LG CX uniformity issues

Kinpa

Novice Member
Hello guys, just recently bought the LG CX 65 inch version and so far i didnt have any major issues with it and experience has been great, however yesterday i decided to watch some youtube 4k hdr videos just to enjoy the picture, then i noticed in black scenes with bright objects on the screen what is considered blooming which from my knowledge should be impossible, however i wrote it off as something i didn't see correctly. A few hours later i opened a youtube video of a completely black screen and brought up the tv pointer which is red and bright and around it a noticed it again the blooming. I went very close to the the screen to confirm that i am seeing something weird and yeah i guess i have blooming on an oled somehow. My question is could it actually be blooming, or maybe it's something else, maybe even faulty panel or perhaps its something normal. For reference i see the blooming in this video at exactly 3 seconds when the letters appear, if someone with an oled could check if they something weird or if its just my panel. Thank you in advance!

In case of the video you provided I would say that the blooming comes from the video itself. Could be an effect from the recording camera or Youtube's compression which might also add to the blooming effect.

My suggestions would be to try a different video, for example Sony's "Swordsmith" or LG's "The Black" demo videos. Another good test is to start a 4K movie and go to the credits where you would usually have white text on a black background.

You can also check out rtings.com contrast pattern and see if it causes any blooming on your side: https://s3.amazonaws.com/rtings/130.png

Kinpa

Novice Member
In case of the video you provided I would say that the blooming comes from the video itself. Could be an effect from the recording camera or Youtube's compression which might also add to the blooming effect.

My suggestions would be to try a different video, for example Sony's "Swordsmith" or LG's "The Black" demo videos. Another good test is to start a 4K movie and go to the credits where you would usually have white text on a black background.

You can also check out rtings.com contrast pattern and see if it causes any blooming on your side: https://s3.amazonaws.com/rtings/130.png
Good suggestion tried the credits after a show in netflix and yeah i can see blooming it's not something crazy but it is noticeable for sure

Good suggestion tried the credits after a show in netflix and yeah i can see blooming it's not something crazy but it is noticeable for sure
Just a wild guess, but maybe you have the protective plastic film on the display which might diffuse the light. Did you remove the plastic film from the display?

The OLED TV which I previously owned did not have any blooming (depending on the content of course) since on an OLED display every tiny pixel emits it's own light - meaning that you don't need a backlight which would cause blooming.

If this blooming is something that you are worried about or don't like then maybe you should get in touch with LG or the retailer you bought the TV from and have the TV checked.

BTW, the correct title for your case would be "LG CX OLED blooming issue". The "Uniformity Issue" is something different, where a grey image (at about 5%) shows a banding effect. For more information see the following thread:

Stinger69

The effect that you describe can also be caused by your eyes. A poor tear layer, or early signs of a cataract for example. Try covering the brightest part of the picture with your hand, if you still see the blooming at the edges, chances are it's the telly.

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom