LG CX vs Q90T

centerhalf

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All, hope you can help with a quandary that has been playing on my mind for a while. The age-old debate of Oled versus QLED.

I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time on hear reading different opinions and my heart is set on the CX, but tv placement will be on the wall directly opposite the main front window, so will be in direct sunlight for a large proportion of the day. Not so bad at this time of year, but in the summer, the room can become a furnace due to the bright sunshine. Hence why I’m considering the (next best thing) Q90T.

We used to have a Samsung 55” KS7000 and I liked the TV, the brightness of the picture, but kids broke it so a replacement was purchased, another Samsung, a 65” RU8000, about a year ago, and I’m really not impressed. Colours seem washed out and picture is meh.

Looking to go back to 55” this time and do not want to make the same mistake again. Mainly we watch Netflix, HD on virgin and movies, have a pre order in for the Xbox Series X, so will make the most of the gaming and movie features available. No sound bar or sound system, but may add something in the future. TV audio will have to do for now.

For ref pics of lounge attached, just finished painting hence why looking a bit barren.

IMG_20201015_173548[1].jpgIMG_20201015_173514[1].jpg

Thanks

There's no such thing as a QLED TV. They are LCD TVs, and have quantum dot layers the same as your KS7000 did.

If you were happy with the KS7000 the modern like for like replacement is the new Q70T, but you'd want to step up to the Q80T to better local dimming and the Q85T for better reflection handling.

Here's a comparison of LCD vs OLED:
Here's recommendations based on next gen gaming:
Here's a bit of general advice to not buy right now:

And here's a bit about HDR, and if you are shopping for an LCD TV, why you need a specific set of specs to not make the same mistake as you did with the RU8000:

There's no such thing as a QLED TV. They are LCD TVs, and have quantum dot layers the same as your KS7000 did.

If you were happy with the KS7000 the modern like for like replacement is the new Q70T, but you'd want to step up to the Q80T to better local dimming and the Q85T for better reflection handling.

Don´t the Samsung Q85T have around 100 dimming zones and Q80T 50 dimming zones?

I'm not sure on the amount but the Q85T is slightly better, I have no clue if its a noticeable difference though. You have to be careful reading online because the North Amerian Q80T is different from the European one.

The Q80T there is more akin to the Q85T here, whilst the European Q80T is not sold there, and is a cut down model without the superior anti reflection filter.

Also there's some disparity in test results. The Q80T in European reviews has measured higher peak brightness than the Q80T in American reviews (our Q85T).

The Q85T will be a better television, by how much is hard to say though. It's wise not to get too hung up on dimming zone counts. The Hisense U8Q for example apparently has well over 100, and the Sony XH95's apparently around 60 ish, but the Sony is much better in how it handles things. It's all down to the algorithms and onboard tech as to how these sets will cope with blooming, dimming picture quality etc.

I had the LG cx and my room was normal brightness and it struggled even with max brightness, the wife hated it due to this aswell and the thoughts of a oled on full brightness to cope with daytime viewing isn’t gonna do much for the burn potential, sent it back I went for the Q90T

I had the LG cx and my room was normal brightness and it struggled even with max brightness, the wife hated it due to this aswell and the thoughts of a oled on full brightness to cope with daytime viewing isn’t gonna do much for the burn potential, sent it back I went for the Q90T

How you find the difference in the 2?

How you find the difference in the 2?
For my viewing and comparing the two the Q90T blows the LG out of the water, but now viewing both I think I prefer the more punchier vibrancy of the qled I found the LG flat even though the blacks were perfect the picture lacked colour depth in my eyes also due to having to put it up to full brightness on the oled light to even get a basic level of brightness in daylight compared to a led tv I was worried about the long life of the panel, also had a two pronounced lines in the screen with moving grey moving backgrounds over them, maybe I got a bad panel but the brightness underwhelmed me, they look great in the showroom with those deep blacks and colours but real life different story, the Q90T gets as black as I need, I’d say 90-95 % of the oled, with only quarter of the brightness needed for daytime viewing and the colours are far more punchy, these are my thoughts and others will disagree as my viewing conditions will be different to others

thanks, nice to see a different view of the cx. i have an a1 oled and find it brilliant but looking a new tv for a games room and also torn between these too, although the sony xh9005 seems to be making some good noise for cheaper.

It's all about preference.....personally I couldn't live with ABL on OLEDs as it would annoy the hell out of me but I know others do. I would avoid the XH9005 as its very poor....i returned mine and got the XH9505 and difference is night and day

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom