

A totally flat image that meets technical standards may be incredibly accurate but not work well in a real world environment outside of an editing studio.

The differences between 'flat' and standard manufacturer preset modes is never huge anyway... it's hardly going to change the source much (apart from major motion soap opera effects, of course).
I beg to differ, a set can be massively out and some may be closer, they will not ever be accurate at all, and what's this "totally Flat" can you explain this?

well there is a "right" and "wrong", but those don't always match individual preference.
there are many people that prefer an overblown image - clearly it's their preference but doesn't make it "right".

I beg to differ, a set can be massively out and some may be closer, they will not ever be accurate at all, and what's this "totally Flat" can you explain this?
Flat as in flat in audio (no boost or cut). Eg matching the source.
It's only right as in it doesn't deviate from the source.

well there is a "right" and "wrong", but those don't always match individual preference.
there are many people that prefer an overblown image - clearly it's their preference but doesn't make it "right".
Not 'right' if you intend to match the source as close as is possible on domestic TVs, but I think the wording of saying it as if people are getting it wrong to watch the way they like it is daft as it forgets that most people don't care about if it matches the source material perfectly, and often it's not right that way for most peoples viewing environments.

I draw the line at Vivid modes though. There are some limits!

I draw the line at Vivid modes though. There are some limits!

and i bet that most of those that "don't care" are using vivid mode, because the colours are so bright.

the more people we can get to "care" the better.

and i bet that most of those that "don't care" are using vivid mode, because the colours are so bright.

the more people we can get to "care" the better.
I don't agree. If they're happy, who should tell them to change it. They know what they like and have the same buttons we do.

I don't think enthusiasts should be so self righteous. I was for a while but in the end I realised everyone has their own taste and who I am to try and change it?

but are they happy or just oblivious?
people were happy to smoke because it made them "look cool", now they know different. a little education helps everyone :)

people should at least know what the most accurate image is, and the TV should be set to the "out the box", if they then choose to go against that then so be it, but at least they made a choice to go against it, rather than having the TV set to a totaly outlandish setting and the end-user thinking that's what it's meant to look like.

no-one is "cold call" messaging people telling them to change, but if someone asks then it's OK to give your opinion.

people were happy to smoke because it made them "look cool", now they know different. a little education helps everyone :)

people should at least know what the most accurate image is, and the TV should be set to the "out the box", if they then choose to go against that then so be it, but at least they made a choice to go against it, rather than having the TV set to a totaly outlandish setting and the end-user thinking that's what it's meant to look like.

no-one is "cold call" messaging people telling them to change, but if someone asks then it's OK to give your opinion.
Filmmaker mode was supposed to be a step towards that but ultimately people prefer it the other way (and mostly aren't watching movies as bulk of viewing anyway). Motion smoothing should be off by default though - cannot understand why every maker puts that on by default (and some even in Cinema modes).

Flat as in flat in audio (no boost or cut). Eg matching the source.
It's only right as in it doesn't deviate from the source.
Err No you wasn't on about Audio.

You said image, it's there above, so like I said you are incorrect.

Yes, they are happy. As in they see an image and like what they see . It's pleasing to them .

I kind of agree with the other guys comment about enthusiasts being so self righteous . Its getting to the point where others can even like what their own eyes are telling them and they are just "oblivious".

If someone switched betting standard mode and filmmaker mode and their eyes tell them they prefer the former, why is that oblivious ?

As I said, no-one is cold calling people telling them to change their settings.

However if someone asks the question then clearly they are questioning their setup. At that point they can be told what the most accurate setting is.

If they choose to ignore that then that's up to them, but you wonder why they bothered to ask in the first place.

i got mine today,set up in filmmaker as advised but everything was dark and yellow. just changed to standard with a few tweaks and looks better to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom