LG CX ordered (not arrived yet) but getting cold feet,should I cancel?

Eric714

Standard Member
Reaction score
currently own Samsung Q7F 55" QLED (which am very happy with it's quality) but I've had many OLED devices and always wanted an OLED TV + current TV doesn't support HDMI 2.1 120Hz, saw a good deal for the CX and ordered it.
now I'm getting cold feet,the usual burn in fear and annoyance of babysitting the TV.
I never watch TV,sports etc but game alot,maybe 3-4 hours a day and more in the weekends , rest of usage will be Netflix,etc (which are safe),so my question is,should I really baby sit the TV? I don't want to count how many hours I played a certain game or worry bout which game has dynamic or static HUD,make the TV dim etc etc I just want to use and enjoy the TV normally.
do you think buying the CX was a bad idea?
is OLED burn in risk (in newer set like CX) same as plasma or worse?
I had a Panasonic Plasma before the Samsung QLED and gamed heavily on that too for many years and never had any burn in.
can I expect the same from LG CX?

I can still cancel the CX as it's not due for delivery until early next week!

I bought a Panasonic plasma in '03 or '4 and it conked out after 10 or so years with no noticeable burn in. Anyway, I remember the dire warnings of screen burn on the Plasma then. I bought a CX last Thursday after much consternation and I bought the CX over the C1 because I couldn't see $550 worth of difference for my use which is about the same as you. I did however see a 77CX demo unit at Costco with almost 4000 hrs. and I couldn't see any screen burn-in at all and I looked so long I annoyed the Costco guy.

I know burn-in is a real possibility but your QLED can fail just after warranty as well!

Last edited:
How many C8 or newer OLEDs have you heard have experienced burn in? Over 10,000,000 OLED TVs have been sold since 2018 and I am sure they have been abused in every possible way. Do the math. The probability of your OLED TV failing due to other issues is far greater than experiencing failure due to burn in. It is possible to experience burn in on newer OLEDs, but highly improbable.

Almost all of the burn in cases are 2017 and older OLEDs and even then it was extremely rare when compared to the millions of OLEDs sold.

Last edited:
I’ve had the C1 about 2 months now and absolutely love it. Screen burn isn’t really a serious concern with modern OLEDs if you’re sensible. There’s anti burn in features that help and as long as you’re watching varied content and not having one static logo or hud on screen for hours upon hours then I wouldn’t worry.

Apart from screenburn issue, I think if I was buying new screen I'd probably get Panasonic rather than LG.

I've read the Panasonics offer better picture quality, and don't have black crush like the LG's
Not saying not happy with the LG, but I think the above issue is there. The Panasonic menu are awful apparently, the LG webos is very good, so is the built in media player. Not as good as my new Kodi box but good enough for most people

Apart from screenburn issue, I think if I was buying new screen I'd probably get Panasonic rather than LG.

I've read the Panasonics offer better picture quality, and don't have black crush like the LG's
Not saying not happy with the LG, but I think the above issue is there. The Panasonic menu are awful apparently, the LG webos is very good, so is the built in media player. Not as good as my new Kodi box but good enough for most people
Keep It Classy Tech has a great YouTube tutorial for how to fix the near black detail loss or black crush involving adjustments to 22points signal level and after applying his settings it has effectively fixed this issue.

Keep It Classy Tech has a great YouTube tutorial for how to fix the near black detail loss or black crush involving adjustments to 22points signal level and after applying his settings it has effectively fixed this issue.

I have the C9

so even gaming (as normal) with HUDs ,mini maps on screen permanent burn in is rare with newer OLEDs such as CX?

really interested to know which tech is more prone to burn in plasma vs oled as I had plasma and no burn in.

it also puzzles me why would LG specifically market their 48” CX as gaming monitor if there’s such high (or as some say inevitable) risk of permanent burn in?

But reading a thread here about burn in,owner is suggested to stop playing a game after certain hours,remove / fade all HUD avoid certain games etc is just unacceptable imo and lots of effort (if it’s really necessary for the TV to not develop fault) vs a little better quality vs QLED..

still don’t know what to do with my order!

Well the fact LG market the 48” as a monitor as well as all their larger TVs supporting this feature shows they aren’t concerned there’s a significant risk either. I use the reduce HUD luminance feature and I don’t think it impacts my gaming experience. To be honest I try to turn off all hud elements anyway as I find it more immersive.

C8 here no issues, maybe get some slippers 🤣 🤣

Got xbox series x, not a huge amount no, as its a second TV its not heavily used, as above and seen on here elsewhere have turned down levels to reduce its still much bright enough for us.
BBC still have crappy logos though these seem to be see through now so hope these never cause issue.
Since end of 2018.

I have 65CX and the IQ is jaw dropping IMO.

Fanboys vs Doomsayers...That is the game your playing now.

I bought the 77CX and I've had it for a week so I can't attest to any reliability issues. Honestly, I would have been satisfied with the QLED after I got it home. But I probably would have still wanted an OLED!

Fanboys vs Doomsayers...That is the game your playing now.

I bought the 77CX and I've had it for a week so I can't attest to any reliability issues. Honestly, I would have been satisfied with the QLED after I got it home. But I probably would have still wanted an OLED!
Which QLED you had before the CX?

My 4.5 year old B6 is still going strong (touch wood) and no screen issues.

Just enjoy your new purchase.

Burn is is like anything. If it gets talked about over and over people begin to believe that it is a significant problem and it gets overblown. Many of the social media "experts" just repeat what they have heard with no analytical thought. If you stay off the wild wild web burn in isn't a concern.

Unless you watch your TV from a greater than 20 degree angle I don't think you will see much of an improvement over your Q7F. This opinion is based on rtings.com review of the Q7F.

Last edited:
Burn is is like anything. If it gets talked about over and over people begin to believe that it is a problem and it gets overblown. Many of the "experts" just repeat what they have heard with no analytical thought. If you stay off the wild wild web burn in isn't a concern.

Unless you watch your TV from a greater than 20 degree angle I don't think you will see much of an improvement over your Q7F. This opinion is based on rtings.com review of the Q7F.
It’s inky blacks and overall OLED image quality is that I’m interested in.
The Q7F is great for what it is,but it lacks hdmi 2.1 and 120hz

Last edited:
It’s inky blacks and overall OLED image quality is that I’m interested in.
The Q7F is great for what it is,bul also lacks hdmi 2.1 and 120hz
If you read burn in reports on social media you will always be confused as there are always so many confident experts with varying opinions giving you absolute fool proof advice. Just buy a OLED and enjoy. If you are the 1 in a million that experiences OLED Burn In it won't be the end of the world. Life is full of risks. Successful people are those who take risks and think for themselves.

Last edited:
Which QLED you had before the CX?
I didn't, but I thought that Samsung QLED was the one I would have purchased if not the OLED. My previous was a 60" Samsung LED I had for 5 years but it developed a small bright spot in upper corner so I had to replace it.

The OLED image is excellent and I'm in process of replaying my 4k library and looking for a new Atmos soundbar.

With a the Q7F having a 5611:1 natural contrast ratio I would say you are going to have close to inky blacks.

If you read burn in reports on social media you will always be confused as there are always so many confident experts with varying opinions giving you absolute fool proof advice. Just buy a OLED and enjoy. If you are the 1 in a million that experiences OLED Burn In it won't be the end of the world. Life is full of risks. Successful people are those who take risks and think for themselves.
I know what you're saying,I did lots of research,even in 2018 when I was buying the QLED Q7F,I was originally after an OLED back then but in the end decided against it for the same reason.

fast forward 2021 and I couldn't resist the temptation this time,owning 120Hz 4K PC and PS5 also is a deciding factor.my heart says keep the OLED,my brain says cancel the order lol the
I don't know will do more research tonight and will decide by tomorrow.
it's from Richer Sounds so 6 yrs warranty but no burn in plan..

I didn't, but I thought that Samsung QLED was the one I would have purchased if not the OLED. My previous was a 60" Samsung LED I had for 5 years but it developed a small bright spot in upper corner so I had to replace it.

The OLED image is excellent and I'm in process of replaying my 4k library and looking for a new Atmos soundbar.
it seems for people who move from normal LCD LEDs to OLED the wow factor is huge and it kind of makes up for the fear of burn in,but is mine is a mid range QLED so the wow factor won't be as much.and I wonder if I can use it for gaming normally without constant silly compromises like not playing the same game evey day,not playing games with static map not playing games for hours etc
because to me at that point it's just a flaw and I don't want such limitation for slightly better blacks and pq vs QLED.
also some people say the OLED TV will eventually develop burn in,after around 3 years,and that's why manufacturers don't offer warranty for permanent burn in.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom