• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lg cx owners

kevineaton

Established Member
Hi hope you are well and thanks for your time. I'm considering buying a cx 77. Costco have it for 4300 quid.

1) I've read that iplayer, itv catch up and more 4 are missing. Is this still true?
2) I've read that there are are earc issues..
I have a Sammy hw q90r ..anybody had atmos issues?
3) anyone reckon it will get discounted further black Friday/ cyber Monday?

leckie

Established Member
1) iPlayer has been added but the others are still missing.
2) There shouldn't be atmos issues, but DTS support was dropped which could cause problems if you use a lot of that and don't have a device that can decode that.
3) Most likely, yes.

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
and where would i get a dts signal from? is it just blu ray? or also from ahem downloaded blueray rips?

Mostly bluray, perhaps the odd UHD disc and maybe from some other devices, but bluray is a big one for DTS.
is the atmos "full fat" now through the cx e arc or is it still compressed (as per my c7)?

Streaming services is Atmos (DD+) , for full fat Atmos (True HD), you would get that from UHD discs. Unsure if you get full fat atmos any over way, perhaps you can.

kevineaton

Established Member
ok - thanks for the advice - i purchased it. fyi, its £4289 at costco with free wifi earphones

im banking on it not geting much more discounted - looking at the curve for the c977 it hit the same price (well, a few hundred more actually) and stayed there

Last edited:

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
How does it not support DTS, it's a stereo TV, surely it would just play it as PCM?

I was thinking about picking one up tomorrow - altho all my DTS would be coming from an external player like an Nvidia shield.

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
If you connect devices straight to an AVR or soundbar that supports DTS, you will be fine. Its just connecting direct to TV that will not pass DTS, you may get stereo instead though.

turtuv

Established Member
If you connect devices straight to an AVR or soundbar that supports DTS, you will be fine. Its just connecting direct to TV that will not pass DTS, you may get stereo instead though.

i use a ps4 pro for blu ray and a samsung soundbar. the ps4 is connected to tv through HDMI, the soundbar is connected to tv through optical cable. can i hear dts in this way?

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
i use a ps4 pro for blu ray and a samsung soundbar. the ps4 is connected to tv through HDMI, the soundbar is connected to tv through optical cable. can i hear dts in this way?

Hi

No, any device that is connected direct to TV you will not get DTS, does your soundbar have any hdmi inputs, if it does connect it to the soundbar, and use hdmi arc from soundbar to TV, instead of optical.

Some Devices can transcode DTS to Dolby digital 5.1, such as the xbox, perhaps the ps4 can do this?

But in any case the TV does not support DTS, so if you are direct to TV, forget about getting DTS.

turtuv

Established Member
Hi

No, any device that is connected direct to TV you will not get DTS, does your soundbar have any hdmi inputs, if it does connect it to the soundbar, and use hdmi arc from soundbar to TV, instead of optical.

Some Devices can transcode DTS to Dolby digital 5.1, such as the xbox, perhaps the ps4 can do this?

But in any case the TV does not support DTS, so if you are direct to TV, forget about getting DTS.

if ps4 can decide dts into Dolby, can't I hear the audio neither? so I have to connect the soundbar to TV through hdmi, and ps4 to TV with another hdmi cable?

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
if ps4 can decide dts into Dolby, can't I hear the audio neither? so I have to connect the soundbar to TV through hdmi, and ps4 to TV with another hdmi cable?

Try it, unsure what the ps4 audio settings are like now? try something like bitstream dolby digital on the ps4.
And see what you get via optical to your soundbar, you should get sound.

Do you have hdmi inputs on your soundbar, if you do just connect ps4 to soundbar and that way you will get DTS.

turtuv

Established Member
Try it, unsure what the ps4 audio settings are like now? try something like bitstream dolby digital on the ps4.
And see what you get via optical to your soundbar, you should get sound.

Do you have hdmi inputs on your soundbar, if you do just connect ps4 to soundbar and that way you will get DTS.

so i connect ps4 to soundbar throught hdmi, and than soundbar to tv through optical?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
and where would i get a dts signal from? is it just blu ray? or also from ahem downloaded blueray rips?

To clear up the DTS issue,

The TV cannot decode or pass through DTS.
Commond devices that use DTS are: Blu-ray players, consoles, PCs, Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield.
All of these devices can decode the DTS before it is sent to the TV for you i.e. you just disable bit-streaming in the settings for DTS content.

So who does this issue affect?
People that use the internal applications to watch films which feature DTS or stream DTS content from internal apps basically.

Every device I know of as a clear workaround for this because in truth, many TVs don't support DTS so we've hard built in software decoding solutions on devices for years.

For example, why would Sony sell a console which NEEDS a DTS decoder on the TV set. It doesn't make economical sense to them as they'd want FULL compataibility for thier device.

So if you download a film from the internet and want to watch it on the LG CX's internal app and it has DTS, you are screwed. If you want to play that film off of a PC, PS4 Pro or Blu-Ray internal payer, you can set it to output in LPCM.

If you have an AVR, just connect devices to the AVR and it'll decode the information for you.
If you have a gaming PC, plug one HDMI into the TV from the PC and another into the AVR and get the PC to run sound via the AVR and you watch content via the TV (this is a workaround if you want HDMI 2.1/120hz AND DTS).

Yes, I've researched this topic in detail because I'm a loser.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hi

The user can just get the device (PS4 Pro, NVIDIA Shield, Apple TV, Gaming PC) to output in LPCM and the TV will then decode it fine.

I don't really get why someone would use Dolby/DTS over LPCM anyway for the PS4 pro output. They are all the same data. For Blu-ray playback, I believe PS4 Pro as an option to decode the audio itself or pass it through. All the decoding process does is take it out of the contain, LPCM is still lossy.

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
The user can just get the device (PS4 Pro, NVIDIA Shield, Apple TV, Gaming PC) to output in LPCM and the TV will then decode it fine.

I don't really get why someone would use Dolby/DTS over LPCM anyway for the PS4 pro output. They are all the same data. For Blu-ray playback, I believe PS4 Pro as an option to decode the audio itself or pass it through. All the decoding process does is take it out of the contain, LPCM is still lossy.

Yeah, I was just thinking of my devices, I have the Sonos ARC and it doesn't support LPCM yet, supposed to be coming in a future update.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I was just thinking of my devices, I have the Sonos ARC and it doesn't support LPCM yet, supposed to be coming in a future update.

Damn man. Sonos need to get their act together IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom