LG CX ordered (not arrived yet) but getting cold feet,should I cancel?

it seems for people who move from normal LCD LEDs to OLED the wow factor is huge and it kind of makes up for the fear of burn in

I was concerned with the reports I had read about OLED burn-in. As I said, there was consternation but I decided to go ahead and purchase. I do believe I would have been satisfied with the QLED but would have still wished I had bought the OLED.

Most people come to their conclusion about the severity of OLED Burn In based on these factors.
  1. Testing done by rtings.com on 2017 OLED TVs,
  2. The dialog that was started in 2015 and continues until this day about “experts” either saying it is a problem or that it isn’t a problem.
  3. Reports’ of 2017 and older TVs experiencing burn in? Almost all of the reports of burn in are on 2017 and older TVs.
  4. Personally experienced burn in on a 2017 or older OLED
  5. Various conspiracy theories. LG doesn’t provide a 10 year OLED Burn In warranty because they know OLED BURN IN is a real problem. The manufacturers, retailers, and professional reviewers are working together to mislead the public, otherwise they would report how widespread OLED burn in is.
  6. The lack of reports of 2018 and newer OLEDs experiencing burn. This includes all manufactures of OLED TVs. All of the manufacturers use OLED supplied panels.
  7. Burn in hasn’t happened yet on 2018 and newer OLED TVs, but give it time and it will happen.
  8. Assumption that the manufacturing quality improved to a six sigma level. No more panel lottery. This is based on the fact that many Owners of 2017 OLED TVs used there TVs in the same manner and the vast majority of OLED owners never saw a hint of OLED BURN IN. On a rare occasion owners of 2017 and older OLEDs would experience permanent burn in. This suggests a panel lottery do to defects in the manufacturing process.
    The manufacturing quality was greatly improved in 2018 based on the fact that reports of OLED BURN IN on 2018 and newer TVs are extremely hard to find.
  9. All of these manufacturers use different software but the same hardware (LG supplied OLED panels). Because there are practically zero reports of OLED Burn In for all manufacturers using 2018 and newer OLED supplied panels the drastic improvement may have more to do with the hardware (LG supplied OLED panels) than software.
  10. Engineering (pixel size -aperture ratio} and better heat sinks. Less heat generated and better ways or dissipating the heat that is generated. The pixel size has a huge effect, since the improvement is exponentially related; H = I2Rt.
  11. From Tim Brookes of HOW-To Geek/ “Older OLED displays used separate, colored pixels. However, manufacturers soon realized that different colored subpixels aged at different rates, particularly blue and red. LG Display decided to use a grid of white LEDs, which age at the same rate. Colored filters are then used to create the four separate subpixels of red, green, blue, and white.”
  12. Different isotopes and additives for pixel material. Pixels more durable.
  13. Software improvements. Pixel refresh, logo luminence
  14. There have been over 10 million OLED TVs sold since 2018. The reports of OLED BURN IN are practically zero for 2018 and newer OLED TVs. You would have a hard time finding 5 reports. That is 1 TV for every 2 million TVs sold.

You now have the 14 points to ponder. Analyze the points yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Not sure what you mean was?

Still in daily use, and no I don't game.
I aksed whether you used your TV for gaming since that's my main usage.and gaming = various bright HUD static items on screen which technically means far greater risk of burn in vs just watching movies,TV series..

I aksed whether you used your TV for gaming since that's my main usage.and gaming = various bright HUD static items on screen which technically means far greater risk of burn in vs just watching movies,TV series..
You probably should return the OLED. There are so many static elements on the screen even when your watching the news, sports, etc. If you fear burn in and the overblown concern on social media an OLED TV will drive your anxiety thru the roof.

You probably should return the OLED. There are so many static elements on the screen even when your watching the news, sports, etc. If you fear burn in and the overblown concern on social media an OLED TV will drive your anxiety thru the roof.
you have to agree I have genuine concerns,it's not my 1st new TV in 10years,,I always bought good TVs..2 Panasonic Plasmas,the 7 Series QLED (after considering OLED for weeks in 2018) and now ordered this..
I can't just convince myself it's all myth and problem of pre-2018 because there are people complaining about burn in in this exact forum and there are "high profile" users on this very website saying OLED and gaming are not a good match,some writing pages of very excessive measures to "prevent" burn-in etc etc in OLED Burn In thread..
returning it will be the easiest approach,but I'd like to get as much input as I can.
at this point I'm still 50-50

Personally I think you’re over-thinking the issue however I appreciate the concern as it’s a big purchase.

I owned Plasma tv’s for many years, using them daily and for gaming…no issues with burn-in. I currently own a Sony A1 OLED and have used it daily since launch, gaming regularly, no issues.

All you can control in the situation is to do be as mindful and as careful as you can be…anything else is beyond your control. I’d rather be enjoying a purchase such as an OLED rather than looking for issues or worrying about it going wrong.

FWIW, I’m awaiting delivery of an LG G1 and will be gaming pretty much every day…can’t wait. :lesson:

you have to agree I have genuine concerns,it's not my 1st new TV in 10years,,I always bought good TVs..2 Panasonic Plasmas,the 7 Series QLED (after considering OLED for weeks in 2018) and now ordered this..
I can't just convince myself it's all myth and problem of pre-2018 because there are people complaining about burn in in this exact forum and there are "high profile" users on this very website saying OLED and gaming are not a good match,some writing pages of very excessive measures to "prevent" burn-in etc etc in OLED Burn In thread..
returning it will be the easiest approach,but I'd like to get as much input as I can.
at this point I'm still 50-50
If you do buy an OLED and it gets burn in so what. Learn from your personal experience and move on. It won't be the end of the world. We can either spend our whole life fearing failure and then beating ourselves to death because all of our decisions aren't perfect. Take a risk and if you make a mistake look at it as a chance for learning and opportunity to move forward.

I have trouble with fearing failure and avoiding taking risks. The only way I am dealing with this is taking risks and addressing my fear of failure head on. It is uncomfortable but in the long run it is beneficial in improving my emotional health. If you struggle with a fear of failure like me buying an OLED TV could be your first step to dealing with this issue. Then keep forcing yourself on taking risks and if you fail say what can I learn from this mishap. Don't beat yourself up, everybody makes mistakes.

If you do buy an OLED and it gets burn in so what. Learn from your personal experience and move on. It won't be the end of the world. We can either spend our whole life fearing failure and then beating ourselves to death because all of our decisions aren't perfect. Take a risk and if you make a mistake look at it as a chance for learning and opportunity to move forward.

I have trouble with fearing failure and avoiding taking risks. The only way I am dealing with this is taking risks and addressing my fear of failure head on. It is uncomfortable but in the long run it is beneficial in improving my emotional health. If you struggle with a fear of failure like me buying an OLED TV could be your first step to dealing with this issue. Then keep forcing yourself on taking risks and if you fail say what can I learn from this mishap. Don't beat yourself up, everybody makes mistakes.
It's my OCD about buying electronics kicking in I think , I always spend days sometimes weeks reading forums ,reviews,tests then going to stores comparing them until I'm settled with something, (I have to say I find it enjoyable more than the actual product sometimes but can be frustrating when there's no clear conclusion) but in this case I think you're right.I have to experience it myself.there's just so much mismatch information out there.
I always wanted an OLED TV even before they were commercially available, so I think I'll give it a chance.see how it goes.I don't think I'll be happy if I cancel the order.

I was concerned about potential burn in but decided to bite the bullet & bought the 55" CX. Info I read here about burn in reports being mainly on 2017 & older models combined with the fact that software introduced specifically to combat this risk allayed my fears somewhat. I still took out the extra 5yr accidental damage cover (which covers burn in also) from John Lewis just to err on the side of caution.

Edit: Sounds like my gaming habits are similar to yours i.e. a few hours in the evenings & longer on weekends.

Edit 2: Gaming on the PS5 & CX is a pleasure, Ratchet and Clank for example is especially stunning.

It's my OCD about buying electronics kicking in I think , I always spend days sometimes weeks reading forums ,reviews,tests then going to stores comparing them until I'm settled with something, (I have to say I find it enjoyable more than the actual product sometimes but can be frustrating when there's no clear conclusion) but in this case I think you're right.I have to experience it myself.there's just so much mismatch information out there.
I always wanted an OLED TV even before they were commercially available, so I think I'll give it a chance.see how it goes.I don't think I'll be happy if I cancel the order.
When you first get your OLED you will be a little anxious because if you look for them while watching your OLED there are static logos on a lot of stations, not just sky news. Remember what all the professional reviewers say that burn in isn't a problem for varied content or normal use. A better way to put this is, "burn in may be a possibility on newer OLEDs for those who abuse their OLEDs like rtings.com did on their torture tests of 2017 outdated models." The screen saver and screen off function along with the other preventive measures built into the TV will allow you to sleep well about 2 days after you start watching your amazing new television.

Note: Keeping the possibility of burn in alive is a huge advertisement for rtings.com. Rtings.com would like to keep the possibility of burn in alive in peoples mind as long as possible for marketing.

I was concerned about potential burn in but decided to bite the bullet & bought the 55" CX. Info I read here about burn in reports being mainly on 2017 & older models combined with the fact that software introduced specifically to combat this risk allayed my fears somewhat. I still took out the extra 5yr accidental damage cover (which covers burn in also) from John Lewis just to err on the side of caution.

Edit: Sounds like my gaming habits are similar to yours i.e. a few hours in the evenings & longer on weekends.

Edit 2: Gaming on the PS5 & CX is a pleasure, Ratchet and Clank for example is especially stunning.
I got Ratchet & Clank game and haven’t played much yet,kept it so I can try on the OLED since it’s a very pretty game.
I also have gaming PC with RTX3080 that I only use for gaming on couch with controller (like a console basically) and that will also benefit from 120hz HDMI 2.1 ports of CX as currently my QLED is limited to 4K 60FPS being a 60hz TV.

When you first get your OLED you will be a little anxious because if you look for them while watching your OLED there are static logos on a lot of stations, not just sky news. Remember what all the professional reviewers say that burn in isn't a problem for varied content or normal use. A better way to put this is, "burn in may be a possibility on newer OLEDs for those who abuse their OLEDs like rtings.com did on their torture tests of 2017 outdated models." The screen saver and screen off function along with the other preventive measures built into the TV will allow you to sleep well about 2 days after you start watching your amazing new television.

Note: Keeping the possibility of burn in alive is a huge advertisement for rtings.com. Rtings.com would like to keep the possibility of burn in alive in peoples mind as long as possible for marketing.
Yes for me the main concern was/is gaming I don’t watch live TV,Sky at all,only movies and tv series via Apple TV,Netflix,Prime and such that have no on screen logo.
I had plasma before and remember same fear of burn in at first I was very OCD but after a year I didn’t really worry about it and didn’t get any burn in on neither of my 2 Panasonic plasmas until I sold them in 2017 despite gaming heavily.that being said the Plasmas were 42” midrange (ST30) and cost around £500 so much cheaper than 55 CX OLED (which is also midrange but £1000)

Certain AVForum members have been steaming about their 2016 or 2017 OLEDS that experienced burn in for years. Still beating themselves to death about their mishap and carrying around anger. This isn’t a healthy way to live.

Had my CX for about a year now, watched news channels, gaming, sports and just used it as I would any other TV. Zero problems and an amazing TV, the picture quality really is awesome.

Update:

the 55" LG CX arrived 3 days ago,everything setup according to HDTVTest and Rtings.
I was also able to sell my Samsung Series 7 QLED 55Q7F locally for £500.(it cost me £1200 January 2018) so the CX being £980, I payed £480 to upgrade from 2018 Q7F QLED to 2020 CX OLED.

but was it worth it?

CX Pros : 1-SLIGHTLY better picture quality overal,a little better blacks and contrast
2-4x HDMI 2.1 ports (so 4k 120Hz for my Gaming PC and PS5)

CX Cons : 1-immediately noticeable black crush in certain movies/series (in dark scenes) ,so all the details are lost and person wearing black becomes part of the black background lol

I can't believe this isn't being mentioned more by likes of HDTVtest,Rtings etc! I can live with it I think ,as it's not happening in every movie,but it's really a problem.

2-I do not like the web OS vs Samsung's Tyzen OS,it's slow and just doesn't feel as snappy and straightforward vs Tyzen

3-I don't like the 2 tone silver ,short design of the stand, my Samsung Q7,and Q90T have much sleeker,more modern stand design.overall build quality of Samsung was noticeably nicer

4-I don't like the bulky remote and motion controls, Samsung had 2 remotes and the metal minimalistic smart control was really nice to hold and use.this looks and feels backwards in comparisson.

5-and of course the constant worry about burn in,but that's something I already accepted ,there are things I can't simply risk on this TV anymore,for example I used leave Spotify running for hours on my QLED,connected to my soundbar system, this is obviously a big no no on OLED.

overall,I'm ok with it but frankly it's a little disappointing.the HDMi 2.1 4k 120Hz are really important for me but to be honest,the picture quality difference between this and the Q7F isn't worth £100 extra let alone £480 in my case.

I think it's amazing how Samsung was able to achieve such high contrast and deep blacks with minimal,really unnoticeable blooming and light bleed on a edge lit TV.that's what i understand.
the 6/ 60 seties QLEDs are very inferior but mine and the Q9/Q90 range are without anydoubt potential alternatives to LG OLED.

2-I do not like the web OS vs Samsung's Tyzen OS,it's slow and just doesn't feel as snappy and straightforward vs Tyzen
The WebOS 5 on the CX is awful and 6 looks like a TV billboard so I decided to use the Apple TV 4K. Whatever your thoughts on apple the tvOS is vastly superior IMO. I power on with the Apple remote and CEC does the rest. My old Bose Solo 15 powers on and off even thru the optical.

4-I don't like the bulky remote and motion controls, Samsung had 2 remotes and the metal minimalistic smart control was really nice to hold and use.this looks and feels backwards in comparisson.
I did get the new Siri Remote for my 1st gen 4K and it works great for operating the TV for streaming. Streaming is all I use and I haven't used commercial TV/Cable for about 8 years. I don't do gaming and I seldom use BluRay so the LG remote can stay in the drawer. This method of operating the TV works fine for me though.

I agree with your other points as well. I do believe I would have been satisfied with the QLED but would have always wanted an OLED until I owned one, of course.

CX Cons : 1-immediately noticeable black crush in certain movies/series (in dark scenes) ,so all the details are lost and person wearing black becomes part of the black background lol

As you have only received your CX a few days ago and given that its wildly accepted that the picture quality improves over time give it say around 200 Hrs of use and then reevaluate the picture performance. Many have found that the black crush and the detail in dark scenes improve over time.

The WebOS 5 on the CX is awful and 6 looks like a TV billboard so I decided to use the Apple TV 4K. Whatever your thoughts on apple the tvOS is vastly superior IMO. I power on with the Apple remote and CEC does the rest. My old Bose Solo 15 powers on and off even thru the optical.

I did get the new Siri Remote for my 1st gen 4K and it works great for operating the TV for streaming. Streaming is all I use and I haven't used commercial TV/Cable for about 8 years. I don't do gaming and I seldom use BluRay so the LG remote can stay in the drawer. This method of operating the TV works fine for me though.

I agree with your other points as well. I do believe I would have been satisfied with the QLED but would have always wanted an OLED until I owned one, of course.
I have an Apple TV 4K too (not the last version) but that remote has its own share of problems, I used the Samsung Smart remote with that instead! much more precise!
but at the end of the day I have to engage with TV remote and it’s OS one way or the other..

The remote and design part are not really deal breakers,but minimal quality improvement while having to babysit the TV and getting crushing blacks are!

Started thinking about returning the CX and get a Samsung Q95/Q90 instead.

when I decided to accept burn-in risk (minimal or otherwise), I thought in return it will impress me with picture quality,but as I mentioned the 3 years old Q7F wasn’t that much inferior! not even blacks!

it’s obvious to me now all the “wow” comments over the internet are from those comparing the OLED to average standard LCDs not a premium QLED..

so a Q95 can match the CX quality and most importantly no baby sitting needed,no crushing blacks, and much more elegant more modern design and nicer remote and OS!

it’s just the task of re-packing this thing that scares me.don’t have the energy for it!

decisions,decisions!

my conclusion: Samsung QLED (excluding low end models) is definitely underrated and OLED is a little overrated.

btw anyone knows if Richer Sounds TV return process is straightforward?

It takes a while for you to get used to something different. Either way it is a good move. You can upgrade to a better LED or stick with the OLED.

That’s why I usually stick with the professional reviewers and Dodgexander’s opinion. They basically said the same thing as you figured out. The high end LED’s are very close to OLED performance. When I listen to all the AVFORUMS members opinions I become confused. That goes for the possibility of burn in.

Everything gets embellished on social media

5-and of course the constant worry about burn in,but that's something I already accepted ,there are things I can't simply risk on this TV anymore,for example I used leave Spotify running for hours on my QLED,connected to my soundbar system, this is obviously a big no no on OLED.
Use Spotify on ATV4K. Go back to the Home Page, leave Spotify running, the screen savers will then run.

Going to return the CX,PQ simply not better than a high end QLED when considering burn in risk and black crush issue.

Samsung QE55Q95T it is.(for the same price of CX)

and I really am not a fan of the CX stand design.(silver mismach stand + having to use ugly Ikea board to raise it for the soundbar,what an idiotic design by LG don't they know 99% people use a soundbar?)

IMG_3807.JPG

only caveat of Q95T will be only 1 hdmi 2.1 (I have RTX PC and PS5) but I guess PS5 won't really be delivering 4k 120fps)

have you set the oled light to higher I find around 38 to 45 looks OK for SDR stuff and 80 for HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom