LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Yes. I removed 2 plastics. The one on the screen and the one on the back above the vents
Mine has/had this smell. It definitely gets better over time although if I sniff near the grills at the back I can still detect it. I just hope nobody through the window can see me sniffing my TV 😂. It has not resulted in any performance issues.

Mine has/had this smell. It definitely gets better over time although if I sniff near the grills at the back I can still detect it. I just hope nobody through the window can see me sniffing my TV 😂. It has not resulted in any performance issues.

Just curious if anyone has called LG re this?
My CX 77 was fine. Not even a slight whiff! All seems a bit strange this burning smell issue!

Can everyone keep emailing/social media LG about lack of UK tv smart apps? My Xbox One Series X keeps playing up with All 4 so I need it :)

Just curious if anyone has called LG re this?
My CX 77 was fine. Not even a slight whiff! All seems a bit strange this burning smell issue!
Yeah I bought mine a week and a half ago and it has zero smell 🤷

Yes I have deep colour enabled, I think the info box does say if you have any issues with glitches or issues, to disable it but not seen any issues in the 2 months I have used it.

I don't think it makes any difference mind you when I tried switching it on and off, I am hoping the new Virgin 360 box has much better 4K UHD and HDR support and better picture quality though, I don't think the V6 is cutting it the picture looks a bit too soft on HD channels although could be normal.
Hi
I have also noticed that the HD channels on the V6 to my 48"CX are slightly soft (BBC One News is the sometimes the exception) Sky movies HD are all slightly soft , have tested using my old Samsung 49"Q60 and the V6 is still soft on that as well. picture quality using my Amazon Fire stick is much better than the V6 not sure what or if Virginmedia have done anything lately but there are quite a few people on their forums complaining about picture quality and pixilation.

Regards
KeithW

Ok, maybe just let it settle for a week?
The tv is in a small room so you can smell it more quickly. It is very strong smell though 😅

Would be a shame to return the panel cause the picture is awesome! Let's hope the smell fades over time like yours.

Ok, maybe just let it settle for a week?
The tv is in a small room so you can smell it more quickly. It is very strong smell though 😅

Would be a shame to return the panel cause the picture is awesome! Let's hope the smell fades over time like yours.
My first 55CX smelled really strong and after a week it still smelled the same strength. I had that one replaced, due to the smell and a curved screen. The new CX is 100% smell free. But anyway like others have said, theirs got better after time. So hopefully yours will too.

My first 55CX smelled really strong and after a week it still smelled the same strength. I had that one replaced, due to the smell and a curved screen. The new CX is 100% smell free. But anyway like others have said, theirs got better after time. So hopefully yours will too.
I remember reading about your issues, now you have the new panel, I take it it looks alot different to your original one? Not curved!

I remember reading about your issues, now you have the new panel, I take it it looks alot different to your original one? Not curved!
Yes the new TV looks all good, have it a few weeks now and no complaints so far. All working well with
the Xbox series X and PS5.

Hi
I have also noticed that the HD channels on the V6 to my 48"CX are slightly soft (BBC One News is the sometimes the exception) Sky movies HD are all slightly soft , have tested using my old Samsung 49"Q60 and the V6 is still soft on that as well. picture quality using my Amazon Fire stick is much better than the V6 not sure what or if Virginmedia have done anything lately but there are quite a few people on their forums complaining about picture quality and pixilation.

Regards
KeithW
I am using a V6 box with my CX55 and have posted this information on another thread but could you see if it improves the picture performance for you.

After reading lots of posts on the VM forums I have found the following works for me.

Go to Settings/Video Output and change the following settings.

Aspect Correction Mode = Panel, Letterbox Colour = Black, Video Output Format = All

In the Video Output Formats sub menu tick all the following.

2160p,
2160p 24/25/30fps (pass through)
1080p
1080p 24/25/30fps (pass through)
1080i
720p
576p
576i

Bly Manor was the show which finally made me realise the CX has a problem with it’s auto-dimming of ‘static’ images feature. Dark scenes would dim to such a low level that it made them look AWFUL. My £7 service remote resolved this problem and the show became watchable. Still not a wow factor presentation but the faulty auto-dimming was making in unbearable for me. Even the missus noticed it!
Looking at the thread at AVS, some are talking about needing to turn off GSR too.
Any truth in that for the CX, or was TPC all you changed?

Can everyone keep emailing/social media LG about lack of UK tv smart apps? My Xbox One Series X keeps playing up with All 4 so I need it :)
Your what keeps playing up now?!

+1 to that, smelt bad for a week but gone now unless you sniff the back on the left hand side.

Yes. I removed 2 plastics. The one on the screen and the one on the back above the vents

Some guys have said in the past it took a good 7-8 days if not a week or two for it to pass, worth airing out the room a bit and see if it improves, but you are certainly not alone if the smell does not go away after a good 2-3 weeks id consider returning it as a fault.

Some guys have said in the past it took a good 7-8 days if not a week or two for it to pass, worth airing out the room a bit and see if it improves, but you are certainly not alone if the smell does not go away after a good 2-3 weeks id consider returning it as a fault.
There's a post on AVS Forums from a 55CX owner back in March mentioning the smell when new so its been an issue since launch. Maybe its just the 55s affected.

Hi

Regards
KeithW

Yeah, I know what you mean, I think virgin hd and even skyhd channels are 1080i not the almost truer 1080p which should be a bit sharper and detailed, I believe its how many satellite and cable companies cram so many channels down the pipe.

We probably won't see any change in picture quality for a while, not till more channels go uhd 4k which probably is a long way off.

Looking at the thread at AVS, some are talking about needing to turn off GSR too.
Any truth in that for the CX, or was TPC all you changed?
I literally only turned TPC off and it solved the dimming problems I was having. I’ve not noticed any other dimming problems personally. I guess it depends on your use.

There's a post on AVS Forums from a 55CX owner back in March mentioning the smell when new so its been an issue since launch. Maybe its just the 55s affected.

48cx sadly also, I read of 2-3 48cx owners with similar burning smell from back, and they removed the plastic from back and front too. I think the smell went eventually. LGs quality control perhaps lacking.

I think I've discovered another bug which seems to have been introduced on this latest firmware to fix VRR. On series x if you boot up Call of Duty Cold War, quite often when you boot the multiplayer mode you get horrendous lag/stutter almost like huge fps drops. Simply switching on the secret menu on the LG remote using the green button resolved it OR returning to Xbox dash and straight back to game which leads me to believe it's a VRR bug introduced with this update. It was not happening prior to me updating to version 03.11.30. Has anyone else had this issue?

Random little question here about the web browser on this set, however unlikely it is that anyone here uses it, hopefully someone can answer. Basically it's looks like it supports tabbed browsing, and in the c7 you can open links in new tabs by dragging the link to the top of the screen, that doesn't seem to work on the CX, so does anybody know how to open links in new tabs?

I think I've discovered another bug which seems to have been introduced on this latest firmware to fix VRR. On series x if you boot up Call of Duty Cold War, quite often when you boot the multiplayer mode you get horrendous lag/stutter almost like huge fps drops. Simply switching on the secret menu on the LG remote using the green button resolved it OR returning to Xbox dash and straight back to game which leads me to believe it's a VRR bug introduced with this update. It was not happening prior to me updating to version 03.11.30. Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm pretty sure people have complained about that since the game came out. I've yet to try the 120 mode though.

Last edited:
I literally only turned TPC off and it solved the dimming problems I was having. I’ve not noticed any other dimming problems personally. I guess it depends on your use.
Sounds good. I’ve ordered a remote. For the sake of £7 it seems silly not to.
ASBL has been really annoying me recently.:(

Anyone know of any retailers who are ok with quibble free returns? My retailer have been exceptional thus far but they have now lost patience with me. I got my replacement last Wednesday & it is not performing to anything like the level of quality that the last TV did. They brought out another on Tuesday this week & we compared both. They were both as poor as each other. Grey/too dark HDR especially in games. Colours way off etc. They’ve offered to either swap it for the 48” Sony or issue me a refund? Having just got an Xbox series X I’m reluctant to give up my 2.1 privileges. Thinking about trying a CX from another retailer. Anyone had any good experiences recently?

Man tough position really, I know a few guys prefer sony oleds and feel their quality control is better and in general there master series range tend to be decent overall for uniformity, banding and almost better out the box. Thing is its still a panel lottery and any retailer could simply turn round and say banding or DSE etc not covered denying a refund or exchange so watch out.

Maybe worth buying from another place, trying CX and the Sony oled and give both a good 50hrs usage and send which ever one is worse back ?

It's either that or you sit tight and wait for 2021 range which should hopefully be better or go led perhaps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom