LG CX vs LG B1

Cakefish

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently started a thread about selecting a TV. I was set on 55” Samsung QN94A for £1529 (EPP discount) but my brother has successfully persuaded me to save my money and go with the heavily discounted LG OLEDs instead.

Which one would you recommend?

LG CX (£1066 £1024)

• Slightly better image processing
  • Dolby Vision games at 120fps
  • 4x HDMI 2.1 ports

LG B1 (£1169)

• Freeview Play
  • New magic remote design
  • WebOS 6.0 with Game Optimiser

Last edited:
I've got the CX, my thoughts vs the 'pros' of the B1 that you mentioned:
  • Freeview play. This isn't relevant to me since I we got TV through Virgin, so have their V6 box
  • New magic remote. From looking at images of it, I actually prefer the design of the one that comes with the CX. The 'magic tap' feature does sound quite cool but I'm wondering how much I'd actually use it. I certainly don't think it would be a selling point for me.
  • WebOS6 does look quite nice. Not really too sure what Game optimiser does that the CX doesn't already do (CX has VRR support and iirc input lag of around 1m/s in game mode anyway)

Thanks for the reply!

I extracted a little more info from LG support. They confirmed that Dolby Vision games at 120Hz is not in the pipeline for B series OLEDs. They also confirmed that the AI and upscaling features of the Alpha 9 Gen 3 and Virtual Surround audio features have moved down the product stack to Alpha 7 Gen 4 this year. Enhanced AI brightness control is apparently exclusive to 2021 processors. They additionally confirmed the lack of All4 UK catch up TV app on all of their 2020 TVs.

Last edited:
Hmmm, there's a function in the CX to adjust brightness based on ambient room lighting, so not sure how this differs from AI brightness control.
Re: All4 app, yeah a lot of people are peeved about that. Personally I don't care though because I've never used All4, if I were to want to use it in the future I would just play catchup via virgin or stream to TV from the app on my phone/ipad.

It’s apparently improved on the 2021 processors. That’s what the support rep said.

I don’t watch Channel 4 that much but at the same time I also don’t anticipate playing many of the new games at 120fps either on my Xbox Series X (I’d usually prioritise higher graphical fidelity at 60fps as that’s what I do with my PC).

Yeah, I generally go for fidelity vs frame rate too. Absolutely love the ray tracing effects on AC: Valhalla as an example. I think it's good to have the option available for if I want to use it though. The B1 will still do 120fps mind, just seems that 2 of the HMDI ports are 2.1 as opposed to all 4 on the CX.

Considering the CX and C1 are near identical apart from stuff like game optimiser and a few minor improvements in other areas, I would get the CX over the B1 surely?
Not only that it's cheaper.

CX just got a price drop to £1024. So I think that's enough to sway it.

Also concerned that B1 shares the same flaw as BX - lower brightness than C series. LG support couldn't give me any info about that.

Thanks all!

With 5/6 year warranty? Burn in covered? Sounds a good deal

By all accounts, LG have made it actually challenging to get burn in on their recent TV's. Of course though, since they haven't been out long we have no info on if this is actually true or not. If it is a concern, John Lewis offer extended cover, that does cover burn in for an additional £140

The £1024 price is at AO.com so just the standard 1 year warranty. I guess that’s why they‘re offering it for so little!

Everyone says that burn in is no longer an issue on LG OLEDs so I’ll just have to trust them.

Screenshot_20210625_100742_com.tippingcanoe.hukd.jpg

What discount code did they use?

I’ve searched and I can’t find anything at all.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210625_122412_com.tippingcanoe.hukd.jpgtaken of hot deals this morning. Found it when looking for a mate

£864 for the b series from hughes ebay store with code

£864 for the b series from hughes ebay store with code
Thanks for letting me know but that must have been a mistake that PRC Direct corrected as I can’t apply that code to my basket with the 55 CX. It keeps telling me that it is invalid. That must be why it was taken off Hot UK Deals.

Appreciate you letting me know though! That would have been an even better deal.

Thanks for the reply!

I extracted a little more info from LG support. They confirmed that Dolby Vision games at 120Hz is not in the pipeline for B series OLEDs. They also confirmed that the AI and upscaling features of the Alpha 9 Gen 3 and Virtual Surround audio features have moved down the product stack to Alpha 7 Gen 4 this year. Enhanced AI brightness control is apparently exclusive to 2021 processors. They additionally confirmed the lack of All4 UK catch up TV app on all of their 2020 TVs.
I've read otherwise that LG will be offering Dolby Vision at 4K/120 on the B1:

But there's a good video from HDTVtest which suggests that turning DV on for 4K/120hz probably isn't the best thing to do right now:

I've read otherwise that LG will be offering Dolby Vision at 4K/120 on the B1:

But there's a good video from HDTVtest which suggests that turning DV on for 4K/120hz probably isn't the best thing to do right now:

Oh, maybe B1 would have been better then. Hmmm. It was still a bit more expensive though. Still no information on whether it has the same panel as the CX or if it uses the BX one that was noticeably dimmer, so it’s a risky purchase I suppose.

I extracted a little more info from LG support.
Be careful with this, they often don't have the correct information/don't know what they are talking about.

Do you need Dolby Vision 120hz?

Processing is lauded a lot with TVs, but makes very little difference year to year. You'd probably have to go back to the C6 in 2016 to notice a visible difference.

Be careful with this, they often don't have the correct information/don't know what they are talking about.

Do you need Dolby Vision 120hz?

Processing is lauded a lot with TVs, but makes very little difference year to year. You'd probably have to go back to the C6 in 2016 to notice a visible difference.
Yeah turns out they didn’t know what they were talking about as Dolby Vision at 120Hz is confirmed for B1. I guess that information hasn’t trickled down to support lines yet!

No I don’t really need DV120, as I assume any game natively encoded in Dolby Vision will probably end up being too graphically demanding for the Xbox to run at 120Hz. Nice bonus to have though, even if it only proves useful in a handful of games.

Hopefully I still made the right choice vs B1 (which was £145 more expensive)? My biggest fear about B1 was it sharing the same brightness limitation of the LG BX. There‘s no information on the B1 anywhere as all reviewers have collectively shunned it, so I just have to assume it is similar to the BX. As you probably remember from my previous recent thread I was seriously considering Samsung mini QLED for the brightness so I really wanted to get the brightest OLED possible in my budget! The compromise I settled on was buying blackout curtains to ensure reflections can be minimised.

Hopefully burn in won’t be an issue, I’ll have to research how to minimise the risk while gaming!

I think the CX was the right decision, to consider a new 2021 model you'd need to look at the C1, not the B1...and even the C1 is not noticeable better than the CX.

Gains are not made year to year that makes a modern B series better than an older C series, it takes longer for things to improve that way.

I think the CX was the right decision, to consider a new 2021 model you'd need to look at the C1, not the B1...and even the C1 is not noticeable better than the CX.

Gains are not made year to year that makes a modern B series better than an older C series, it takes longer for things to improve that way.
That’s reassuring to read - thanks very much for your advice/opinions Dodge and everybody else!

I have my fingers crossed that I don’t lose the panel lottery when it arrives tomorrow!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom