LG CX ordered (not arrived yet) but getting cold feet,should I cancel?

I would take the CX over the XH95 tv though it won't stop burning but been watching things with static images on a dimmer mode mine has been OK so far.

have you set the oled light to higher I find around 38 to 45 looks OK for SDR stuff and 80 for HDR.
Yeah I tried everything,was re-watching last 2 episodes of Lost the cave scene where it was dark and characters dark shirt/hair basically become invisible lol I could only see their faces it was weird..

again this isn’t my only issue and I’m sure not frequent but like I said I feel that overall OLED pq superiority over a premium lcd (like q95) is minimal at best and that simply doesn’t not make up for burn in risk,darker image and (personal preference) much uglier design.

Last edited:
I would take the CX over the XH95 tv though it won't stop burning but been watching things with static images on a dimmer mode mine has been OK so far.
No I’m not considering XH95 at all,Q95 is superior ,better local dimming,deeper blacks,better colours,better design,it’s well worth it over that Sony imo.Sony design is cheap and ugly,Android OS is terrible and it’s simply not as good TV as the Q95.

Last edited:
at this point ,the hassle of re-packing the CX to return and having only one hdmi 2.1 on Samsung are the only reasons I haven’t call them to request returning the Oled YET.

Sometimes I think the settings I got from flatpanelshd make the blacks look darker than they actually are. Do any other CX owners get the same impression? With that being said i am very content with my OLED. Every time I watch it I say this is the best there is.

Last edited:
at this point ,the hassle of re-packing the CX to return and having only one hdmi 2.1 on Samsung are the only reasons I haven’t call them to request returning the Oled YET.
I’ve been following your thread in the background as I’ve actually just purchased a 65” CX myself and I’m a little worried about the black crush and such myself. For me, I think if I was noticing what you are, and have had ‘comparable’ high end sets, I’d probably say return your OLED.

If it hasn’t blown you away with the picture quality and such, I myself would not want to spend the however many hours to see if elements improved when that will probably push you past your return window.

I get the feeling you’ll always just have it niggling away at you.

I’m in a similar situation between say a QLED or the CX we have just purchased as we have a gaming PC often hooked up to the TV as well as a PS5 and the features of the CX is what helped us decide on that. I could cope with having to switch the two devices for the HDMI 2.1 slot if I was unhappy, or just not blown away with the picture quality.

I’m secretly hoping I am blown away 😂 but we will see.

Good luck with your decision!

I’ve been following your thread in the background as I’ve actually just purchased a 65” CX myself and I’m a little worried about the black crush and such myself. For me, I think if I was noticing what you are, and have had ‘comparable’ high end sets, I’d probably say return your OLED.

If it hasn’t blown you away with the picture quality and such, I myself would not want to spend the however many hours to see if elements improved when that will probably push you past your return window.

I get the feeling you’ll always just have it niggling away at you.

I’m in a similar situation between say a QLED or the CX we have just purchased as we have a gaming PC often hooked up to the TV as well as a PS5 and the features of the CX is what helped us decide on that. I could cope with having to switch the two devices for the HDMI 2.1 slot if I was unhappy, or just not blown away with the picture quality.

I’m secretly hoping I am blown away 😂 but we will see.

Good luck with your decision!
whether people are "blown away" or not really depends on what TV they had before..my expectations were a little higher than reality.
because my previous was a 7 series (which was midrange) `Samsung QLED so while I can see some improvements in blacks/contrast,I'm definitely not "blown away" by OLED.
the CX is a fantastic TV,but a high end QLED is VERY comparable.

people REALLY need to balance pros and cons of each.
yes OLED will have a little better blacks and contast,better viewing angel but there is burn in risk and some baby sitting involved,but QLED (again exclusing 60 series which are budget) are much bighter,no burn in risk at all,and significantly less reflective.

Last edited:
I decided to keep the LG CX.

packing it,returning it then ordering a new TV etc is just too much hassle.
also the Samsung Q95 has only 1 HDMI 2.1..

and I need at least 2,at first I thought I can get around this by some switcher but there aren't any available and HDTVTest also mentioned even when such switches become available, there is no guarantee they'll support all features.

the higher end 2021 Samsung QLEDS have extra HMDI 2.1 but being new releases the prices are very high and simply not worth it over 2020 imo.

Last edited:
Now you are the expert reviewer. You have an OLED and a high end LED. When you read things online you will notice the embellishments.

10 years from now you will know if burn in was overblown.

Last edited:
I think OLEDs have been around for long enough now to know whether or not burn-in is a serious issue.

It does happen to a minority of sets; but me personally; I have 6 sets of various generations. They get used quite hard. One of them gets used exclusively as a PC monitor.

No burn-in yet, despite all of the naysayers saying "it's not a matter of if; but when". I did return/exchange one of my sets, but that was because of unacceptable vertical banding. The replacement was much better.

If I were looking to run sports news channels for 8 hours a day or similar, I'd look at LCD screens; but for home/gaming/movies, I'm an OLED guy.

what about a smaller led tv for stuff your worried about to view things on?
hope you get more used to it as well.
I have a 32 inch LG to watch the news on. for this reason.

My LG C8 is 3 year old now and just ran it's third hour long cycle a couple of days ago and I use it primarily for gaming so that's close to 6000 hours of gaming and the screen still looks as clean as day one!

With that said... I have personally experienced screen burn on my LG E6 from 4/5 years ago, I don't know if the burn in prevention really improved on the new model's or if the changes I made to my viewing habits have made the real difference.

People like to bang on about the newer models having stuff like pixel refresh but the truth is the 2016 models also had that, the only real difference with most new models is the bigger red sub pixel which I'm sure does help tbh but I think the heatsink technology that Panasonic use is the real game changer.

As for the changes I made to my viewing habits, I'm more aware of how long the TV has been on for now and if I think it's been more than 4 hours since the last refresh I pop it into rest mode for 10 minutes. I also installed bias lighting so I know straight away if it's running a cycle cause the light's stay on until it's complete. So same at night if I'm turning the power switches off before bed I make sure the bias lighting is off.

My LG C8 is 3 year old now and just ran it's third hour long cycle a couple of days ago and I use it primarily for gaming so that's close to 6000 hours of gaming and the screen still looks as clean as day one!

With that said... I have personally experienced screen burn on my LG E6 from 4/5 years ago, I don't know if the burn in prevention really improved on the new model's or if the changes I made to my viewing habits have made the real difference.

People like to bang on about the newer models having stuff like pixel refresh but the truth is the 2016 models also had that, the only real difference with most new models is the bigger red sub pixel which I'm sure does help tbh but I think the heatsink technology that Panasonic use is the real game changer.

As for the changes I made to my viewing habits, I'm more aware of how long the TV has been on for now and if I think it's been more than 4 hours since the last refresh I pop it into rest mode for 10 minutes. I also installed bias lighting so I know straight away if it's running a cycle cause the light's stay on until it's complete. So same at night if I'm turning the power switches off before bed I make sure the bias lighting is off.
There is also the possibility that manufacturing quality improved on new OLEDs. Less of a panel lottery.

There is also the possibility that manufacturing quality improved on new OLEDs. Less of a panel lottery.
Yeah, unfortunately there is a lot we don't know about the technology.

I just think it would be foolish to recommend an OLED and say that burn in is nothing to worry about unless you upgrade every year. Its good to be aware of potential issues you might run into in the future and with a bit of care you could potentially get more milage out of your panel.

Gaming isn't much of a concern at all to me unless you play the same game for 1000+ hours cause that's when the cumulative nature of the pixel wear could potentially start to be an issue.

I will end it on saying that I think OLED is worth the risk, I love the technology and don't think burn in is something you should be worried about necessarily but at least be aware and do what you can to prevent it when possible like letting it run the compensation cycles.

whether people are "blown away" or not really depends on what TV they had before..my expectations were a little higher than reality.
because my previous was a 7 series (which was midrange) `Samsung QLED so while I can see some improvements in blacks/contrast,I'm definitely not "blown away" by OLED.
the CX is a fantastic TV,but a high end QLED is VERY comparable.

people REALLY need to balance pros and cons of each.
yes OLED will have a little better blacks and contast,better viewing angel but there is burn in risk and some baby sitting involved,but QLED (again exclusing 60 series which are budget) are much bighter,no burn in risk at all,and significantly less reflective.

Quite surprised 3 pages in and no ones mentioned just how much technology and software LG implemented internally into OLEDs to pretty much make it hopefully impossible to get burn in.

I have almost forgot half of them but some off the top of my head are:

screen shift
logo luminance
screen saver
ABL (auto brightness limiter)
ASBL (auto static brightness limiter)
2 different Pixel refreshers (daily and another one with higher hours usage)

The main 2 are the ABL and ASBL, which are working always in the background, but basically LG threw the entire kitchen sink into the whole burn in issue so did not just add 1 or 2 technologies to prevent it but multiple just to be extra extra sure burn in does not occur.

This is probably the reason why richer sounds and pretty much every other retailer including LG didn't bother to include or offer Burn in protection in their insurance or warranty since it was pointless.

I actually paid £140 for john lewis burn in protection but after I saw how well the CX oled protected itself I was telling myself I just bought into the fear and panic and it was an £140 paper weight.

So I would relax and enjoy your OLED with what ever you watch and do with it be it game or movies, the TV will handle its business while you enjoy thanks to multiple software and technology features built in which you can't see.

LG themselves also offer a oled panel replacement service which has not been mentioned it cost around £250 takes 1-2 guys 25 minutes to replace, so maybe if the worst came to worse you can just opt for it in 5 or 8 years time just in case planet are all wrong.

Fair points about higher end LEDs competing with OLEDs, but we do have other LED issues out there like blooming, Dolby vision support and more, when you factor in all the OLED pros I feel its still the better option overall but sure it comes with a price as do the best things in life.

Black crush issue, try the newer firmware updates they improve greatly also consider getting your TV calibrated it may help the black crush also. All OLED brands have this issue its just a negative with OLEDs but it can be improved. I found better quality streams or 4K HDR sources to help.

Also check this post I mentioned on black crushing this can help improve it further it sets the blacks bit more better for SDR only.

Everything I watch on my OLED TV has static channel logos, usually bright white. Except for the commercials I have a static bright white channel logo on my OLED TV all the time. I take no special precautions.

In the USA it is impossible to watch TV without static channel logos on the TV for almost every show I watch. Many of them are very bright.

Last edited:
I decided to keep the LG CX.

packing it,returning it then ordering a new TV etc is just too much hassle.
also the Samsung Q95 has only 1 HDMI 2.1..

and I need at least 2,at first I thought I can get around this by some switcher but there aren't any available and HDTVTest also mentioned even when such switches become available, there is no guarantee they'll support all features.

the higher end 2021 Samsung QLEDS have extra HMDI 2.1 but being new releases the prices are very high and simply not worth it over 2020 imo.
How are you getting on with the CX?

I have read through your thread with interest as I had many of the same concerns. Unlike you though I had dipped back into Plasma with my previous tv due to lack of funds, I try and go mid to high end when possible. Had no screenburn on that either.

I wanted a new tv to go with the Xbox Series X and after reading no end of stuff online as well as watching a great many youtube videos about which was the best tv for next gen gaming I decided to go with the CX 65. I'm a huge movie fan and wanted the best tv for that also.

Ive now had the CX since the start of Decmember 2020 and can honestly say its one of the best things Ive ever bought. It took me a while to get the settings right so I was happy and still change stuff from time to time just to be sure. Lol. The most common thing I see or read is that OLED tv's arent as bright as QLED's but I dont know how bright people want their screen as at times It feels like its gonna burn my retinas when theres bright scenes on films etc.

Hope its working out for you. Just forget about the fear of burn in and enjoy it. I treated mine with kid gloves at first then thought f it and just used it. All good so far. Im so much happier now Ive stopped worrying about it all and just enjoy it for what it is.

Ps my screen is regularly subjected to 10 hour plus sessions of farm simulator and no issues. Lol

From what I have read from OLED owners is the same thing no matter if you buy Sony OLED or a LG OLED. The brightness of these TVs can sometimes burn your retinas and that owners are extremely satisfied no matter which one they buy. I personally own a CX and the only thing I don't like about it is sometimes the HDR highlights are to bright. Other than being to bright sometimes in HDR I love the CX every time I watch it.

Go to ratings.com and do a comparison. The differences in every feature is insignificant when you consider how close the ratings are for motion, picture quality, etc.

C1 OLED LG
Mixed Usage
Movies
TV Shows
Sports
Video Games
HDR Movies
HDR Gaming
PC Monitor

Sony A90J
Mixed Usage
Movies
TV Shows
Sports
Video Games
HDR Movies
HDR Gaming
PC Monitor

Last edited:
How are you getting on with the CX?

I have read through your thread with interest as I had many of the same concerns. Unlike you though I had dipped back into Plasma with my previous tv due to lack of funds, I try and go mid to high end when possible. Had no screenburn on that either.

I wanted a new tv to go with the Xbox Series X and after reading no end of stuff online as well as watching a great many youtube videos about which was the best tv for next gen gaming I decided to go with the CX 65. I'm a huge movie fan and wanted the best tv for that also.

Ive now had the CX since the start of Decmember 2020 and can honestly say its one of the best things Ive ever bought. It took me a while to get the settings right so I was happy and still change stuff from time to time just to be sure. Lol. The most common thing I see or read is that OLED tv's arent as bright as QLED's but I dont know how bright people want their screen as at times It feels like its gonna burn my retinas when theres bright scenes on films etc.

Hope its working out for you. Just forget about the fear of burn in and enjoy it. I treated mine with kid gloves at first then thought f it and just used it. All good so far. Im so much happier now Ive stopped worrying about it all and just enjoy it for what it is.

Ps my screen is regularly subjected to 10 hour plus sessions of farm simulator and no issues. Lol
I'm happy with the CX overall.
newer 4k HDR movies look really good on it (and I instantly notice superior contrast and overall next level quality vs my Q7 QLED) ,but with a few older 1080p TV shows I noticed crushing blacks in darker scenes.gaming it's pretty much equally as good as it was my QLED (plus 120Hz capability of course) but can't say it's that much better in terms of gaming,if anything QLED had more punchy vibrant colours which are nice for games.
the pointer remote and LG web OS aren't nearly as good and as fast as the Samsung Smart remote and Tizen OS imo.
I try not to think about burn in too much,but at the same time turn the TV off when on pause/not used and use it for mixed content.(this reminds me of my Plasma days,not leaving TV on with menue idl,games paused etc)

I'm happy with the CX overall.
newer 4k HDR movies look really good on it (and I instantly notice superior contrast and overall next level quality vs my Q7 QLED) ,but with a few older 1080p TV shows I noticed crushing blacks in darker scenes.gaming it's pretty much equally as good as it was my QLED (plus 120Hz capability of course) but can't say it's that much better in terms of gaming,if anything QLED had more punchy vibrant colours which are nice for games.
the pointer remote and LG web OS aren't nearly as good and as fast as the Samsung Smart remote and Tizen OS imo.
I try not to think about burn in too much,but at the same time turn the TV off when on pause/not used and use it for mixed content.(this reminds me of my Plasma days,not leaving TV on with menue idl,games paused etc)
Thanks for the impressions. You may know this but you just say "screen off" with your magic remote and the screen saver comes on in 5 seconds. You can do this when you pause anything. Then just touch any button and your screen comes back on.

There are so many static channel logos for normal TV. If burn in was still probable we would have most of our 15 million OLED owners with logos burnt into their screen. Millions of people watch their OLEDs with static logos on the screen. Just keep this in mind, if burn in is still a reasonable concern their will be 15 million OLED owners experiencing burn in with you.

I don't know about webOS but ATV4K has burn in protection. A Screensaver will play 30-60sec after pausing or inactivity in a menu. After 5-10min of Screensavers, ATV4K will switch itself off.

I am just curious when I hear the Q95 only one HDMI 2.1 is this last years model ? I own the QN95A and that has 4 Hdmi 2.1 ports on the one connect box.

To be honest I fancy owning a Oled set myself but coming from the Samsung 90QR and upgrading to Q95A( Due to hdmi ports) I dont think i will be blow away with the difference at all. I think it comes down to how you prefer your image quality preferences.

I am just curious when I hear the Q95 only one HDMI 2.1 is this last years model ? I own the QN95A and that has 4 Hdmi 2.1 ports on the one connect box.

To be honest I fancy owning a Oled set myself but coming from the Samsung 90QR and upgrading to Q95A( Due to hdmi ports) I dont think i will be blow away with the difference at all. I think it comes down to how you prefer your image quality preferences.

Certainly no expert but quick googling that Samsung 90QR is pretty high end, VA panel so you get nice blacks still and its got wider viewing angle included and full colour range so overall a high end decent TV. The new Q95A is samsungs new Neo range and early reviews say even more impressive blacks but they have some bugs to iron out with getting details being lost during black scenes.

Its an impressive screen but imo far too high price tags considering OLEDs got the tech and quality right atm and at a similar if not cheaper price. I think it needs another good few years to get better quality and by then Samsung will probably have their own better quality OLED tech out and LG will have better OLED tech also.

If I had a VA panel with wider viewing angles like yours id be tempted to keep it rather looking at OLED or Neo range, but depends on circumstances for example if you are a gamer etc

Yes we were mentioning 2020 Q95 which was comparable price wise to LG CX.

I'm happy with the LG CX now.
but I think if a person owns a (high end) Samsung QLED,they are good and won't be blown away by OLED at all.

and I say this only about Samsung QLEDs,I've seen comparable Sony LCD models and they are NOT as good as Samsung QLED,no matter what some people want to say here based on technical stuff on paper.the QLEDs have a distinct colour "quality" (not just colour gamut specification),I believe it's the quantum dot or whatever they use that makes the colours so pleasing and superior to other TVs.( including LG CX and Sony high end LCDs)

so in terms of watching movies,LG CX is superior to my QLED, specially at night time with lights off.picture quality is just superior.a distinct QLED quality.

but for regular TV watching,Youtube etc,not really any noticeable difference.

For gaming,I don't think it's any better than my Samsung QLED (only talking about picture quality not 120hz VRR features etc)
the Samsung QLED had better popping colours and obviously much more brighter,LG CX colours look a bit flat and dull in comparison,something I still can notice even after nearly a month. and this isn't something you can adjust by increasing colour.
the "quality" and vibrancy of the colours are just different, and not as pleasing as the Samsung QLED.

it's like using a lower quality paint vs a very high quality paint of the exact same shade if you know what I mean!

but overall it's a great TV probably best choice at just under £1000 for 55" but Samsung QLED higher end models are also really good and comparable.

Certainly no expert but quick googling that Samsung 90QR is pretty high end, VA panel so you get nice blacks still and its got wider viewing angle included and full colour range so overall a high end decent TV. The new Q95A is samsungs new Neo range and early reviews say even more impressive blacks but they have some bugs to iron out with getting details being lost during black scenes.

Its an impressive screen but imo far too high price tags considering OLEDs got the tech and quality right atm and at a similar if not cheaper price. I think it needs another good few years to get better quality and by then Samsung will probably have their own better quality OLED tech out and LG will have better OLED tech also.If I had a VA panel with wider viewing angles like yours id be tempted to keep it rather looking at OLED or Neo range, but depends on circumstances for example if you are a gamer etc
To be fair the Q90r was a brilliant set the only issue I had with it was it only had one hdmi 2.1 port . Ontop of that 4K at 120 hz was glitchy sometimes I would get hdmi hand shake black outs. So if I wasn’t a gamer I would of kept it.

Im with you on the too expensive part I bought mine in June for 1799 and now they are 1599 . For what it’s worth if you wait 6 -7 months after the release of a new tv you will save about 400-500 pounds .

This gives you plenty of time to decide on a new set should that be the case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom