LG CX (OLED65CX) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

yba_us

sheppty

Can anyone confirm the width and depth of the stand the panel sits on? I can’t find the exact dimensions online. I want to ensure it will fit on my TV stand. I know the panel will overhang either side but want to make sure the stand won’t hang off either side as well. Thanks indeed.

iangreasby

Can anyone confirm the width and depth of the stand the panel sits on? I can’t find the exact dimensions online. I want to ensure it will fit on my TV stand. I know the panel will overhang either side but want to make sure the stand won’t hang off either side as well. Thanks indeed.
Mine is the 77 CX so I can't give you the exact dimensions. However, I measured that it would overhang by about 5mm each side (which I was happy with). When it arrived it doesn't overhang because the maximum width is actually raised slightly. The actual width that makes contact with the cabinet will be a bit less than advertised. In other words, if it's a close call you will be fine. Hope that makes sense! :)

sheppty

Mine is the 77 CX so I can't give you the exact dimensions. However, I measured that it would overhang by about 5mm each side (which I was happy with). When it arrived it doesn't overhang because the maximum width is actually raised slightly. The actual width that makes contact with the cabinet will be a bit less than advertised. In other words, if it's a close call you will be fine. Hope that makes sense! :)
Thanks for the info.

FevreDream

I'm getting a CX at some point but happy to wait for the prices to start falling, so sometime between late this year (Black Friday maybe?) and Spring next year.

Tristan45

Get my 65CX from LG soon replaced by my dead 65B7,so hopefully see a picture improvement

phairplay

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,
I'm thinking on purchasing a new TV, I started by looking at the B9 and now moved to the CX (pushing my budget for a new model).

I'm wanting to ditch my shield and use the LG internal apps to play: Plex, Netflix, Amazon prime and Disney + and have the sound sent to a soundbar (currently like the look of the Sony HT ZF9).

Does the above internal apps pass D-Atmos ect to a soundbar (ZF9 does support eARC)

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,
I'm thinking on purchasing a new TV, I started by looking at the B9 and now moved to the CX (pushing my budget for a new model).

I'm wanting to ditch my shield and use the LG internal apps to play: Plex, Netflix, Amazon prime and Disney + and have the sound sent to a soundbar (currently like the look of the Sony HT ZF9).

Does the above internal apps pass D-Atmos ect to a soundbar (ZF9 does support eARC)
I'm waiting on this too... the C9 certainly doesn't - or rather to clarify, it doesn't send it lossless, it can send Atmos but not TrueHD with Atmos. So for Netflix etc it is absolutely fine as it will send as good as they provide, Plex is more of an issue as a result.

I ended up having to buy a Shield as a result :(

phairplay

Distinguished Member
another question if someone could help

Whats the difference between CX5LB and the CX6LA

I can't seem to see a clear answer anywhere

phairplay

Distinguished Member
Great that makes no difference to me as its going on the wall.
Also it seems 6la is exclusive to currys

kiran_mk2

I'm waiting on this too... the C9 certainly doesn't - or rather to clarify, it doesn't send it lossless, it can send Atmos but not TrueHD with Atmos. So for Netflix etc it is absolutely fine as it will send as good as they provide, Plex is more of an issue as a result.

I ended up having to buy a Shield as a result :(
It was reported on the US-based AVS Forum that the internal apps cannot access the eARC functionality and that as this is a limit of the Alpha9 processor (gen 2 in C9 and gen 3 in CX) it can't be fixed via a software update. As mentioned, the easy way around this is to buy and Apple TV (or similar) and use an App like Plex or Infuse.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

why do you wan tto ditch using the shield?

I'm looking to personally buy a shield or apple TV. I just find a device that little bit more stable and obviously excellent for playing properly with the receiver and giving me most of the available display options.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,

If your end goal is ditching the shield and using internal apps then maybe the 2020 lg oleds are not for you :(
No BBC iPlayer, Ch4, ITV apps etc this year.. And nothing to suggest the 2020 range will get them.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
It was reported on the US-based AVS Forum that the internal apps cannot access the eARC functionality and that as this is a limit of the Alpha9 processor (gen 2 in C9 and gen 3 in CX) it can't be fixed via a software update. As mentioned, the easy way around this is to buy and Apple TV (or similar) and use an App like Plex or Infuse.
Haven't been following any of the earc stuff but I'm considering a soundbar.
So with internal apps, If netflix say's dolby digital.. it will output atmos but a crapper version of it?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
So with internal apps, If netflix say's dolby digital.. it will output atmos but a crapper version of it?

I just watched the Witcher with Atmos via internal app and my Denon showed ATMOS and noise was coming from the ceiling so it works. :)

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
why do you wan tto ditch using the shield?

I'm looking to personally buy a shield or apple TV. I just find a device that little bit more stable and obviously excellent for playing properly with the receiver and giving me most of the available display options.
For me, I had to buy it just to get Lossless Audio via Plex. I find it much more clunky and unstable than the built in apps. I use it purely for Plex, everything else I run direct... so it's a rather expensive solution to a problem that I was hoping could be solved by the TV itself!

gunner84

Distinguished Member
If your end goal is ditching the shield and using internal apps then maybe the 2020 lg oleds are not for you :(
No BBC iPlayer, Ch4, ITV apps etc this year.. And nothing to suggest the 2020 range will get them.
I use internal apps, I have really streamlined everything, took out my apple tv 4k box and use all the apps on the TV now, not fussed about BBC iplayer, used that app very rarely.

I still have my oppo203 to get best audio available, although having sonos arc DTS is an issue. but for lossless atmos its fine.

Is there much difference between Atmos DD+ and Atmos True HD, not really compared yet myself.

phairplay

Distinguished Member
I did think about that but its not a deal breaker for me I run plex and *Cough* acquire everything I watch from the likes of BBC C4 Sky ect

kiran_mk2

The CX is more complicated than it should be:

Interal apps --> limited to ARC (i.e. Dolby Digital Plus Atmos is the best you will get)
External device--> all Dolby formats passed through eARC (inlcuding Dolby TruHD Atmos), but NO DTS tracks (DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-MA, DTS:X)

jmacc

Distinguished Member
The CX is more complicated than it should be:

Interal apps --> limited to ARC (i.e. Dolby Digital Plus Atmos is the best you will get)
External device--> all Dolby formats passed through eARC (inlcuding Dolby TruHD Atmos), but NO DTS tracks (DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-MA, DTS:X)
Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Is there a big noticeable difference from Dolby Digital Plus Atmos to proper Atmos or not really to the average joe?
How about the c9, does that pass full atmos from internal apps?

When Sonos add LPCM willl that make a difference to internal apps etc?

God I sound like such a n00b with all this audio stuff :blush::blush::rotfl::rotfl::rolleyes:

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Is there a big noticeable difference from Dolby Digital Plus Atmos to proper Atmos or not really to the average joe?
How about the c9, does that pass full atmos from internal apps?

When Sonos add LPCM willl that make a difference to internal apps etc?

God I sound like such a n00b with all this audio stuff :blush::blush::rotfl::rotfl::rolleyes:
Both C9 and C10 can't pass full fat atmos from internal apps, due to the alpha 9 processor.