LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I'm regretting buying an LG CX three months ago.
The motion is just horrendous no matter what I do, there's always this distracting stuttery movement. And I don't mean panning shots etc, it's things like people's heads suddenly moving from one position to another, like a flipbook animation that's missing half the pages. It's a mess.
I also struggle to get colours looking good. I can get it looking how I like it, mark down all the settings, have an arse about trying to just tweak it, then revert back to what it was and it looks nothing like how it did!

I've reset several times to default/factory. Nothing. The thing is I didn't notice any of this until the most recent FW update. £1300 for a TV and the motion is worse looking than my 10-year-old 42" Phillips LCD.
The only time I experience poor motion is through my sky q sometimes on hd and SD content. When watching Netflix or Disney+ through the TV apps Dolby vision etc is amazing

I am sorry for both of you @keasy and @Sweet Caroline, not being able to enjoy the OLED TVs you have.

As you can read on this thread, many of us have had multiple OLED TVs, others are new to the technology and, generally speaking, happy with the purchase.

Have you looked at the possibility of returning your TVs?
Probably OLED is not the correct technology for you?

I am sorry for both of you @keasy and @Sweet Caroline, not being able to enjoy the OLED TVs you have.

As you can read on this thread, many of us have had multiple OLED TVs, others are new to the technology and, generally speaking, happy with the purchase.

Have you looked at the possibility of returning your TVs?
Probably OLED is not the correct technology for you?
I fear it's too late for me I'm afraid. I've had the set for 3 months now.

You are aware the the CX was arguably the best TV of the year, attested to by multiple industry experts/reviewers?

Baffles me why people automatically assume that Sony/Panasonic are better in this that and the other.

Ive had multiple 4K LED sets, i initially had a HU7500(i think Mark might have had the same?) Then i picked up a KS8000 before finally making the switch to OLED with a E8. I swapped the E8 for a CX and at the same time, picked up a second hand C8 for the bedroom. OLEDS are in a completely different league to LED sets for me.

Blooming/clouding/DSE was noticable during nearly all content for me on previous LED sets. The only thing we have to be careful of, in my oppinion is that you dont leave the TV paused on something for a pronlonged period of time, to avoid burn in and even then there are built in protective measures to prevent that from happening.

Last edited:
You are aware the the CX was arguably the best TV of the year, attested to by multiple industry experts/reviewers?

Baffles me why people automatically assume that Sony/Panasonic are better in this that and the other.

Ive had multiple 4K LED sets, i initially had a HU7500(i think Mark might have had the same?) Then i picked up a KS8000 before finally making the switch to OLED with a E8. I swapped the E8 for a CX and at the same time, picked up a second hand C8 for the bedroom. OLEDS are in a completely different league to LED sets for me.

Blooming/clouding/DSE was noticable during nearly all content for me on previous LED sets. The only thing we have to be careful of, in my oppinion is that you dont leave the TV paused on something for a pronlonged period of time, to avoid burn in and even then there are built in protective measures to prevent that from happening.
Is who aware?

Is who aware?
He's saying reviewers and experts say its the best..I did look all this up before buying, knew there was no free view whereas Sony etc has it but I don't use it and have all that on skyQ..what are you watching when you get motion problems? Sounds like what you get from a poor signal

I have Freeview HD on mine mate.
It happens on DTV/Freeview and Virgin Media V6 stb

I have Freeview HD on mine mate.
It happens on DTV/Freeview and Virgin Media V6 stb
Would Defford happen on free view with a weak signal, virgin I've never had..is Netflix, prime etc fine? I have skyQ and its shit to be honest but its made by logitech so to be expected 😀😀😀

I loved my HU7500 😂 I even paid to have Steve Withers calibrate it!

Is who aware?
Whoever was moaning about regretting buying the TV. So looking back through the previous page, yourself and @Sweet Caroline 🤷🏻‍♂️
I loved my HU7500 😂 I even paid to have Steve Withers calibrate it!
And you were kind enough to share your white balance point settings with me back in the day (despite now knowing this is a no no) 🤣

you must have had some sets between then and now too?!

Last edited:
Whoever was moaning about regretting buying the TV. So looking back through the previous page, yourself and @Sweet Caroline 🤷🏻‍♂️

And you were kind enough to share your white balance point settings with me back in the day (despite now knowing this is a no no) 🤣

you must have had some sets between then and now too?!

Ah yes I forgot I shared them 😂 Nope got the C7 after that then to the current CX.

One thing I have learned with oled is it’s so clear you notice more stuff, I’m watching the last kingdom on Netflix at moment and it seems really dark and grey. It was doing my head in but later found out it’s the directors intent. Most of the time it’s not the tv it’s the content so save yourself hours of tinkering

One thing I have learned with oled is it’s so clear you notice more stuff, I’m watching the last kingdom on Netflix at moment and it seems really dark and grey. It was doing my head in but later found out it’s the directors intent. Most of the time it’s not the tv it’s the content so save yourself hours of tinkering

This. Over on AVS forums they are moaning so much about banding etc yet when they test the scenes on a tablet or whatever it’s the same so it is the content not the tv! Don’t get me wrong there are still some issues with the tv that should be sorted but a lot of the things that get moaned about are not even anything to do with the TV.

This. Over on AVS forums they are moaning so much about banding etc yet when they test the scenes on a tablet or whatever it’s the same so it is the content not the tv! Don’t get me wrong there are still some issues with the tv that should be sorted but a lot of the things that get moaned about are not even anything to do with the TV.
Exactly, I got up the information on the bitrate last night and it’s 3.39mb on a hd stream so in dark scenes the quality isn’t as good on low bitrate, you can see the tv doing it’s best with the content from Netflix, Amazon etc. Until these companies give higher bitrate streams there will always be poor quality on some shows

Somewhat off topic but could any of you gamers out there offer an any advice?

Our 18 year son (serious gamer) has finally acquired an Xbox series X and having discovered it can output at 120 FPS, he is after a new monitor.

His current monitor is a 24” Samsung 1080p, with free sync and only 75Hz, so presumably wont support 120 FPS.

In the real world, will buying a 144Hz monitor make much of a difference to his gaming experience? For reference he mainly plays; rocket league, rainbow six siege, FIFA and Cold War. He is looking for the smoothest and most responsive gaming experience.

Do these games run better at 60 FPS and is 120 FPS just hype or are there real benefits in fast moving online games?

He‘s paying for it himself (like the XSX), so I don’t want him to waste his money buying a new monitor unless it’s got some clear benefits.

If there are, I think I will buy the old monitor off him and kick the TV out of the bedroom that I use for occasional gaming!

Is there a way to quick access the screen saver on the tv?

Hi all, can someone please confirm the latest firmware revision? Having some issues with odd refresh rates and accurate syncing with the MiSTer device. Just want to check I'm up to date.

Super cheers. I have a question about Freesync/VRR. I'm using a MiSTer which uses FPGA emulation to replicate old consoles at a hardware level as such it replicates their refresh rate exactly. So for a Super Nintendo the refresh rate is 60.10hz, for Neo Geo the rate is 59hz etc. Etc. Now, when I spam the green button I get the Freesync info which I've attached. It displays the output correctly e.g. 60.10 or 59, but beneath this is says 'FIXED 60hz'. Does this mean the OLED is reading the refresh rate correctly and then fixing it at 60hz, making it incorrect? Or does 'FIXED' mean it is displaying correctly at the odd refresh rate? Would love an answer to this as it's driving me mad.

Attachments

• 20210503_145928.jpg
    20210503_145928.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 21
I'm regretting buying an LG CX three months ago.
The motion is just horrendous no matter what I do, there's always this distracting stuttery movement. And I don't mean panning shots etc, it's things like people's heads suddenly moving from one position to another, like a flipbook animation that's missing half the pages. It's a mess.
I also struggle to get colours looking good. I can get it looking how I like it, mark down all the settings, have an arse about trying to just tweak it, then revert back to what it was and it looks nothing like how it did!

I've reset several times to default/factory. Nothing. The thing is I didn't notice any of this until the most recent FW update. £1300 for a TV and the motion is worse looking than my 10-year-old 42" Phillips LCD.

LG is a cheap brand, I just got caught up on the Oled is the best hype and as LG makes the panels they'd obviously be the best. But if you think about it in terms of quality the likes of Sony, Panasonic will have much better reliable boards (tech) the problem with faulty panels and panels lottery, well LG make the panel they says it all and i really regret buying one

Keasy: not seen any such issues like that ever, perhaps you got a faulty processor or another tv hardware fault especially if it occurs on all sources (virgin/sky, inbuilt apps, pc, console etc).
I watch MMA weekly for 8hrs+, so people get knocked out within a split second and would have noticed any stuttering or distracting issue. Since you tried it on and off that also may point to a faulty processing of the TV perhaps mainboard issue.

id still at least try record some videos, send it to LG support and see an engineers opinion or if they can book a TV repair see if it improves the motion, nothing else to lose really.

Sweet Caroline:
I am pretty harsh on LG and their QC process, but having said that Sony and other OLED panel manufacturers get their fair share of TV faults and issues, take the new grid effect issue it was recently confirmed even the new 2021 Sonys OLEDS get them these are 3K+ sets, and Sony do a lot more QC on their side then LG but even Value electronics store failed a few Sony sets since they did not meet their QC expectations quality wise, its still a panel lottery sadly with any brand.

Somewhat off topic but could any of you gamers out there offer an any advice?

Our 18 year son (serious gamer) has finally acquired an Xbox series X and having discovered it can output at 120 FPS, he is after a new monitor.

His current monitor is a 24” Samsung 1080p, with free sync and only 75Hz, so presumably wont support 120 FPS.

In the real world, will buying a 144Hz monitor make much of a difference to his gaming experience? For reference he mainly plays; rocket league, rainbow six siege, FIFA and Cold War. He is looking for the smoothest and most responsive gaming experience.

Do these games run better at 60 FPS and is 120 FPS just hype or are there real benefits in fast moving online games?

He‘s paying for it himself (like the XSX), so I don’t want him to waste his money buying a new monitor unless it’s got some clear benefits.

If there are, I think I will buy the old monitor off him and kick the TV out of the bedroom that I use for occasional gaming!
The Series X can support 1440p resolution so that is probably what to aim for. In short yes it makes a difference. I notice games are indeed smoother and more responsive and with 120fps even more so.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom