LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Control Button?!?

I thought to add to Quick Access Menu you held down 0?
I just have a list of apps to add, no screen off option.

maybe am calling it wrong its the button below down volume, shaped like a wheel nut

yeah but you have to hold down 0 button for a few secs then it launches quick access menu then you can add short cuts 1-8 etc

Control Button?!?

I thought to add to Quick Access Menu you held down 0?
I just have a list of apps to add, no screen off option.

Hi KT
Press the settings button opposite the home button one quick press brings up menu on left hand side edit button at bottom press this and you will see screen off option

btw I couldn't get a good picture at all showing the skies to post on VT twitter post, but made a separate post anyhow, you done a good job in rallying up the issue hopefully VTs brand name helps.

Lucky you got an good engineer, after a months waiting mine rang me saying he can get to me March.

Refund or store credit perhaps and wait on the new LG Evo next gen OLED series line up and then still see the brush streak effect even more clearer :D

March?? That's rough.

From my reading around the grid/brush stroke issue seemed to crop up around July/August. So something must have changed around that time. I know LG were opening a new plant in China so perhaps that could explain it. As always with these type of subtle issues you're rarely going to get an acknowledgement of the issue from a manufacturer.

It must be a ball ache swapping 77 inch TV's out, but I'd go third time lucky.

This is honestly the best TV spec vs cost wise, and you would be hard pressed to find a diff brand OLED. You won't find a current LCD anywhere near the potential of this.

So roll the dice for a third, if it goes tits up again, I'd wait it out to see what this year brings.

Massive ball ache (albeit in the first world problem category :rotfl:). I have it mounted too with LED lighting attached, so taking it down, removing LED's and reboxing the TV is a serious pain in the hoop!

Massive ball ache (albeit in the first world problem category :rotfl:). I have it mounted too with LED lighting attached, so taking it down, removing LED's and reboxing the TV is a serious pain in the hoop!
Still, worth it one last time 😏😁

March?? That's rough.

From my reading around the grid/brush stroke issue seemed to crop up around July/August. So something must have changed around that time. I know LG were opening a new plant in China so perhaps that could explain it. As always with these type of subtle issues you're rarely going to get an acknowledgement of the issue from a manufacturer.

Yup they got no staff and pandemic and lock downs etc, its location dependant though so unique issue to myself am trying for exchange, refund but will see if I can get backing for it, laws clear I should.

Makes sense with the new plant, must be some manufacturing process gone belly up.

Not the first time companies have done this, Virgin media are still denying their hub 3s are not faulty even when one of their own engineer is aware of a hardware fault and even admitting the only way to fix it is to downgrade to hub 2.0, but another issue all together.

Is it better to use the ITV Hub/BBC iPlayer apps on the TV or on say Apple TV 4K? I’m not sure of any pros or cons, picture and sound wise.

The only thing I do know is for HDR stuff on BBC has to be via the TV app.

Might have answered my own question here but Sonos reports Stereo PCM 2.0 from both sources on ITV Player. And I’m guessing using the TV app it means the TV is doing the upscaling rather than another device, which is best?

New update really doses make the colour in games pop more, even on HGIG. Looks fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_223057.jpg
    IMG_20210113_223057.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 182
The new firmware has changed the output window on the service menu also.

It shows the hours of use the last comp cycle was run.

20210113_225606.jpg

Just got a CX 48" to use for PC gaming and wow really impressed so far! Any recommended settings? Pairing it with a 3080, looking forward to getting the new update! Now rocking a CX 55" in living room CX 48" in the office and a 55" C9 in my sons room!

Last edited:
it's not a TV function, it's a function on the device i use to view my content (nvidia shield). also various apps have it built-in to the apps too (Plex for example).

i don't use any of the "smart" functions of the TV, it's just a monitor for me.
all my video content comes from the shield (including live TV), and all audio comes from soundbar

I've got my 48 CX arriving tomorrow and has planned to use my Shield TV as, like you, I use it for everything including TV and it's been fantastic over the years with my Kuro. I've heard there are issues with the Shield and the CX, maybe in the set actually correctly detecting what the Shield is? Just wondered if you had any issues with it and if the Shield apps appeared any better/worse than the webOS ones? I'm also assuming it's worth me upgrading from my 2017 Shield to the 19 model?

Many thanks

Some of you use 'warm3' or 'eye comfort' option for watching movie or play videogames?
I ask because usually people use warm2 because 'it's the reference'.
But if exist warm3 or eye comfort.. there will be a reason.

Hey everyone. Newbie here.

My CX48 arrives on Friday. I cannot wait :). Upgrade from a 12 year old Panasonic Viera 32" LCD

It's going in the man cave and will be connected to PC (gaming only), PS4 until I can get a PS5 with a Sonos Beam for audio. Mounting it on a cantilever floor stand as didn't want it on the wall but wanted to try and keep out of reach of the 2yr old. Not looking forward to mounting it on my own!

I found some calibration settings on RTings, are these what most of you guys/gals are using as a base?

Hey all, Im a new LG CX 55' owner (big upgrade on my 6 year old 42 inch samsung HD Ready TV!!)

I was told to post in here as I want to get the most out of the TV (best settings etc). I watch all my content pretty much through my Xbox One that has Sky Go on it (no normal antenna yet in the house) and then apps such as Netflix, Amazon. I also have a Series X but no Sky go account on that.

Content I watch mostly is football, films and Tv shows. Then gaming (but from what I understand HDR will kick in when I launch a game)

Also just wondering I see places say "use X settings for sport" and "use Y settings for Film". Does this mean youd have to manually adjust settings each time? Is there a happy medium?

Also can anyone recommend me some good youtubers to go to for best settings? I quickly tried out Vincent Teohs best settings but honestly its looks just too yellow and Dim for me! :D Maybe I set them up wrong.

But yeah just excited to play around with settings but I do want to check out what the experts suggest. Thanks for any info!

Hey, i am also new to the LG CX, but have had it long enough to set up everything, i too, use an xbox series x and ps5 into TV.

On the xbox set everything on under video to your liking, i have just set everything to max (4K/120hz/VRR), and switch ALLM on, keep HDR10+ AND YCC422 unchecked.

Although i dont use the media apps, as i have an Apple TV, you should see the picture switch between game mode and normal, if you hold down the settings button on the remote, you will see the different picture profiles, Game and whatever you select as your default for media that you play.

You can adjust either of these to your liking. HDTV setting on your tube can be a bit dim, if selecting warm 2 in game mode, and i find the game mode darker in HDR mode than most. So have been playing between normal, warm 1 and warm 2. I like warm 1 the most consistently in gaming mode.

I dont use sky or any other tv channels app, so unsure if it auto switches for that too.

Hi all. Just a quick question about the automatic pixel refresher. Supposed to run automatically after every 4 hrs of cumulative use?

How do I know this is running as intended? Am I supposed to see something on the TV while it's off?

I've read the 2000hr/manual refresh is supposed to have a white line scan across the screen, but I've never seen that from this supposed auto refresh. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

Hi all. Just a quick question about the automatic pixel refresher. Supposed to run automatically after every 4 hrs of cumulative use?

How do I know this is running as intended? Am I supposed to see something on the TV while it's off?

I've read the 2000hr/manual refresh is supposed to have a white line scan across the screen, but I've never seen that from this supposed auto refresh. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.
No you won’t see anything on the screen while it runs. After about 4-6 mins you’ll hear the click as it completes and the TV fully powers off.

Last edited:
I managed to skip the previously broken firmware but this latest has to still borked my HDR game mode. Impossible to see in dark areas now & lots of shadow detail gone. Netflix Dolby vision looks better to my eyes though.

Just got a CX 48" to use for PC gaming and wow really impressed so far! Any recommended settings? Pairing it with a 3080, looking forward to getting the new update! Now rocking a CX 55" in living room CX 48" in the officer and a 55" C9 in my sons room!
Damn it, thought I was doing ok with a 55cx and 65c9, looks like I need to go buy another for the loft 😏😋
Hey everyone. Newbie here.

My CX48 arrives on Friday. I cannot wait :). Upgrade from a 12 year old Panasonic Viera 32" LCD

It's going in the man cave and will be connected to PC (gaming only), PS4 until I can get a PS5 with a Sonos Beam for audio. Mounting it on a cantilever floor stand as didn't want it on the wall but wanted to try and keep out of reach of the 2yr old. Not looking forward to mounting it on my own!

I found some calibration settings on RTings, are these what most of you guys/gals are using as a base?
Yeah pretty much, but there's a bit of variety too, whatever looks good for you though 😉

As mentioned you won't see anything, there's an audio cue with the power click. I have bias lighting connected to the USB, it remains on whilst the TV is doing it (6 mins for me) then power off.

Nowhere near 2k hours on the cx, but other oleds I've never seen the white line, but then again I've not sat there for an hour watching a blank screen! Wife would definitely think I'm cuckoo 🤣

I managed to skip the previously broken firmware but this latest has to still borked my HDR game mode. Impossible to see in dark areas now & lots of shadow detail gone. Netflix Dolby vision looks better to my eyes though.
Strange, maybe try power cycling the TV or resetting the picture mode? Before factory anyway.
The FW is great for me at least...

Is it better to use the ITV Hub/BBC iPlayer apps on the TV or on say Apple TV 4K? I’m not sure of any pros or cons, picture and sound wise.

The only thing I do know is for HDR stuff on BBC has to be via the TV app.
Use the ITV Hub on Sky Q as it's in HD and no ad breaks.

I've got my 48 CX arriving tomorrow and has planned to use my Shield TV as, like you, I use it for everything including TV and it's been fantastic over the years with my Kuro. I've heard there are issues with the Shield and the CX, maybe in the set actually correctly detecting what the Shield is? Just wondered if you had any issues with it and if the Shield apps appeared any better/worse than the webOS ones? I'm also assuming it's worth me upgrading from my 2017 Shield to the 19 model?

Many thanks

i have no issues with the shield and CX, mine is connected to a soundbar though, not direct to the TV.
the 2019 support Dolby Vision, so if you want that then it's a worthwhile upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom