LG CX & PS4 Pro black level

Evenflow80

Novice Member
im having a reslly hard time with the "black level" tv setting and my PS4 Pro.

Low is exactly the same as Auto. Zero difference, but High makes the colors washed out and puts this hazy filter on the screen that makes bright objects less bright, but putting it on auto makes the shadows too harsh and while bright light looks brighter, the dark shadows look too sharp and dark

Is there a happy medium? Why doesn't low do anything?

Thank you for any help!

CarlB

im having a reslly hard time with the "black level" tv setting and my PS4 Pro.

Low is exactly the same as Auto. Zero difference, but High makes the colors washed out and puts this hazy filter on the screen that makes bright objects less bright, but putting it on auto makes the shadows too harsh and while bright light looks brighter, the dark shadows look too sharp and dark

Is there a happy medium? Why doesn't low do anything?

Thank you for any help!
Make sure the PS4 is set to ‘limited’ RGB level in its menu and not Automatic. PS4 = limited, OLED = Low will give correct results.

Evenflow80

Novice Member
Make sure the PS4 is set to ‘limited’ RGB level in its menu and not Automatic. PS4 = limited, OLED = Low will give correct results.
Sadly that doesn't do anything when I tried. Low is still exactly the same as auto. Both have shadows that are too sharp and harsh, while High is slightly washed out

CarlB

Sadly that doesn't do anything when I tried. Low is still exactly the same as auto. Both have shadows that are too sharp and harsh, while High is slightly washed out
But have you set the PS4 to Limited instead of Automatic for RGB level? The automatic setting does not work correctly and results in black crush.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Auto will be low, but the ps4 doesn't always do a great job at selecting the correct setting and mismatches the settings on ps4 and TV.

Select limited on PS4 and low on TV.

Then perform the HDR calibration setup on the ps4.

next010

Distinguished Member
As others have said Low/Limited is correct.

There should be no difference in sharpness so I'm unsure what your seeing there.

Something else you could try is change the PS4 Pro video output resolution from 2160p-RGB to 2160p-YUV this is technically a degrade in 8-bit SDR image quality but its worth a try to see if you perceive a difference (LG actually processes YUV a little better than RGB).

YUV has no Low/High it is equivalent to Low only & all HDR output on the Pro is 10-bit YUV.

Evenflow80

Novice Member
I should
As others have said Low/Limited is correct.

There should be no difference in sharpness so I'm unsure what your seeing there.

Something else you could try is change the PS4 Pro video output resolution from 2160p-RGB to 2160p-YUV this is technically a degrade in 8-bit SDR image quality but its worth a try to see if you perceive a difference (LG actually processes YUV a little better than RGB).

YUV has no Low/High it is equivalent to Low only & all HDR output on the Pro is 10-bit YUV.

I should Clarify im talking strictly about HDR as that's all I play on ps4.

next010

Distinguished Member
I should

I should Clarify im talking strictly about HDR as that's all I play on ps4.
Then it should be on Low for both SDR and HDR.

Run the PS4 HDR calibration tool in its video settings and beyond that its TV game mode picture settings that you should be tweaking to your liking not any setting on the PS4.

Under HDR game mode picture options there are two other modes which affect HDR output;
HDR dynamic tone mapping - works on all HDR games but can alter output beyond what creator intended making some scenes darker and brighter.

HGIG - works only with compatible HDR games to optimize them based on the displays HDR capabilities, so doesn't alter the output too much but there are only a handful of games on PS4 Pro that support it.

Last edited:

Evenflow80

Novice Member
Then it should be on Low for both SDR and HDR.

Run the PS4 HDR calibration tool in its video settings and beyond that its TV game mode picture settings that you should be tweaking to your liking not any setting on the PS4.

Under HDR game mode picture options there are two other modes which affect HDR output;
HDR dynamic tone mapping - works on all HDR games but can alter output beyond what creator intended making some scenes darker and brighter.

HGIG - works only with compatible HDR games to optimize them based on the displays HDR capabilities, so doesn't alter the output too much but there are only a handful of games on PS4 Pro that support it.
Its a tough one. Sometimes the High black level makes the shadows less harsh and the overall picture has this pleasant filter on it and colors looks better, but in night or dark scenes its way too bright and not in a natural way , just looks like contrast is on to high. But in bright day time scenes with it set to Low the shadows can be really harsh and the overall shading makes somethings darker and less vibrant but on the plus side, bright objects are way brighter .

I dont know which i prefer tbh

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom