LG CX ordered (not arrived yet) but getting cold feet,should I cancel?

To be fair the Q90r was a brilliant set the only issue I had with it was it only had one hdmi 2.1 port . Ontop of that 4K at 120 hz was glitchy sometimes I would get hdmi hand shake black outs. So if I wasn’t a gamer I would of kept it.

Im with you on the too expensive part I bought mine in June for 1799 and now they are 1599 . For what it’s worth if you wait 6 -7 months after the release of a new tv you will save about 400-500 pounds .

This gives you plenty of time to decide on a new set should that be the case.

Yeah hdmi 2.1 is going to be glitchy for a id say a few years, it always takes tv the audio/visual world ages to catch up with bug free and reliable performance. We still have hdmi 2.1 certified cables that don't work, too many manufacturers and too many equipment as usual.

You might be able to find HDMI 8K 2In 1Out Switch boxes or better switches on amazon or ebay that maybe able to add a work arounds with more ports/switches and maybe better compatibility chipset but that is an unknown since its still too new.

nice video here showing LG OLED over Samsung Neo comparision

I do like the OLED better but id like to see how Samsung QD-Oleds do hopefully find out in 2022.

I've been gaming on the CX for like couple months now maybe average 8 hours a day in HDR (full backlight 100). No issues. I tweaked the settings so that the TV automatically dims if I don't do anything for 2 minutes or so e.g. pause menu. The dimming feature is really good and I think protects the display for long-term gaming use. To get it back to normal brightness again, I just resume and move around - automatically comes back.

I've been gaming on the CX for like couple months now maybe average 8 hours a day in HDR (full backlight 100). No issues. I tweaked the settings so that the TV automatically dims if I don't do anything for 2 minutes or so e.g. pause menu. The dimming feature is really good and I think protects the display for long-term gaming use. To get it back to normal brightness again, I just resume and move around - automatically comes back.
Whatever has eliminated burn in doesn't matter. Could be manufacturing quality vastly improved since 2018. The important data is the 15 million burn in test results since 2018. Reports of burn in on 2018 and newer OLEDs don't exist. I challenge you to try to find 10 reports of 2018 and newer OLED experiencing burn in. It is hard to find 10 reports of OLED burn in, even on the wild wild web.

Burn in is no longer a reasonable concern although the fear of burn in and spreading the fear of burn in is still a significant problem on social media.

Last edited:
Whatever has eliminated burn in doesn't matter. Could be manufacturing quality vastly improved since 2018. The important data is the 15 million burn in test results since 2018. Reports of burn in on 2018 and newer OLEDs don't exist. I challenge you to try to find 10 reports of 2018 and newer OLED experiencing burn in. It is hard to find 10 reports of OLED burn in, even on the wild wild web.

Burn in is no longer a concern although the fear of burn in and spreading the fear of burn in is still a significant problem on social media.
Yeah that’s true.

Just come across this thread while trying to decide what to do. I currently have Samsung QE49Q7F TV and Samsung HW-MS650 soundbar. I was thinking of trading up (if it is trading up) to LG C1 48. I would like 55 inch for movies because letterbox would make it the perfect size but think 16:9 will eventually get annoying for standard TV content on a 55 inch as I'm 7 feet away from the TV. I do really like the Sony A80J (I know it starts at 55 inch) too but it only has 2x HDMI 2.1 and I need 3 now that I've managed to get hold of xbox x and ps5. The 3rd is for earc as was also thinking of changing soundbar for Sonos beam gen 2. Any advice/comments will be much appreciated.

@Eric714 now that it has been a few more months has passed would you say it is an upgrade from the Sammy? I do like how neat the sammy is with the connector box and yes it's absolute rubbish that you need to raise the LG tv so that the soundbar is not blocking view but what are the alternative options? (That's a question to everyone btw not just Eric) Hopefully the black crush has improved now as well? Thanks.

Just come across this thread while trying to decide what to do. I currently have Samsung QE49Q7F TV and Samsung HW-MS650 soundbar. I was thinking of trading up (if it is trading up) to LG C1 48. I would like 55 inch for movies because letterbox would make it the perfect size but think 16:9 will eventually get annoying for standard TV content on a 55 inch as I'm 7 feet away from the TV. I do really like the Sony A80J (I know it starts at 55 inch) too but it only has 2x HDMI 2.1 and I need 3 now that I've managed to get hold of xbox x and ps5. The 3rd is for earc as was also thinking of changing soundbar for Sonos beam gen 2. Any advice/comments will be much appreciated.

@Eric714 now that it has been a few more months has passed would you say it is an upgrade from the Sammy? I do like how neat the sammy is with the connector box and yes it's absolute rubbish that you need to raise the LG tv so that the soundbar is not blocking view but what are the alternative options? (That's a question to everyone btw not just Eric) Hopefully the black crush has improved now as well? Thanks.

You could get a AVR, however you'll need to wait a while until fully supported HDMI 2.1 AVR's come out.

Yeah but who knows when that will be. Prices for 48c1 lookin might sweet at the moment. Really tempted to go 55. Don't really have space for an AVR etiher.

Last edited:

RE: my upgrade from Samsung Q7F

Yeah I'm very happy with the CX OLED,like I said that Samsung Q7F was a great TV and not an average LCD TV, but the OLED quality specially blacks are in another league.

I don't worry about burn-in and use and enjoy it normally now, I just turn the screen off (not TV just the screen) whenever I have to pause for a while.
if one day burn in happens and if it's noticeable,I'll replace it (worst case scenario hopefully won't happen for 3-4 years anyway I don't abuse it like that guy LinusTech using static PC image for hours etc that's asking for it.

the only remaining annoyances are that stupid short stand design and having to use Ikea shelf (never got used to it) to use a soundbar, the silver/beige colour of the stand (not pretty imo)
and the fact that LG Web OS is slow compared to Samsung Tyzen,so each time I want to change a setting there is noticeable couple seconds of loading whereas Tyzen was instantaneous .Web OS is just not as good.but it's not a deal breaker.(I'd say the same about android TV used in Sony TVs,it's not good).

I use all of it's modern features.. I had Gaming PC with HDMI 2.1 for some time,now both Xbox Series X and PS5 so all using HDMI 2.1 I also use VRR so definitely the best TV I could buy it ticked all boxes.

it looks extra gorgeous watching movies or playing games at night with lights off and screen light (OLED Light) dimmed.
very plasma like but higher resolution and high refresh rate so even better.
lovely picture that is just can't be matched by any LCD.(at night at least).
and I have no issues during day in my super bright room with large windows and neutral blinds either.

for me it's OLED or if not available for whatever reason a higher end model Samsung QLED,and that's it.I don't like Sony LCDs even their premium ones to me their picture and build always inferior to Samsung premium QLEDs.there's always something not quite as good when you see them side by side.

RE: my upgrade from Samsung Q7F

Yeah I'm very happy with the CX OLED,like I said that Samsung Q7F was a great TV and not an average LCD TV, but the OLED quality specially blacks are in another league.

I don't worry about burn-in and use and enjoy it normally now, I just turn the screen off (not TV just the screen) whenever I have to pause for a while.
if one day burn in happens and if it's noticeable,I'll replace it (worst case scenario hopefully won't happen for 3-4 years anyway I don't abuse it like that guy LinusTech using static PC image for hours etc that's asking for it.

the only remaining annoyances are that stupid short stand design and having to use Ikea shelf (never got used to it) to use a soundbar, the silver/beige colour of the stand (not pretty imo)
and the fact that LG Web OS is slow compared to Samsung Tyzen,so each time I want to change a setting there is noticeable couple seconds of loading whereas Tyzen was instantaneous .Web OS is just not as good.but it's not a deal breaker.(I'd say the same about android TV used in Sony TVs,it's not good).

I use all of it's modern features.. I had Gaming PC with HDMI 2.1 for some time,now both Xbox Series X and PS5 so all using HDMI 2.1 I also use VRR so definitely the best TV I could buy it ticked all boxes.

it looks extra gorgeous watching movies or playing games at night with lights off and screen light (OLED Light) dimmed.
very plasma like but higher resolution and high refresh rate so even better.
lovely picture that is just can't be matched by any LCD.(at night at least).
and I have no issues during day in my super bright room with large windows and neutral blinds either.

for me it's OLED or if not available for whatever reason a higher end model Samsung QLED,and that's it.I don't like Sony LCDs even their premium ones to me their picture and build always inferior to Samsung premium QLEDs.there's always something not quite as good when you see them side by side.
Thank you for your update.

Trying to figure out if it’s worth updating to Sonos beam gen 2 for Atmos sound compared to existing Samsung HW-MS650 soundbar.

At a 7ft viewing distance you are best buying a 48 inch LG C1. A Sonos beam gen 2 is right for that viewing distance too.

Yeah but who knows when that will be. Prices for 48c1 lookin might sweet at the moment.

£999 @ JL with that £100 already applied is pretty good and very surprised they now do protect plus with burn in cover at 80 quid, use to be £140 not so long ago, probably are aware its black friday and that in 3-4 months time the entire TV market refreshes with the new 2022 series though.

Wont be surprised if we get a further price drop come February or March, they got to get rid of the old series to make way for the new series, they did offer nicer prices this gone spring, hopefully the 42" OLEDs are also available.

£999 @ JL with that £100 already applied is pretty good and very surprised they now do protect plus with burn in cover at 80 quid, use to be £140 not so long ago, probably are aware its black friday and that in 3-4 months time the entire TV market refreshes with the new 2022 series though.

Wont be surprised if we get a further price drop come February or March, they got to get rid of the old series to make way for the new series, they did offer nicer prices this gone spring, hopefully the 42" OLEDs are also available.
£898 at Costco online for members. Am tempted by JL as they are the only ones with the burn in insurance but don’t think it’s as common a problem these days.

£898 at Costco online for members. Am tempted by JL as they are the only ones with the burn in insurance but don’t think it’s as common a problem these days.

Shouldn't be an issue really, worst comes to worst, LG offer the oled panel replacement service for £200-250 so maybe 4-5 years time if its an issue, quick fix for them really.

Costco is excellent cs they would prob replace it, looks like some early leaks of LGs new 2022 series are leaking though, looks like a C2 and G2 name tags :

Ill be waiting for the 2022 series since its just around the corner.

At a 7ft viewing distance you are best buying a 48 inch LG C1. A Sonos beam gen 2 is right for that viewing distance too.
?! nope

@fugazi1 - grab a 55" if you have the space. Only reason to buy the 48 is lack of space or using as a pc monitor.

@fugazi1 - grab a 55" if you have the space. Only reason to buy the 48 is lack of space or using as a pc monitor.
Space isn't the problem. Mrs reckons 49 inch we currently have is already too big. For me it's perfect for 16:9 but wish it was a little bigger when watching a movie in letterbox. I also recall getting some nausea (wuss, I know) when playing first person games on my 46 inch (samsung ue46f6500) which was in the same postion but got nothing when playing anything else. On my old Sammy 46 inch though there were some presets that allowed me to reduce the picture size to roughly 34 inch and 40 inch within the 46 inch frame so it would just put black bars all around it, if that makes sense, without losing any picture ratio or quality. A feature I've been unable to find on any TV since that model.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom