LG CX - painful stuttering in Game mode

Hey evenflow what did you end up doing with the tv? I was also considering this tv for Xbox one x. Have the Sony a1 at the minute but was considering HDMI 2.1 ready for next gen. A1 is great but has a high input lag, and I’m sure that’s why I’m rubbish on cod lol

Hey evenflow what did you end up doing with the tv? I was also considering this tv for Xbox one x. Have the Sony a1 at the minute but was considering HDMI 2.1 ready for next gen. A1 is great but has a high input lag, and I’m sure that’s why I’m rubbish on cod lol

Hey man. I've ended up keeping it. I'm worroed if I trade it in for the Samsung Q90T ill end up regretting it. It was a hard choice. I find that the imagr does look considerably better when I play at night in a dim light room, during rhe day even if my room isn't super bright the sceen is a bit dim.

I dont know man. My advice would be to buy from best buy and return within the generous 15 day period if you dont like it, just dont rip the box open like I did to make it easier to transport back

Cheers bud, I’m in the uk so don’t have Best Buy but good call on a returns retailer. Hope you get to enjoy it.
is there really a perfect tv lol

I guess my main concern at this point is that my tv isn't somehow defective and people.are seeing what I'm seeing
Your screen is fine,it is an Oled fast responding time technology issue ,it will affect any 30fps game even on ps5 or xsx, the situation changes only if LG implement something like "Samsung game motion plus"interpolation mode

Im not guy uou are talking to but I don't think its so much as LG misleading people but more like major supposedly reliable websites like Rtings giving this TV glowing reviews for HDR videogaming. In fact the 9.1 score they gave it for that category is the highest ever im aware of. Imagine my shock when I saw all the flickering and stuttering with all my 30fps games. It's a big deal and I really feel like it's an overlooked issue thats barely mentioned . In my mind HDR gaming means PS4 and Xbox One which have overwhelmingly 30fps games.

You do get used to it, but compared to my 4 year old LED the motion is way worse .

I agree with you every single step of the way. My friend had an extremely bad experience with stuttering on his brand new LG CX OLED, the same as you. He showed me the spider-man intro cutscene, and the newspapers are simply unreadable, the radio dial is unreadable, the notebook sketches are a pure mess, unindetifyable.
You are not crazy my fellow friend, your tv is not faulty either, unfortunately. Then, whe tested on a sony tv and we discovered the wonders of the x1 processor and motion flow processors, proprietary technology of SONY.
My recommendation is, buy a good sony tv (x900h), and be a happy customer. We also wondered why RTINGS and AV and TECHRADAR always put SONY tv's as underdogs, when they clearly are not. I'm guessing they are looking for something very different from us players in regards of performance of a tv for gaming, and i kept thinking why on earth they gave a tv the "best gaming tv" title without ever playing a couple of games on these "tested" tvs. Money scream louder perhaps? Samsung TV's are slightly better on stuttering than LG's, but they lifespans is waaaay shorter, and they are prone to break too fast, too easily. My advice is. Go with SONY, and have no regrets.

Sorry for my terrible english, not my native language. Ill try to put some footage here.

Some example of stuttering on GOD OF WAR ps4 PRO

Last edited:
I agree with you every single step of the way. My friend had an extremely bad experience with stuttering on his brand new LG CX OLED, the same as you. He showed me the spider-man intro cutscene, and the newspapers are simply unreadable, the radio dial is unreadable, the notebook sketches are a pure mess, unindetifyable.
You are not crazy my fellow friend, your tv is not faulty either, unfortunately. Then, whe tested on a sony tv and we discovered the wonders of the x1 processor and motion flow processors, proprietary technology of SONY.
My recommendation is, buy a good sony tv (x900h), and be a happy customer. We also wondered why RTINGS and AV and TECHRADAR always put SONY tv's as underdogs, when they clearly are not. I'm guessing they are looking for something very different from us players in regards of performance of a tv for gaming, and i kept thinking why on earth they gave a tv the "best gaming tv" title without ever playing a couple of games on these "tested" tvs. Money scream louder perhaps? Samsung TV's are slightly better on stuttering than LG's, but they lifespans is waaaay shorter, and they are prone to break too fast, too easily. My advice is. Go with SONY, and have no regrets.

Sorry for my terrible english, not my native language. Ill try to put some footage here.

this isn't to do with sony's image processing vs LG's image processing.

This is to do with LCD vs OLED.

OLED does sometimes play up and have stutter in these scenes because of the instant pixel response time. Its amazing for 60fps gameplay but its not great for <30fps gameplay because the pixels respond so quickly that the stutter is detectable.

and some people are more sensitive to the stutter than others.

fyi im surprised u think sony are the underdogs as everyone constantly says they have the best motion in the business. its simply an accepted fact.

just to back up my point.. sony OLED:

So its an LCD vs OLED problem and one of the rare occasions where LCD (and plasma) wins IMO. For high end PC gamers, this doesn't matter as they won't game sub 60fps but for console gamers, its an issue sure. For next gen cosnole games, I'm hoping its not as we seem to finally be hitting 60fps universally and i think cosnole gamers will love it and not want to go back,.

Last edited:
fyi for anyone thats wants to try and alleviate this problem, they can disable game mode/ALLM mode and enable tru motion in the settings on cinema clear or custom and put dejudder to 4 or 5.
if gaming in sdr or prepared to take a hit to brightness, u can try enabling oled motion pro.. again it might help alleviate the issue but not by much.

I think this problem will get better when we get PS5 and the new xbox as they have VRR so should be able to somewhat smooth out the framerate a little but who knows.

this isn't to do with sony's image processing vs LG's image processing.

This is to do with LCD vs OLED.

OLED does sometimes play up and have stutter in these scenes because of the instant pixel response time. Its amazing for 60fps gameplay but its not great for <30fps gameplay because the pixels respond so quickly that the stutter is detectable.

and some people are more sensitive to the stutter than others.

fyi im surprised u think sony are the underdogs as everyone constantly says they have the best motion in the business. its simply an accepted fact.

just to back up my point.. sony OLED:

So its an LCD vs OLED problem and one of the rare occasions where LCD (and plasma) wins IMO. For high end PC gamers, this doesn't matter as they won't game sub 60fps but for console gamers, its an issue sure. For next gen cosnole games, I'm hoping its not as we seem to finally be hitting 60fps universally and i think cosnole gamers will love it and not want to go back,.

I AGREEE this is an OLED PROBLEM, but that's when branding comes in.
My argument point was that on this said sites like tech radar, AV, RTINGS, they relate the LG CX and the samsung Q80T, to be BETTER then the Sony TV at 4k gaming, when this is NOT TRUE. Thats why i said they treat sony tv's as underdogs, as they always get lower grades and notes even when can solve a glaring problem like this. Like i said before, Samsung Q80T is an QLED tv (also LED) and has the same very problems as the LG CX on a minor scale, and that's when sony motion processors makes a difference. That's just my 2 cents to the discussion.

I AGREEE this is an OLED PROBLEM, but that's when branding comes in.
My argument point was that on this said sites like tech radar, AV, RTINGS, they relate the LG CX and the samsung Q80T, to be BETTER then the Sony TV at 4k gaming, when this is NOT TRUE. Thats why i said they treat sony tv's as underdogs, as they always get lower grades and notes even when can solve a glaring problem like this. Like i said before, Samsung Q80T is an QLED tv (also LED) and has the same very problems as the LG CX on a minor scale, and that's when sony motion processors makes a difference. That's just my 2 cents to the discussion.

Its an OLED panel issue.

Your 2 cents are wrong. It is not a motion processor issue. This is evidenced by Sony OLEDs and Panasonic OLEDs having the same motion processor but having the same issue. The issue is because OLED pixels refresh instantly so any slow framerate shots can show stutter whilst an LCD panels pixels don't refresh quickly, hence they can mask the issue. It is just a panel issue. Just so you understand this point I'll reiterate, Sony OLED TVs with the same motion processor have the same issue as the LG OLED CX with stutter in low framerate content.

Its a limitation of the technology similar to why LCD TVs have crap black levels, bloomings, halo effects, light bleed, ghosting, black smearing, poor viewing angles, etc.

This has nothing to do with motion interpolation. Its just a flaw of OLED because its too fast for 24p content.

Sony is probably presumed to be worse at gaming because it lacks ALLM, HDMI 2.1 and an instant pixel response time. So although Sony had an edge with <30fps games, it sucks compared to an OLED on 60FPS+ gaming and it also suffers from motion blur on all types of game.s

The whole point of LCD panels being able to handle low framerate content without stutter is because they have motion blur and an element of black smearing.

I would still say comfortably given OLED panels pack HDMI 2.1, VRR, ALLM, low input lag, instant pixel response time which makes gaming silky smooth if 60fps+, no motion blur or black smearing which can plague LCD panels (especially VA panels), the best in class pixel level HDR reproduction (important for games which are mastered to complex tone map instructions), they are superior.

So, although it would be nice for RTINGs to mention that OLEDs in HDR mode on video games <30fps can suffer from stutter, I still think they're right to say that LG OLEDs specifically with HDMI 2.1 are much better for gamers.

As video games shift to 60fps, this is only going to become even less important.

However for 24p issues, IMO it is sadly a drawback we have to deal with as OLED owners but in return we get the best in class picture quality available at homes. Its a small price to pay IMO but one of the few drawbacks of an OLED panel.

Evenflow80,

I'm sorry to hear the issues you've been experiencing. That sucks. We all just want to be able to sit down, and enjoy whatever we are watching or playing on our new TV.

I have a PS4 PRO and I am also playing Ghost of Tsushima. I got this TV a couple months ago, to replace my old Sony LCD TV. I've gotten to play a few other PS4 games. Overall I really like how games look and move on it. Especially games in HDR.

I've looked at your map video and wow. That does look annoying. But I'm not experiencing that in GOT with my settings. Here they are in several screenshots showing several of my settings. Maybe using those settings will help improve how it looks in map mode with those issues?

I did experiment with a few settings to try to replicate what you are seeing on your setup.

Switching from HDR to SDR in GOT seemed to make map movement look worse. It looked more like your video.

Switching Performance in GOT from Better Frame Rate to Higher Resolution also seemed to make map movement look worse. It looked more like your video.

I prefer to play games in HDR with the Cinema Home preset. When I switched it from that to the Game preset in HDR then that also seemed to make map movement look worse.

I also sort of recall that for PS4 PRO games, that some games will give you an option between picking a higher frame rate, or higher resolution. When I've tried out both in a game like Nioh and Nioh 2, I prefer the higher frame rate for this type of action game. This was on my old Sony as well as on my LG CX.

Also,

Interesting... i thought the brighnwss would make hdr colors pop more

It's the OLED's ability to have perfect black levels, that really makes the colors pop in HDR. Due to the enhanced contrast. As in, the OLED can I have the black part of the image off. Like how the full moon in GOT is almost too bright to look at in the dark night when it's in HDR? Pretty cool huh? Though you do need your viewing room to be sufficiently dark enough to really enjoy that. If your room is too bright, like from the sun or windows, then it getting a LCD that can be brighter might be an option.

Attachments

• 1 - PS4 Pro video settings.jpg
    1 - PS4 Pro video settings.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 2 - PS4 Pro Video Output Information.jpg
    2 - PS4 Pro Video Output Information.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 3 - GOT Display Options.jpg
    3 - GOT Display Options.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 4 - LG CX HDR Picture mode selected.jpg
    4 - LG CX HDR Picture mode selected.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 177
Evenflow80,

I'm sorry to hear the issues you've been experiencing. That sucks. We all just want to be able to sit down, and enjoy whatever we are watching or playing on our new TV.

I have a PS4 PRO and I am also playing Ghost of Tsushima. I got this TV a couple months ago, to replace my old Sony LCD TV. I've gotten to play a few other PS4 games. Overall I really like how games look and move on it. Especially games in HDR.

I've looked at your map video and wow. That does look annoying. But I'm not experiencing that in GOT with my settings. Here they are in several screenshots showing several of my settings. Maybe using those settings will help improve how it looks in map mode with those issues?

I did experiment with a few settings to try to replicate what you are seeing on your setup.

Switching from HDR to SDR in GOT seemed to make map movement look worse. It looked more like your video.

Switching Performance in GOT from Better Frame Rate to Higher Resolution also seemed to make map movement look worse. It looked more like your video.

I prefer to play games in HDR with the Cinema Home preset. When I switched it from that to the Game preset in HDR then that also seemed to make map movement look worse.

I also sort of recall that for PS4 PRO games, that some games will give you an option between picking a higher frame rate, or higher resolution. When I've tried out both in a game like Nioh and Nioh 2, I prefer the higher frame rate for this type of action game. This was on my old Sony as well as on my LG CX.

Also,

It's the OLED's ability to have perfect black levels, that really makes the colors pop in HDR. Due to the enhanced contrast. As in, the OLED can I have the black part of the image off. Like how the full moon in GOT is almost too bright to look at in the dark night when it's in HDR? Pretty cool huh? Though you do need your viewing room to be sufficiently dark enough to really enjoy that. If your room is too bright, like from the sun or windows, then it getting a LCD that can be brighter might be an option.

Thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful response!

Im surprised though you play outside of game mode. Do you have any kind of motion interlopation on ? Because outside of game mode , for example Standard mode with any kind of motion interlopation on , the game runs smooth as butter. It's so silky smooth.

But everyone i go i get told to never play in any mode outside of Game Mode due to horrible input lag.

Tbh I never really felt any lag in Standard mode. But people are so vocal about it im worried im making games harder if I play outside of game mode.

The map video I showed is in game mode . Is that how it looks like for you outside or game mode? Does input lag not bother you outside game mode ?

For me, games look significantly better in Standard Mode to Game Mode. It's really annoying me. I cant figure out why they look so much sharper in standard. So much so that it puts me off using Game Mode

The problem is in the fast response time of OLED panels with 'poor' fps contents (30< fps).
Plasma tv are the same.
I have Plasma tv and with games like assassin's creed,etc is awful in motion.
I have an LED sony 4K TV too and i can still see a little bit of stuttering (because has a fast response time but not as fast OLED or Plasma) but is a way better than my Plasma and i'm get used to it easily.
People that aren't able to get used to it should consider the idea of buying an LCD LED tv.
But not the fastest one.
Something with 80% response time around 4 ms and 100% response time around 14-15 ms.
Something like that (see rtings TVs reviews for see these numbers).
Stutter is a problem with 30 fps games and seems to be subjective (i noticed it too).
With >60 fps the situation is way better.
For example, i had before a 2015 sony fullhd tv (w800) and the 100% response time is around 17 ms (rtings) : i didn't see any stutter at all with it because LCD tv usually mitigate it better.

Last edited:

Im surprised though you play outside of game mode. Do you have any kind of motion interlopation on ? Because outside of game mode , for example Standard mode with any kind of motion interlopation on , the game runs smooth as butter. It's so silky smooth.

But everyone i go i get told to never play in any mode outside of Game Mode due to horrible input lag.

Tbh I never really felt any lag in Standard mode. But people are so vocal about it im worried im making games harder if I play outside of game mode.

The map video I showed is in game mode . Is that how it looks like for you outside or game mode? Does input lag not bother you outside game mode ?

Thanks, Evenflow80.

I just use the preset, without adjusting it. When I first got the TV I did tinker with adjusting some of the settings. But I didn't know what most of the settings did at the time. And making adjustments to some of them did not immediately show what they did. Though I did quickly leaner about what settings have the soap opera effect for live-action. For me, it was simpler to stick with the presets to evaluate which ones I liked and which ones I didn't. And for me my top 4 presets are; Cinema Home, Game, ISF Dark Room, and ISF Bright Room. On my old Sony LCD TV I recall liking to use Vivid for video games. Especially in Overwatch.

For input lag, I don't know if I ever have noticed it. I have noticed old man lag, I'm 49. Younger people, in general, do better than I do with games that require high reflexes and fast timing For single-player games, I usually like to play it on Normal or Hard setting. With practice and concentration, I can do alright. Buy my younger friends make playing games like Bloodborne and Nioh look easier.

However, I can notice internet lag. Especially in competitive online games like Overwatch. A year or two into it, I learned you can display your ping. Usually I get very good values in the 20-30ms range. But sometimes it can go higher in the 100-200 range if something on my home network is downloading a game or patch. Then I notice it gets harder to hit people and not get hit for things aren't updating as quickly as I'm use to. And it definitely gets unplayable for multiplayer when it goes north of 500ms.

It wasn't until your post about Game mode and the map looking so weird when it's moving that I started noticing it. But It's only annoying to me if I move it in a circular motion. During normal gameplay I don't do that. So it's not a big deal to me. And when I did panning tests with different presets, I did not observe that horrible stutter that other guy's video showed. So I'm not sure why it's doing that. If it did it in my game then I'd be unhappy with it. So I would say input lag is something I don't notice.

i have registered on this forum just to reply to this thread.
i have got the LG CX OLED 48"
and a PS5
and i can confirm that the issue is also happening on the PS5 while playing god of war
i have taken a video of it

notice the chain and the text on the right

I'm reiterating that i agree with you (again). Except for this part:

However for 24p issues, IMO it is sadly a drawback we have to deal with as OLED owners but in return we get the best in class picture quality available at homes. Its a small price to pay IMO but one of the few drawbacks of an OLED panel.

That's not a small price to pay, considering the large majority of movies, games, and multimedia in general are still 24~30fps. Ps5 newer titles will still be in the 30fps range, not 60fps. Sony did said this on a press conferece. this stuttering issue is gamebreaking for me in a very disappointing way. Btw, i bought the sony z8h, and it sucks too. Now i have both LG CX and Sony Z8H both sucking, stuttering ang ruining my gaming experience, which makes both suck at gaming and watching movies, as gaming and movies are presented nowadays. Image quality only does not tell the whole story. I just wonder, like the OP said, why this is not mentioned more, given the groundbraking importance it has. Maybe i am over sensitive to this issue, how the hell would i know. I just reviewed how Rtings weights each of its components to give a final grade for a TV, and the stuttering only corresponds to 1% of the final grade,1%! Something that can totally ruin your day, more than contrast or lighting, colour accuracy, or nit counting. I don't come here to argue to have the absolute true about nothing, i'm nothing but a sad customer, truly dissapointed by marketing that not even matched the expectations. Peace.

I wonder, had you made any progress since then?

I just wonder, like the OP said, why this is not mentioned more, given the groundbraking importance it has. Maybe i am over sensitive to this issue, how the hell would i know.
Probably you're correct in that you are just more sensitive to it than most people are. I have a CX and was a bit worried about this as well before I got my hands the tv. But after actually getting to play games and watch movies on it, it turned out to not really be a problem at all.

Hi @Evenflow80,
I've your very same issue, I've an LG 55GX (it shares the same CX panel) and I previously had an LG 55C6V where I noticed the very same problem.
For me HDR is not a matter, I can see the stutter with both HDR enabled or disabled, it's a pain on 30 fps games and very noticeable on 60 fps games too.
I previously had a PS4 Pro, now I got a PS5 and a PC with an RTX 3090 and the issue is still there.
Since I noticed the issue on my previous OLED TV I'm sure it's not an issue with our particular devices but instead it's probably because we're sensible to the motion.
It's like the objects on the screen duplicates and vibrates horizontally, I can notice it when panning horizontally on a moderate speed, it's less noticeable if the panning is fast.
The workaround for me is the enable truemotion (I keep it at 7), but on game mode it is not possible to enable such option because it would cause lag (because the TV CPU takes time to calculate the intepolation frames).
The weird fact is that it happens even with my new PC and even above 60 fps.
So with PC I've to disable G-Sync (that cause game mode to automatically set), cap the games frame rate to 60, enable V-Sync and truemotion.
The downside effect is that truemotion on games causes artifacts...

Update: I just installed the TV software update 03.21.09 and I noticed the vibrating effect are not there anymore, the edges still duplicate but I can see both the edges at the same time, not vibrating between the one and the other anymore.
That's a quite cool although the duplication issue causes an effect like the motion blur, anyway the result it's acceptable now at least!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom