LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hey all, I've had a 55 inch LG B6 OLED for the past 4 years and with the next gen consoles coming out and having future games at 120 fps I have been considering upgrading to the CX.

Could anyone tell me, aside from the HDMI 2.1 that's in this model.. are there any other major upgrades over what I already have and is it worth upgrading to this current model at the moment?

Cheers

I'm the same... got a B6 in the living room - watching it right now - bought a PS5, and also added a 48inch CX in the kitchen

The PS5 looks AMAZING on the B6... and sure, it's not futureproofed for stuff like VRR etc, but the fundamental qualities of OLED make PS5 games look the business. If you can hold off for a bit for the CX to drop in price or the 2021 model, do it. Buy the PS5 / Xbox with confidence now.

I’d like to get some bias lighting, like the LED strips I’ve seen some people on here have on the back of their CX. The wife isn’t a fan so would just be for when she’s out or in bed haha. So would it be ok if I just plugged the lights into the USB port when I wanted to use them?

Also, do people use the bias lights when playing video games?

And finally, would anybody be kind enough to recommend some bias USB lights? Maybe on Amazon?
These have been flawless for 2.5 years now. Not bad for £11. Just use the remote to turn them on and off, as well as selecting white light rather than red, blue, green, etc.
Amazon product ASIN B01N227909

I'm perfectly straight on with the screen - from the right side it is very slightly improved, but still visibly pinkish on the left side of the screen - enough that grass looks unnatural from every angle.

Thanks to @Andrew4172 pointing out it's an OLED panel lottery thing, I'm going to call John Lewis tomorrow (21 days after purchase) and hope they'll exchange it for another. Fingers crossed...
OK, i have something slightly similar but it disappears watching straight on and swaps when watching from the other angle. Its a bit annoying considering OLED's are raved about for their viewing angles but don't fancy swapping it as, like you say, could end up with a worse panel in the panel lottery, besides i have almost no banding on this one.

Might be a stupid question, but before anything comes on the tv my screen goes a slight light black colour and I can see the odd darker mark elsewhere on the screen, then the show appears, should this just be complete black or this light black i mention?

I’d like to get some bias lighting, like the LED strips I’ve seen some people on here have on the back of their CX. The wife isn’t a fan so would just be for when she’s out or in bed haha. So would it be ok if I just plugged the lights into the USB port when I wanted to use them?

And finally, would anybody be kind enough to recommend some bias USB lights? Maybe on Amazon?

I have some bias lights connected to TV's USB. Came with a controller (no app). However I found that my Harmony remote, for some of my devices, would sent codes that also changed setting on the lights! In the end I set them to white and put black tape over the sensor.

Just to add to the other posters suggestions.
I purchased these Govee bias leds from amazon on a lightning deal.
They are recommended for 46 to 55 screens.
Alexa and remote control etc.
I haven't had time to fit them yet as i have only had my CX 55 for a few days. 🙂

Amazon product ASIN B07RPN3KL6

Last edited:
Is anyone having trouble switching between Optical Audio and HDMI Arc for the LG CX?

I have a Sonos Arc sound bar which I use when watching movies. While playing games, I use headphones connected to the Optical Audio output on my TV.

You would think that changing the output would be a one button action. It is not...

Expected behavior: When switching to Optical, it stays on Optical Audio until I manually switch back to HDMI Arc.

Actual behavior: When switching to Optical, it automatically switches back to HDMI Arc.

Workaround: Switching to Optical Audio does not work while CEC and eArc is enabled. It will just automatically switch back to HDMI Arc.

In order to switch from HDMI Arc to Optical Audio I have to do the following in exactly this order or it will not work:
- Disable CEC
- Disable eArc
- Switch from HDMI Arc to Optical

When I want to switch back, I have do the following exactly in this order:
- Enable CEC
- Switch from Optical to HDMI Arc
- Enable eArc

Each of the 3 things I have to do while switching is in a different menu which makes switching audio between headphones and surround sound really cumbersome.

Does anyone have an easier solution?
Hey, I have the same setup, it's annoying but I found the only way to get it to switch and not switch back was to go into all settings, connection, device connection settings, turn simplink to off, and it will let you switch no problem. If you want simplink back on just go to the same spot and turn it back on when you need

does anyone have some good scenes that showcase very bright content against a dark background?

i have a problem with my eyes, so i see halos around lights, and wanted to see if i actually get "blooming" around bright content surrounded by black, i want either samsung QLED or lg OLED, but i want to see if the oled actually is suitable for me because of my eye issue!

I have done the classic rgb test.
I noticed that when the screen is totally yellow..the yellow seems less 'pop' and more 'dimmed'.
It's normal?
If the screen is not entirely yellow,the image doesn't seems dim.
With a total yellow tint screen (like this IMDB Yellow Color Scheme » Brand and Logo » SchemeColor.com), if i change the peak brightness value, the image doesn't become brighter.

Thanks for the replies and recommendations about bias lighting! I have ordered some Govee ones which will arrive today by 10pm. How do people actually have them attached to the TV? Just around the top thin part on the back of the TV?

Morning All, can anyone help with a sound problem?

Sound from a Sony G700 has periodically started cutting out for a second or two when using the native LG Netflix and Apple TV apps, on both Atmos and non-Atmos content. If I rewind a few seconds the cut-out happens at the same place each time. Sound bar connected direct to TV. But everything works fine when I watch the same content via Apple TV 4K, via TV eARC.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Software update 3.11.30 was pushed to my CX this am. Crystal Palace transmitter.

Morning all, got a quick question i was wondering someone can give me their opinion on.
My friend bought the CX77 and we installed the stand and put in on a level tv unit and the TV appears to angle backwards , so it isn't fully vertical.
We are talking a significant amount of about 5cm.
Is this a known issue, has anyone else experienced this?

I am looking to get the CX65 myself in the next week, but was wondering if i am liable to have the same issue?
I will be placing it on a flat top for now, but will be wall mounting in the future once we have I have decided how i want my TV and living room arranged.

Thanks

My friend bought the CX77 and we installed the stand and put in on a level tv unit and the TV appears to angle backwards , so it isn't fully vertical.
We are talking a significant amount of about 5cm.
The stand is likely designed that way. Most of the stand is behind the very large and heavy screen, so the lean angle is meant to keep the screen from falling forward. Some instructions even suggest attaching a wire from the back of the tv to the wall for the same reason. I think the angle also has something to do with addressing reflection issues.

Another support option (wall mount, pedestal base) would give you more adjustment possibilities.

The stand is likely designed that way. Most of the stand is behind the very large and heavy screen, so the lean angle is meant to keep the screen from falling forward. Some instructions even suggest attaching a wire from the back of the tv to the wall for the same reason. I think the angle also has something to do with addressing reflection issues.

Another support option (wall mount, pedestal base) would give you more adjustment possibilities.
I get the requirement for the wall tie and have given the light reflection argument some thought too.
However i don't think the lean due to mitigating light reliction is correct, as that is not really done when you wall mount the TV.

I may start a new topic, to see if many people have experienced the same "lean" when they are using the provided stand with the TV rather than wall mounting it.

Sorry if this has been mention before I’ve just bought a cx 65” and the problem I’ve got is earc every time I enable it on the tv the amp spots outputting sound with is a denon avr4500 but as soon as I disable earc the sound comes back anyone having the same issues

thanks

I get the requirement for the wall tie and have given the light reflection argument some thought too.
However i don't think the lean due to mitigating light reliction is correct, as that is not really done when you wall mount the TV.

I may start a new topic, to see if many people have experienced the same "lean" when they are using the provided stand with the TV rather than wall mounting it.

Yes quite a few people have the lean back with the stand. I have it with my CX55 and if you google it lots of other people have it also and LG have confirmed this is by design but not every stand does it.

Yes quite a few people have the lean back with the stand. I have it with my CX55 and if you google it lots of other people have it also and LG have confirmed this is by design but not every stand does it.

Interesting that LG have acknowledged it.
Thanks.

By design but not every stand does it?! The mind boggles!

Sorry if this has been mention before I’ve just bought a cx 65” and the problem I’ve got is earc every time I enable it on the tv the amp spots outputting sound with is a denon avr4500 but as soon as I disable earc the sound comes back anyone having the same issues

thanks

There seems to be some issues with eARC functionality. I have almost the opposite of you in that my Yamaha AVR keeps being forced ON when eARC is switched on in the menu, even if the TV is set to internal speaker. Case is currently with LG.
Might be worth raising a case with them but be prepared that they may blame your Denon equipment...!

Software update 3.11.30 was pushed to my CX this am. Crystal Palace transmitter.

it's pushed out over the internet, not via the DVB-T transmitter.

I received firmware 3.11.30 update this morning as well

does anyone have some good scenes that showcase very bright content against a dark background?

i have a problem with my eyes, so i see halos around lights, and wanted to see if i actually get "blooming" around bright content surrounded by black, i want either samsung QLED or lg OLED, but i want to see if the oled actually is suitable for me because of my eye issue!

Try one of the test patterns here:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom