LG CX vs BX vs Panasonic GZ950

MJSx

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm just looking at the latest deals in anticipation for BF tomorrow, I'm looking to get a 65" OLED. I've seen last years GZ950 has dropped to £1499 this week which seems like a good deal for a 65 inch OLED (although I've heard the built in sound is not that good), I'm just wondering how it compares to the other OLEDs which I'm guessing will be closer to the BX and CX in price tomorrow. I know the BX has a slightly lower peak Brightness and worse processor compared to the CX but in the context of the GZ950 I don't know how they all compare, would appreciate any insight.

No modern TV has decent sound unless it's one of the high-end ones with a built-in soundbar.

Black Friday deals are pretty much here already, there may be small drops over the weekend as retailers compete but I doubt they'll go much further until possibly the New Year or next Spring when the new models come out.

The GZ950 is probably the better TV for movies and TV, The LG, if you want to game on it, particularly with one of the next-gen consoles as the LG has HDMI 2.1#

It's slim though. I'd be very happy with either.

Fair enough, I only game with a switch so hdmi 2.1 isn't a concern for me and a firestick can replace Panasonic's sluggish interface so looking like GZ950 is the one to go for atm. I'm just wondering if there's much PQ/Brightness difference between the BX and the GZ950 as they're so similarly priced now.

I'm in the same boat as you, likely to purchase tomorrow but not expecting any big deals. The BX is my current front runner, having Airplay on it is a must for me which I don't think the Panny has.

Fair enough, I only game with a switch so hdmi 2.1 isn't a concern for me and a firestick can replace Panasonic's sluggish interface so looking like GZ950 is the one to go for atm. I'm just wondering if there's much PQ/Brightness difference between the BX and the GZ950 as they're so similarly priced now.
The GZ950 will be a at least 100 nits brighter for HDR content and will also have much better near black performance eg less flashing/macroblocking. I wouldn't even give the BX a thought in comparison.
For me it was between the GZ950, HZ980, HZ1000 and the LG CX. After reading and watching many reviews I decided to go with panasonic for better near black performance and no flashing and raised blacks with HDR.
I really wanted the HZ1000 but couldn't justify spending £700 extra for marginal improvements so I purchased the GZ950. £1499 with 5 year warranty from Crampton and Moore. A bargain in my opinion

It's slim though. I'd be very happy with either.
Just ordered the CX. Previously had a 51" Vizio from 2011 before it died this year. The fact the CX is so slim terrifies me about moving it around. Don't want it to break. Hopefully it's more durable than it looks...had to move my old tv around quite a bit and could just throw it in the back seat of the truck without much worries lol

Have a look at the GX then, it's really slim (and too expensive ...)

The GZ950 will be a at least 100 nits brighter for HDR content and will also have much better near black performance eg less flashing/macroblocking. I wouldn't even give the BX a thought in comparison.
For me it was between the GZ950, HZ980, HZ1000 and the LG CX. After reading and watching many reviews I decided to go with panasonic for better near black performance and no flashing and raised blacks with HDR.
I really wanted the HZ1000 but couldn't justify spending £700 extra for marginal improvements so I purchased the GZ950. £1499 with 5 year warranty from Crampton and Moore. A bargain in my opinion
Anecdotal I know, but are you satisfied with the GZ950 then, any concerns?

I'm in the same boat as you, likely to purchase tomorrow but not expecting any big deals. The BX is my current front runner, having Airplay on it is a must for me which I don't think the Panny has.
I had thought that too as a fellow Apple user, however with Roku now supporting airplay 2 don't think I can justify it changing my purchase decision.

Anecdotal I know, but are you satisfied with the GZ950 then, any concerns?

I haven't received it yet. I purchased a couple of days ago at £1499. The only thing I'm worried about is the occasional frame skip issue. Some people don't notice it and some people do.

The GZ950 is a great TV and a good deal at £200 less than the HZ980 that replaces it.

Is the HZ980 a worthwhile improvement on the GZ950 and, if so, what is better specifically?

I'm looking at getting a 55" and, while I've seen good things said in reviews about the GZ950, I can't find any reviews for the HZ980. There's just news of its launch and it seems Panasonic didn't provide test units as this lower end model isn't a priority for them.

Last edited:
Is the HZ980 an improvement on the GZ950 and, if so, what is better specifically?

I'm looking at getting a 55" and, while I've seen good things said in reviews about the GZ950, I can't find any reviews for the HZ980. There's just news of its launch and it seems Panasonic didn't provide test units as this lower end model isn't a priority for them.
I've got a GZ950 and I'd say the only real improvement is the HZ980 has eArc if you need it

I've got a GZ950 and I'd say the only real improvement is the HZ980 has eArc if you need it
Thanks, that's helpful. I don't think I need e-Arc as my sound system is only ARC enabled so wouldn't benefit from the higher bitrates.

Are you generally very pleased with the GZ950? How do you find the motion handling? This is the only concern I've really picked up on with either the GZ950b or HZ980b as they use Panasonic's Smooth Motion Drive and not Smooth Motion Drive Pro which is on the HZ1000b and above - sadly out of my budget.

Thanks, that's helpful. I don't think I need e-Arc as my sound system is only ARC enabled so wouldn't benefit from the higher bitrates.

Are you generally very pleased with the GZ950? How do you find the motion handling? This is the only concern I've really picked up on with either the GZ950b or HZ980b as they use Panasonic's Smooth Motion Drive and not Smooth Motion Drive Pro which is on the HZ1000b and above - sadly out of my budget.
I've got no complaints I've had the gz950 for a year and a half now and its a brilliant tv I think the HZ980 is a bargain at the price you'd have to have the 2 tvs side by side and watch the same content and I think you'd be hard pressed to see any difference

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom