LG CX (OLED55CX) TV Review & Comments

Thanks for the review Phil, & also the the review of the Philips 805.
Forgetting at the moment of gaming on the two sets & the fact that the CX is about £200 more expensive than the 805. When it comes to overall picture quality of the two sets when viewing UHD Blu ray, HD content & the like, which would be your choice of purchase?.

The lack of DTS support is inexcusable in my book. What’s the point of offering plenty of HDMI ports to support external devices then not route the audio that they might produce? It’s not as if DTS is some sort of marginal format, is it? Yet again, the would-be customer is forced to compromise. Pathetic.

The lack of DTS support is inexcusable in my book. What’s the point of offering plenty of HDMI ports to support external devices then not route the audio that they might produce? It’s not as if DTS is some sort of marginal format, is it? Yet again, the would-be customer is forced to compromise. Pathetic.

It is a shame they removed it but it's quite clear that DTS has lost traction, for people that have a huge library with DTS tracks its not good though, I don't think LG are the only company to not support DTS either in newer TVs?

No, I don’t think so either, but it’s pretty poor nevertheless. It’s obvious that the focus has been on Dolby to support the likes of the Netflix app. It wouldn’t be that much of an issue if there a decent selection of soundbars out there that offered a number of HDMI inputs, but they’re few and far between too. A/V amps. don’t have that restriction, of course, but with the demand for soundbars ever present, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the industry is effectively forcing the consumer’s hand into forgoing any device (in this case DVD/BR players) that can deliver DTS so that demand for those type of products dies, killing off the format.

No, I don’t think so either, but it’s pretty poor nevertheless. It’s obvious that the focus has been on Dolby to support the likes of the Netflix app. It wouldn’t be that much of an issue if there a decent selection of soundbars out there that offered a number of HDMI inputs, but they’re few and far between too. A/V amps. don’t have that restriction, of course, but with the demand for soundbars ever present, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the industry is effectively forcing the consumer’s hand into forgoing any device (in this case DVD/BR players) that can deliver DTS so that demand for those type of products dies, killing off the format.

Oh completely agree, there is no doubt about that, its coming slowly but in the near future its obvious that disc players will be a thing of the past and we go all digital, it's just a matter of when, and companies are slowly adopting or rather forcing that approach on us.

Oh completely agree, there is no doubt about that, its coming slowly but in the near future its obvious that disc players will be a thing of the past and we go all digital, it's just a matter of when, and companies are slowly adopting or rather forcing that approach on us.
The gotcha with streaming is that what to watch is effectively being decided by someone else, not you, and that's what I object to the most. If I could get to see stuff that I currently have in my BR library from a streamed service whenever the fancy takes me, I wouldn't be so irritated. But I can't, and there's the rub. Choice is fine if it's real choice. In the world that we're travelling in, that choice is fast becoming anything other than real.

It is a shame they removed it but it's quite clear that DTS has lost traction, for people that have a huge library with DTS tracks its not good though, I don't think LG are the only company to not support DTS either in newer TVs?

Sorry for the probably daft question but what are the practical implications of this? I was thinking of picking up the 48 CX. Where I was going to locate it, it would be connected to a UHD Blu-ray player (haven't decided which one yet but probably one of the mid range Panasonic or Sony ones) but no AV amp or soundbar. The vast majority of my Blu-rays seem to have DTS (and only DTS) soundtracks. What sound, if any, would I get through the TV in this scenario?

Sorry for the probably daft question but what are the practical implications of this? I was thinking of picking up the 48 CX. Where I was going to locate it, it would be connected to a UHD Blu-ray player (haven't decided which one yet but probably one of the mid range Panasonic or Sony ones) but no AV amp or soundbar. The vast majority of my Blu-rays seem to have DTS (and only DTS) soundtracks. What sound, if any, would I get through the TV in this scenario?

Likely get stereo, unless your bluray player can transcode DTS to dolby digital 5.1. There is a few players that can do this, also the xbox can.

Yup. Trying to use any modern TV festooned with HDMI ports as a switch is a pointless exercise, unless you’re handling bog standard DD. Anything else will result in disappointment.

TBH I was only anticipating getting stereo sound out of the TV anyway. What would I get from a disc with Dolby sound then? Some sort of pseudo surround effect?

I’ve seen the 55” CX on offer recently at a couple of places making it just £100 more than the 48” model.

You wait for new AVForums OLED reviews all summer and then three come right after another. Thank you for another good review @Phil Hinton - it must be nice to be able to compare the similarities and differences of Philips, Panasonic and LG OLEDs side by side :)

I took delivery of the CX55 in June and think it's a fantastic television - for my purposes at least. I bought it primarily for gaming and Netflix - as I have zero interest in television programmes on any channel - with the intention of also adding an AVR and the Xbox Series X (Denon AVR-X2700H arrived on Thursday from Peter Tyson).
Usually buy Samsung and/or Panasonic but more than pleased with my first LG.

Actually, Amazon dropped Dolby Vision and Atmos recently to save a few bucks in licensing. :mad:

With LG dropping DTS, it can be really frustrating as a consumer. Although as long as the TV passes PCM and Dolby, I can hopefully keep my old HDMI 2.0 receiver as it claims to support eARC and I need to plug into the TV to get variable refresh rate.

Has anyone actually tried this combination with the CX and STR-DN1080 using eARC?

Last edited:

Deciding between this and the Sony 48”. Sony have always had top quality motion control. Does the LG match the Sony I wonder ? Given the outrageous £1800 start point for the Sony it would be a decider for me

Currys has a A and B version of this TV. I can't see the A on LG's site; is this a Currys-only model? What's the difference?

Just had a CX55 delivered today and in the process of setting it up and so far so good but I have a quick question…

I can’t see a quick way to switch between Freesat and Freeview and would of thought the option would be on the Home screen but what appears on the Home screen is whatever tuner you have selected in the tuner/programme menu.

Seems a bit of a faff to go into the setting menu to change mode so is there something I’m missing.

Thanks

It wasn't there when this review was done, but I have a 48" arriving next week so will check with that, but they should be there.

Where is the review of the 48”? That’s the size I’m interested in.

Where is the review of the 48”? That’s the size I’m interested in.
It is still being worked on, these things take time. It should be published end of next week at the earliest.

It is still being worked on, these things take time. It should be published end of next week at the earliest.

OK, cool. Thanks for the reply.:smashin:

Hi.
I think I've missed something but where are the AVF tested post calibration settings for this set?

thanks

How do you go about switching off the genre for the Dolby IQ mode? I can’t seem to find it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom