LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Does this go for HDR/Dolby Vision content and gaming? As RTings recommend the default settings for these options. Out of the box LG have contrast at 100 for HDR/Vision content 👇🏻

Vincent Teoh has contrast at 100 on game mode for the PS5
The constrast should be left at the default setting 85 SDR 100 HDR DV

So LG had me download an app to my phone which they looked at my screen though my phone and took a screen shot and authorized a replacement screen, LG said i would be contacted within 5 days by there engineer's to have a new screen fitted, i have ben waiting over 3 weeks now for the LG engineer to get hold of me so i called LG again and they have told me that "maybe" they could source an new screen at some point in April and excepted this was a long wait and they could not guarantee me a date so now LG have offered me what they call an "UPLIFT" which means LG will give me a full refund and i can buy another TV of any choice within the price i originally paid for my LG CX from the store i originally bought my TV from "Crampton and Moore" so i have called them (Crampton) and decided to have another LG CX and will hope this time i get one without a screen defect.

Had the same issue and I needed to wait 6 weeks in total for the tv to be changed. 3 weeks for lg to gave me the uplift letter as the screen replacement was taking too long and 3 more weeks to be picked up and exchanged by the retailer :|

hmm ill check into this, its so easy to get the wrong settings but I follow the Rtings suggestions then usually go through mark sydow test patterns the contrast and brightness ones just to make sure my CX is displaying the flashing bars to the reference point.

Its possible I this up incorrect though and the settings stuck.

This is with SDR filmmaker mode, I see default is
OLED 25
contrast 85
Brightness 50

Yes I think I do see some slight glow at times around white text against the deep blacks.

Never heard of this 1% full field test pattern, any links or info on how to do this ?
You will always see a glow, or halo, around white against black. Dont get distracted by that, its completely normal.
@markb1980 has described my preferred simple method though I tend to find a black full screen if I can. Be aware that blacks may in fact be dark grey in some programmes or movies, so you need to be certain it is supposed to be black. YouTube has full screen black videos.

Does this go for HDR/Dolby Vision content and gaming? As RTings recommend the default settings for these options. Out of the box LG have contrast at 100 for HDR/Vision content 👇🏻

Vincent Teoh has contrast at 100 on game mode for the PS5
I stand to be corrected but I am sure for HDR10 / Dolby Vision it's recommended that OLED Light and Contrast should be left on defaults = 100.
But SDR contrast should be left on default = 85.

edit: sorry, I see that Parry has replied whilst i was composing this message. 🙂

hmm ill check into this, its so easy to get the wrong settings but I follow the Rtings suggestions then usually go through mark sydow test patterns the contrast and brightness ones just to make sure my CX is displaying the flashing bars to the reference point.

Its possible I this up incorrect though and the settings stuck.

This is with SDR filmmaker mode, I see default is
OLED 25
contrast 85
Brightness 50

Yes I think I do see some slight glow at times around white text against the deep blacks.

Never heard of this 1% full field test pattern, any links or info on how to do this ?
I don't bother with RTings at all, if your want the correct info on what to do and not do have a read on AVS calibration threads.

avs free calibration disk download, select mp4 version, pop it on a USB and stick it in yout cx.
Search on it for I think in hcfr full field test patterns called near black.
This will need to be done in a pitch black room and when your eyes have adjusted to the dark.
Open the 0%, let the menus disappear adjust brightness level one click below 50 and one above 50 to find the black level
There should be no glow with the correct setting..
Then do the same with 1% and yout should see the screen glow slightly.
Your looking to see 1% and nothing no glow at all on 0%

Be sure to turn off oled motion Pro off if it on

I don't bother with RTings at all, if your want the correct info on what to do and not do have a read on AVS calibration threads.

If you Google avs free calibration disk download, select mp4 version, pop it on a USB and stick it in yout cx.
Search on it for I think in hcfr full field test patterns called near black.
This will need to be done in a pitch black room and when your eyes have adjusted to the dark.
Open the 0%, let the menus disappear adjust brightness level one click below 50 and one above 50 to find the black level
There should be no glow with the correct setting..
Then do the same with 1% and yout should see the screen glow slightly.
Your looking to see 1% and nothing no glow at all on 0%

cheers, So Rtings and those other similar quick start guides are maybe very newbie starting points, I think they need an update or almost part 1 and 2 guide :facepalm:

Ok I got that mp4 avs calibration, are you referring to these videos ones:

MP4-2c\ColorHCFR Windows\Near Black

1-0% Black.mp4
2-1% Gray.mp4

So I should default SDR filmmaker picture settings to default, turn all the processing off, adjust my OLED light to what I want. And then go through both those 2 videos off a usb stick or plex app in a pitch black room and follow your instructions ?

What about HDR filmmaker mode ? maybe use markbs black bars method

cheers, So Rtings and those other similar quick start guides are maybe very newbie starting points, I think they need an update or almost part 1 and 2 guide :facepalm:

1-0% Black.mp4
2-1% Gray.mp4

So I should default SDR filmmaker picture settings to default, turn all the processing off, adjust my OLED light to what I want. And then go through both those 2 videos off a usb stick or plex app in a pitch black room and follow your instructions ?

Just use your preferred picture mode which is advised to be filmmaker or ISF modes and have oled set to your preference then do the test.

I wouldn’t use it for HDR or make any adjustments to HDR other than your preferred motion settings and whether you want dynamic tone mapping on or off. If you play with brightness etc on HDR settings you will mess up all kinds of things.

1-0% Black.mp4
2-1% Gray.mp4

Yep, that's the ones.
Yes turn off all processing, set oled light to your liking, ( is oled light 29 which was 100 nits)
Then find your correct brightness, as I say I don't think any 2020 oleds need brightness adjusting from 50 but you will see.
HDR setting again should not be touched, if you are suffering from raised blacks on DV and HDR as some do then drop it one click but after the last Fw update I think it's been fixed for most.

C1 probably won't be much different from the cx ..processor upgrade which you probably wouldn't notice . OS upgrade and the £400-£500 extra to buy one

From looking at it I’d say it’s a huge OS downgrade. Looks awful!

Just use your preferred picture mode which is advised to be filmmaker or ISF modes and have oled set to your preference then do the test.

I wouldn’t use it for HDR or make any adjustments to HDR other than your preferred motion settings and whether you want dynamic tone mapping on or off. If you play with brightness etc on HDR settings you will mess up all kinds of things.

Yep, that's the ones.
Yes turn off all processing, set oled light to your liking, ( is oled light 29 which was 100 nits)
Then find your correct brightness, as I say I don't think any 2020 oleds need brightness adjusting from 50 but you will see.
HDR setting again should not be touched, if you are suffering from raised blacks on DV and HDR as some do then drop it one click but after the last Fw update I think it's been fixed for most.

Cheers makes much better sense to do it this way and it keeps things more simpler and easier.

From looking at it I’d say it’s a huge OS downgrade. Looks awful!
Yeah definitely prefer the OS not to fill up the whole of the screen. Although I don't really use the apps on the TV now Sky have all the apps i use.

Yeah definitely prefer the OS not to fill up the whole of the screen. Although I don't really use the apps on the TV now Sky have all the apps i use.
Tv would be better without the smart part..would rather just buy a 4k firestick

I'm starting to use the internal apps such as disney +, netflix, I was using the apple tv 4k before but its just simple and slightly quicker to use internal apps, find PQ identical and have the benefit of knowing black levels should be correct as opposed to apple tv 4k that has a slight issue with raised blacks in DV.

I'm starting to use the internal apps such as disney +, netflix, I was using the apple tv 4k before but its just simple and slightly quicker to use internal apps,
I do use the tv apps disneg+,ajazon and Netflix but skyQ has all those apps on it..if they did a smart tv and non smart id probably buy the non smart version

I do use the tv apps disneg+,ajazon and Netflix but skyQ has all those apps on it..if they did a smart tv and non smart id probably buy the non smart version

Makes sense for you then, I don't have any cable box connected so its either a device like the apple tv, firestick e.g or internal apps.

I just put neighbours on 5HD colours are pretty poor, peoples skin tones way off looking a yellow tint, I'm using filmmaker mode default settings..if someone has an episode put it on see if it looks similar

Just joined the LG CX club today. Happy with set up so far.

Only problem is the TV is detecting the Sony CT390 soundbar but no sound is coming out. I have changed the sound setting to HDMI ARC in HDMI port 4 and it refuses to turn the volume up or down either. Tried all different types of sound settings but no luck.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? Thanks in advance.

Yes thanks for the confirmation, and that's why I have left my (SDR) contrast set to the default 85 👍
However, some users have felt the need to set their (SDR) contrast to 90 - 96 🤔

After recommending Rtings and other Calibrating guides from the net for past 6 months on here :blush:

Maybe they are good for starting points but think ill keep it simple stupid or KISS approach in future.

Perhaps we should have an updated Dummies guide to OLED picture settings, one with all the best and new recommendations 🤨

Only problem is the TV is detecting the Sony CT390 soundbar but no sound is coming out. I have changed the sound setting to HDMI ARC in HDMI port 4 and it refuses to turn the volume up or down either. Tried all different types of sound settings but no luck.

Audio return channel is hdmi as above stated.
I would recommend connecting then with the power off and unplugged form the mains.

I thought hdmi 2 was for that? I'm probably wrong though 😀😀😀

You can tell I didn't read the instructions right? 😂

HDMI 2 works! My Sony TV was HDMI 3 so assumed it would be the same or LG CX would have ARC on all inputs.

Thanks.

The glow might be from your eyes / brain believe it or not. You can test this by covering up the edge of the letters. If the glow isn't still bleeding into the black area, it is coming from you :).

I'm starting to use the internal apps such as disney +, netflix, I was using the apple tv 4k before but its just simple and slightly quicker to use internal apps, find PQ identical and have the benefit of knowing black levels should be correct as opposed to apple tv 4k that has a slight issue with raised blacks in DV.
For some reason I‘ve never given the internal apps a chance, but those are very good points you’ve raised.
Having to have brightness at 49 to cure the raised blacks on the Apple TV is far from ideal and hugely disappointing for the supposed best streaming box available.
I’ll follow your lead and give the internal apps a try.

When i had the CX Calibrated , the guy told me to use the LGs apps , they were better and 'updated more often'
I always use them

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom