LG CX vs GX?

MixMaster Rick

Novice Member
All,

I'm new to this forum so thanks in advance for your help.

In the next few weeks I will be purchasing a new TV and have narrowed it down to LG OLED. The question(s) I have are whether to purchase the CX or the GX. In a week I have an in-home consultation from Best Buy but I wanted to get your help as well. My focus is on a screen size no less than 75". My questions are below and again, thank you for your time.

• Are there any other manufacturers like Samsung QLED that offer the same quality as what I've heard about the LG OLED?
  • From what I've seen, the main difference between the LG CX and GX series is the processor and the GX's ability to truly flush mount to my wall. Is this accurate?
  • If I go with the GX flush mount, how do I wire up the TV to allow for future expansion? I don't want to hire Geek Squad to come out if I add a new HDMI component. Do I have to pre-wire in advance all available HDMI, USB, etc or is it easy to add devices after the fact?
  • As I look at the rear-view pictures it looks like the wiring is flush mount but how do the cables snake into my wall? I see what looks like a second compartment on the bottom of the TV. Is that accurate?
  • Sound...What do most of you do to provide surround sound; do you use Bluetooth or wired? As an example, I have a complete SONOS system including Playbar, Sub and two Play 1's in another room. Is this a good start or do you recommend something else?
  • An associate at Best Buy mentioned that there is an external box that connects to the TV itself and it provides connections. Is this true?
  • Lastly, to all OLED users, are you happy with it?
Thanks again,

Rick

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
1. nope.

2. GX and CX have same internals but GX is for flush wall mounting.

3. I assume you have ducting for cables were its going to be wall mounted, run 4 ultra high speed HDMI cables (the correct name for HDMI 2.1 cables) to connect to the TV's 4 ports even if your not using all of them. Also run USB cables.

5. Sonos playbar is not much use, does not support any surround sound audio formats and is optical only so stereo basically, I'd stick with TV speakers for the short term.

6. not that I'm aware of but there is an external box for LG's 8K models but this isn't one of those.

7. image quality cant be beaten, its not perfect OLED does have its downsides and needs responsible ownership, dont go leaving static images on the TV for several hours a day. Also dont place an OLED in direct sunlight that will damaged the screen.

MixMaster Rick

Novice Member
1. nope.

2. GX and CX have same internals but GX is for flush wall mounting.

3. I assume you have ducting for cables were its going to be wall mounted, run 4 ultra high speed HDMI cables (the correct name for HDMI 2.1 cables) to connect to the TV's 4 ports even if your not using all of them. Also run USB cables.

5. Sonos playbar is not much use, does not support any surround sound audio formats and is optical only so stereo basically, I'd stick with TV speakers for the short term.

6. not that I'm aware of but there is an external box for LG's 8K models but this isn't one of those.

7. image quality cant be beaten, its not perfect OLED does have its downsides and needs responsible ownership, dont go leaving static images on the TV for several hours a day. Also dont place an OLED in direct sunlight that will damaged the screen.
This is VERY helpful and thanks for the specifics. I am surprised that the two models are the exact same internals. I'll be purchasing all new HDMI as well as USB for the installation.

Thanks again!

MixMaster Rick

Novice Member
i have both - they are both the same panels, with different mounting methods.
Wow - I had no idea. Best Buy said they were a bit different in processing among other things and that they both came out in 2020. Have you had them calibrated after a burn-in period? I will be purchasing in a week.

Thanks!

Haniyyah

Just be aware the new range is due out in May time I think. Might be Worth waiting till then if you can.

MixMaster Rick

Novice Member
Just be aware the new range is due out in May time I think. Might be Worth waiting till then if you can.
Hi - I read that but will need to move forward much sooner. The new series will most certainly cost more as well. Sounds like everyone feels the LG GX is a great choice. I've always been a Samsung guy but am looking forward to a change.

MixMaster Rick

Novice Member
If I could ask a follow-up question on this regarding the HDMI 2.1 cables I'll need to use with the GX...
Does anyone have a suggestion on manufacturer of the cables I should buy?

Haniyyah

For gaming with a 3080 series card I used 3 until I finally stopped getting black screen flashes. The one that seems to be ok for me is Maxonar 8K 2.1 HDMI Certified.

Zarf2007

These pass the Denon high speed cable test, I have verified they work at 4K/120hz on PS5 also:

Amazon product

MixMaster Rick

Novice Member
Thanks for your help. I should have mentioned I am in the US. That link was for Amazon in the UK and the cable is unavailable in the US.

capt_janeway

Jumping on this as I think LG is the one for me and wondering if the mounting is the only different between the two?

I will have them on a TV console table, so if I go for the GX I know I'll have to buy a stand.....but is there any differences at all other than that to justify the price difference? I have heard the in-built sound may be better on the GX.....

Thanks

chenks

if you are not going to wall mount the TV then the GX is a waste of money.
get the CX instead, other than the audio being slightly different and the rear of them looking different there is no difference between the two in terms of the OLED panel etc

TripleJay

Standard Member
As chenks said.
GX audio is:
  • Speaker System
  • 4.2 Channel
  • Speaker Direction
  • Down Firing
  • Output Power
  • 60W (20W Woofer)
CX audio is:
  • Speaker System
  • 2.2 Channel
  • Speaker Direction
  • Front Firing (Reflector)
  • Output Power
  • 40W (20W Woofer)
PQ wise all the same.

MixMaster Rick

Novice Member
All,

Thanks for your time and suggestions.
I ended up buying the GX 77" and it's being installed next week. I also bought four (4) Audioquest 48 8K cables as well as their Toslink. I decided to use the SONOS system I have in another room for now. It's definitely a pretty good start. Because once this is wall mounted I don't want to have to take it down for any wiring I'll add some USB cables. For the life of me I can't think of how I'd use them. What do you use them for? How good is the remote that comes with it?
Thanks!

MixMaster Rick

Novice Member
Does anyone use USB on the LG GX TV's? If so for what? I am thinking of adding some cables since this is being mounted flush on my wall with all cabling In-Wall. I'd hate to put it up and not have access to the ports so I might as well run USB extensions through the wall and have them ready to go.
So if I do this do I need to get USB A Male to USB A Female cords or a USB A Extender cable?

Last edited:

TripleJay

Standard Member
I did just that, put an USB extender cable (male to female Hama predlžovací USB 3.0 AA, 1,8 m, modrý - Dátový kábel | Alza.sk) so i dont need to use side slots. I use it for SW upgrades and to connect external HDD (2,5" 1TB WD). I read there might be an issue that extender usb cable doesnt power external HDD properly, but I have no problems with my cable.

Last edited:

Donny10iar

Standard Member
All,

I'm new to this forum so thanks in advance for your help.

In the next few weeks I will be purchasing a new TV and have narrowed it down to LG OLED. The question(s) I have are whether to purchase the CX or the GX. In a week I have an in-home consultation from Best Buy but I wanted to get your help as well. My focus is on a screen size no less than 75". My questions are below and again, thank you for your time.

• Are there any other manufacturers like Samsung QLED that offer the same quality as what I've heard about the LG OLED?
  • From what I've seen, the main difference between the LG CX and GX series is the processor and the GX's ability to truly flush mount to my wall. Is this accurate?
  • If I go with the GX flush mount, how do I wire up the TV to allow for future expansion? I don't want to hire Geek Squad to come out if I add a new HDMI component. Do I have to pre-wire in advance all available HDMI, USB, etc or is it easy to add devices after the fact?
  • As I look at the rear-view pictures it looks like the wiring is flush mount but how do the cables snake into my wall? I see what looks like a second compartment on the bottom of the TV. Is that accurate?
  • Sound...What do most of you do to provide surround sound; do you use Bluetooth or wired? As an example, I have a complete SONOS system including Playbar, Sub and two Play 1's in another room. Is this a good start or do you recommend something else?
  • An associate at Best Buy mentioned that there is an external box that connects to the TV itself and it provides connections. Is this true?
  • Lastly, to all OLED users, are you happy with it?
Thanks again,

Rick
Cx and GX are the same only difference is the design on the GX and maybe the speakers are a bit better but as far as processor etc they are the same

MixMaster Rick

Novice Member
Well, I bought the OLED77GXPUA and it's been up and running almost two weeks. I absolutely love it. Best Buy's Geek Squad installed it but when they completed flush mounting it they noticed that the bottom of the TV's screen from left to right seamed to have a wave effect, like a ripple so they let me keep it until they came back a week later with a replacement that's perfect. One thing to note on LG TV's is their network cards, wired and WiFi seem to have limited throughput by design. I had an open ticket for a week with support and the explanation was that doing any kind of Speedtest through their browser would be limited to 50Mbps but in actuality it would allow as much as 1300Mbps as needed. I tested both wired and wireless and did in fact cap-out around 65Mbps yet my computer plugged into the same router or via WiFi reached 940Mbps (Wired) and 750Mbps (WiFi). So for anyone testing I saw the same results with the original TV with the defective screen as well as the replacement. I hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom