LG CX - painful stuttering in Game mode

Evenflow80

Established Member
Reaction score
im just astonished this isn't a much bigger issue that's being brought up way more ?

I was so excited to get the LG CX to try with my PS4 Pro... all the reviews said its the best tv ever for HDR Gaming.

Got the tv and excitedly tried alot of my games in HDR and of course in Gaming mode.... only to my utter despair saw how much stutter there is when camera pans around or there is any fast movement. The stuttering is almost making me nauseous.

Motionflow on game mode only adds this bizarre black filter that , for an inexplicable reason, actually amplifies that stuttering and makes it even worse .

Other modes like "standard" have MotionFlow "Smooth" and then its smooth as butter. But everyone and their mother says Game mode is a must yet inexplicably ive never seen anyone complain about the nauseating stuttetering in that game mode and how apparnely only solution is to turn off HDR in games ?

What gives ? Why isn't this a much much MUCH bigger factor in reviews? RTINGS gave this tv such high marks for HDR gaming . How can anyone tolerate this stuttering mess in game mode? Why on earth would anyone think going from the other silky amooth motion of other modes into the stuttering mess of game mode is somehow better for gaming?

I dont think there is but is there something wrong with my tv or something with my settings? Am I using wrong HDMI port ?

Finally if its really like this in game mode , can I just play on standard mode? Why is game mode such a requirement for gaming anyways?

Thanks everyone for the help

Hi

Perhaps post your settings for game mode and PS4 video settings, game mode for me is butter smooth, there must be an issue somewhere.

Hi

Perhaps post your settings for game mode and PS4 video settings, game mode for me is butter smooth, there must be an issue somewhere.

Im worried something is wrong with my tv....

Ps4 pro, these are steps I followed:

1. From PS4™, Go to [Settings].
  2. Select [Sound and Screen] > [Video Output Settings].
  3. Select [HDR], and check [Automatic].
  4. Go back to [Video Output Settings] > [Deep Color Output] and check [Automatic]
For game mode im using the default settings, just increased color to 75 and thats basically it.

Do you have ghost of tsushima?

Im worried something is wrong with my tv....

Ps4 pro, these are steps I followed:

1. From PS4™, Go to [Settings].
  2. Select [Sound and Screen] > [Video Output Settings].
  3. Select [HDR], and check [Automatic].
  4. Go back to [Video Output Settings] > [Deep Color Output] and check [Automatic]
For game mode im using the default settings, just increased color to 75 and thats basically it.

Do you have ghost of tsushima?

Yes and it was fine, no stutter. something clearly wrong somewhere if you are noticing stutter in games .

Hard to say what to try, maybe a reset of TV, different hdmi cable?

Is your PS4 connected to AVR or direct to TV? try it direct if not.

Most likely reasons
1) Something faulty with your TV.
or
2) Your sensitive to low FPS OLED motion stutter (notice in rtings review the stutter score).

Because of the ultra fast response time of OLED low FPS content stutters, some people perceive this but most don't. If your on LCD with its slower response time this low FPS motion stutter isn't as much of a problem.

The bulk of the games on the PS4 are 30fps based hence why to those who are sensitive it is a problem.

To verify its issue 2 play 60fps only games (e.g Doom Eternal, CoD, DMC5)* and see if you still perceive the stutter, if you don't then its problem 2 but if you do see stutter then it may be problem 1.

* A number of PS4 Pro games have a 60fps performance mode like ghost of tsushima, switch to that in its settings.

Without game mode active you will have very high input lag so the time to press on the controller and what happens on screen will be longer.

Last edited:
Which games.

Only reason I ask is there option in some games to alter blur and that has a stuttering affect.

I dont have stutter on mine... hust a bloody line thats appeared

Most likely reasons
or
2) Your sensitive to low FPS OLED motion stutter (notice in rtings review the stutter score).

Because of the ultra fast response time of OLED low FPS content stutters, some people perceive this but most don't. If your on LCD with its slower response time this low FPS motion stutter isn't as much of a problem.

The bulk of the games on the PS4 are 30fps based hence why to those who are sensitive it is a problem.

To verify its issue 2 play 60fps only games (e.g Doom Eternal, CoD, DMC5)* and see if you still perceive the stutter, if you don't then its problem 2 but if you do see stutter then it may be problem 1.

* A number of PS4 Pro games have a 60fps performance mode like ghost of tsushima, switch to that in its settings.

Without game mode active you will have very high input lag so the time to press on the controller and what happens on screen will be longer.

I feel like I'm going crazy.

Its extremely noticeable. When I turn off HDR its gone. When I switch to another mode and turn on motion flow it's fine. If I turn off motiinflow its stuttering again . Ghost if tsushima is 30 fps or less per Digital Foundry

Yes and it was fine, no stutter. something clearly wrong somewhere if you are noticing stutter in games .

Hard to say what to try, maybe a reset of TV, different hdmi cable?

Is your PS4 connected to AVR or direct to TV? try it direct if not.

Sorry to ask again as I want to make sure before I return the TV:

In ghost of tsushima :

1) turn on HDR and Game mode
2) pan canera around quickly ( keep circling it)
3) note any stuttering
4) switch to Standard mode and repeat same test

You dont see huge difference how smooth it is ?

Sorry to ask again as I want to make sure before I return the TV:

In ghost of tsushima :

1) turn on HDR and Game mode
2) pan canera around quickly ( keep circling it)
3) note any stuttering
4) switch to Standard mode and repeat same test

You dont see huge difference how smooth it is ?

I'm not at my console to check Im afraid, personally I would try the advice above posted by @next010 and also do you notice this in all games as mentioned as well?

Which games.

Only reason I ask is there option in some games to alter blur and that has a stuttering affect.

I dont have stutter on mine... hust a bloody line thats appeared

Ghost of tsushima or assasian creed origins and odyssey . If you have these and can repeat steps in above post is be really in your debt

HDMI 2 is the ARC port.

Sorry yes its on portc
Most likely reasons
or

Doesn't Instant Game Reponse setting give you low input lag regardless of what screen mode you have ?

Ghost of tsushima or assasian creed origins and odyssey . If you have these and can repeat steps in above post is be really in your debt

Those are 30fps games, look in settings for ghost there is a 60fps performance mode (for PS4 Pro only), the default quality mode is 30fps.

Or buy any old 60fps game like Doom 2016 etc.

Doesn't Instant Game Reponse setting give you low input lag regardless of what screen mode you have ?

Instant game responce is ALLM (automatic game mode) it applies something similar to game mode to whatever preset your using, last I checked the PS4 does not support it but maybe LG do some detecting on their part and force it.

Motionflow turns 30fps into 60fps but adds high input lag to the display as a result.

Those are 30fps games, look in settings for ghost there is a 60fps performance mode (for PS4 Pro only), the default quality mode is 30fps.

Instant game responce is ALLM (automatic game mode) it applies something similar to game mode to whatever preset your using, last I checked the PS4 does not support it but maybe LG do some detecting on their part and force it.

Motionflow turns 30fps into 60fps but adds high input lag to the display as a result.

Its wierd but I dont notice any input lag.... in either mode I press a button and it immediately responds on the screen .

That doesn't make Ghost 60fps, just locks it to 30 fps. Without it it dips below that sometimes. The Digital Foundry review goes into this in detail

Its wierd but I dont notice any input lag.... in either mode I press a button and it immediately responds on the screen .

You mean with trumotion on that typically is very noticeable with input lag especial in multiplayer but if you cant feel it then it should work as a solution of sorts for you.

That doesn't make Ghost 60fps, just locks it to 30 fps. Without it it dips below that sometimes. The Digital Foundry review goes into this in detail

Your right my mistake I was thinking of another samurai game Nioh , never the less try anything else that is 60fps to see if the stutter you observe persists that will let you know if its low 30FPS OLED stutter or something else (with trumotion disabled and using regular game mode preset).

I think Horizon Zero Dawn if you have that has a 60fps mode in its settings, cant recall 100% though.

Doo
You mean with trumotion on that typically is very noticeable with input lag especial in multiplayer but if you cant feel it then it should work as a solution of sorts for you.

Your right my mistake I was thinking of another samurai game Nioh , never the less try anything else that is 60fps to see if the stutter you observe persists that will let you know if its low 30FPS OLED stutter or something else (with trumotion disabled and using regular game mode preset).

I think Horizon Zero Dawn if you have that has a 60fps mode in its settings, cant recall 100% though.

I dont see the same stuttering on doom eternal. I had multiple people see the other game and they all see the stutter in game mode hdr when i pan camera aroind . I feel bad taking back the tv without a box so just want to make sure its really defective

Doo

I dont see the same stuttering on doom eternal. I had multiple people see the other game and they all see the stutter in game mode hdr when i pan camera aroind . I feel bad taking back the tv without a box so just want to make sure its really defective

From the sounds of it there is nothing wrong with the TV and its the low FPS motion stutter you see.

Options to keep the TV
1) Use the TV's trumotion feature on games that stutter if it's tolerable to you.

2) Switch to PC gaming were 60FPS is no problem.

3) Hope the PS5 fairs better, the PS5 will not run PS5 games at 60FPS as a base standard but Sony may upgrade older PS4 games to 60FPS. Most of the PS5 launch games are 30FPS but at least 2 have a 60FPS mode in their settings from what I've read. This is a gamble of course and Sony may only update a handful of PS4 games and you'd still be stuck with some PS5 30FPS titles.

One other possible solution is whats called LFC (low frame rate compensation) an optinal feature of variable refresh rate technology, this works by doubling or tripling frames and putting them into the VRR range of the display, 40-120hz in case of X series OLED.

So this could have the effect of removing stutter on low 30FPS games so long as your using the 120Hz output on the PS5 and the PS5 supports LFC, but it's unknown to what extent the PS5 will support HDMI-VRR and if it will support LFC at all.

If not happy with any of those options I would suggest returning the TV, no OLED will be any different at 30FPS, you have to stick with LCD.

Last edited:
From the sounds of it there is nothing wrong with the TV and its the low FPS motion stutter you see.

Options to keep the TV
1) Use the TV's trumotion feature on games that stutter if it's tolerable to you.

3) Hope the PS5 fairs better, the PS5 will not run PS5 games at 60FPS as a base standard but Sony may upgrade older PS4 games to 60FPS. Most of the PS5 launch games are 30FPS but at least 2 have a 60FPS mode in their settings from what I've read. This is a gamble of course and Sony may only update a handful of PS4 games and you'd still be stuck with some PS5 30FPS titles.

One other possible solution is whats called LFC (low frame rate compensation) an optinal feature of variable refresh rate technology, this works by doubling or tripling frames and putting them into the VRR range of the display, 40-120hz in case of X series OLED.

So this could have the effect of removing stutter on low 30FPS games so long as your using the 120Hz output on the PS5 and the PS5 supports LFC, but it's unknown to what extent the PS5 will support HDMI-VRR and if it will support LFC at all.

If not happy with any of those options I would suggest returning the TV, no OLED will be any different at 30FPS, you have to stick with LCD.

Jesus. Why then is this not a bigger deal in reviews etc? Why are people ok with this ?

Options to keep the TV

You seem to know a lot about this so I wanted to ask: im testing the input lag between game mode and standard + motionflow by playing assasian creed origins and Doom Eternal and constantly switching modes. So far i honestly can't tell the difference in responsiveness, i heard fighting games are almost impossible to play with input lag, is this true ? If doom eternal is not a game to really feel that input lag with then what game do you suggest? Thanks!

I had this issue when I had a Sony XH9005 with game mode being unusable. The Last Of Us 2 being the game of choice was horrid.....changed to any other picture mode and was amazing.

I cannot understand why this isn't a bigger, more well known issue. Any king of camera movement is game mode was just atrocious

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom