LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Had my first experience or raised/flashing Blacks on the TV.

A good scene for it is in the movie "Black Box" on prime video. Minute 15 onwards. I lowered brightness to 49 and it fixed it. Not leaving my brightness at 49 though as that will cause more issues in general viewing than it fixes in near black scenes.

Can calibration fix this also?

Edit: Just to say this was HDR and not Dolby Vision.

temporarily change contrast to 99 or 98.

That's good, I should have noted on my post the burn in protection with JL has to be bought separately its £140 insurance, small price to pay for peace of mind though you have to buy it within 60 days of purchase if not at the same time.

I had very little headache with JL, emailed them when I had a fault, they sent 2 guys to check it and confirm the fault (had white patches on top of my LED samsung TV) they said yup its faulty, came back in 5 days time and took 20 minutes to replace it so pretty headache free service from them.

Yeah, I took the insurance out straight away, if I damage it it'll likely be when I'm mounting it on the wall, plus I generally think if you've paid for the insurance everything tends to become easier when dealing with any issues.

One bad thing I did notice is when I was purchasing the JL insurance over the phone she told me specifically if the TV falls off the wall it's not covered.

This is not what you want to hear when you are about to wall mount a 15KG TV on a plasterboard wall :laugh:

I understand it though from both sides of the coin, still sucks in the old days they use to 'investigate' if it was genuine or done on purpose and even then it was often deemed done on purpose simply to avoid pay out no doubt.

Either way I sleep better knowing burn in is covered that is until my precious OLED falls off the wall
@ 4am on Sunday morning waking up the entire street.
I must admit that the peace of mind of having the burn in cover was the main reason for me going for the extra protect plus policy.
I would have assumed that it falling off the wall would be classed as an accident, after all it wouldn't be an intentional action.
Did you contact D&G directly about the accidental cover aspect of the policy.

Before I purchase this TV is there any difference in the picture quality between 55” and 65”?

I see people mention about grey scales and what not but I will not be looking for issues, plug in and enjoy is my aim.

However people who are hunting for issues etc is there a clear consensus that 55” or 65” are worse?

What’s everybody’s opinion on tru motion on the CX? I’ve been mainly using for Netflix and for non HDR 4K content, I find it a bit juddery (I’m a judder hater). ‘Smooth’ and ‘Natural’ add too much blur for me so I’ve settled on a middle ground of ‘Cinema Clear’ at the moment.

I have noticed ‘Cinema Clear’ is forced on for HDR content and seems to work MUCH better when showing HDR content vs non HDR. Is there a reason for this?

What is the best logo luminance adjustment setting? (Gaming and watching TV) high or low?

Finally, does anyone know where I can find a listing of all recommended settings (I know this isn’t as good as proper calibration), I found the rtings ones a bit difficult to follow as they’re not precise.

Failing that, can anyone recommend a professional calibrating service in North West UK, or at least point me at some videos/content to try myself?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
What’s everybody’s opinion on tru motion on the CX? I’ve been mainly using for Netflix and for non HDR 4K content, I find it a bit juddery (I’m a judder hater). ‘Smooth’ and ‘Natural’ add too much blur for me so I’ve settled on a middle ground of ‘Cinema Clear’ at the moment.

I have noticed ‘Cinema Clear’ is forced on for HDR content and seems to work MUCH better when showing HDR content vs non HDR. Is there a reason for this?

What is the best logo luminance adjustment setting? (Gaming and watching TV) high or low?

Finally, does anyone know where I can find a listing of all recommended settings (I know this isn’t as good as proper calibration), I found the rtings ones a bit difficult to follow as they’re not precise.

Failing that, can anyone recommend a professional calibrating service in North West UK, or at least point me at some videos/content to try myself?

Thanks for the help!
I hated the judder on my C8 and couldn't get rid of it of it no matter what I tried, Cinema Clear on the CX has been great however

Have to say Netflix looks better on the CX compared to my old A7. I'm surprised! My slow internet means I stream at 720p (or below on a bad day) so I figured the 1080p oled would do better due to less upscaling/processing, but no! I watched the social network and at times it would've passed as a Blu-ray (at a quick glance).

That A9 chip is good bit of kit compared to the 2014 version.

Gone back to using arc as well. So far so good. Was having a nightmare with netflix for a time because no amount of lip sync adjustment would get it working right.

I must admit that the peace of mind of having the burn in cover was the main reason for me going for the extra protect plus policy.
I would have assumed that it falling off the wall would be classed as an accident, after all it wouldn't be an intentional action.
Did you contact D&G directly about the accidental cover aspect of the policy.

Yeah, same burn in was the main factor but tbh when you see the LG burn proof features in action such as ABL and ASBL, burn in should be a myth at this point. Lg did it right not 1 but a couple of features to fix it.

It's that insurance issue since people own their expensive TVs and after 2-3 years suddenly a new one arrives with more bells & whistles so the old TV is involved in an "accident" meaning a new TV will have to be put in free. This is why D&G and Currys and many others don't cover certain accidental damage on TVs or just not at all, you have to go through home insurance and naturally that raises your insurance quote much more the following year.

When I got the CX from JL they did not have the insurance check box on the website, so-called up JL and the call got routed through to D&G, so paid directly over the phone, but she did read out the general TnC and that was the first thing she mentioned literally we don't cover accidents such as TVs falling of the wall.

Before I purchase this TV is there any difference in the picture quality between 55” and 65”?

I see people mention about grey scales and what not but I will not be looking for issues, plug in and enjoy is my aim.

However people who are hunting for issues etc is there a clear consensus that 55” or 65” are worse?

Don't have 55" or 65" but from the vibe of the thread it appears the bigger the screens the more quality control issues and especially Banding issues on the bigger sets like 65" and above.

Oddly the 48CX seems a bit better but it's also pretty new.

I have yet to go hunting for these issues, but at the same time I think the banding check is important on the bigger sets, you don't want to be left with a panel where it looks terrible during actual viewing.

people will not like my settings but hey its what i like

oled backlight 100
contrast 100
brightness 50
sharpeness 30
colour 65

white balance cool
dynamic contrast low

Has anyone used the auto tuning to programme freesat from a sky dish straight into the back of the TV? Mines finds 144 channels, I go to TV guide and they are all there and it says which programmes are on each channel but when I try to watch any of them I get "Invalid Service".

I tried to manually programme the channel and got them working but don't want to sit through scanning each transponder manually.

Any suggestions?

I have settled with Cinema Clear TruMotion for Netflix/Amazon non HDR content, and TruMotion off for Sky Q content.

On the web browser I’ve actually gone with User and dejudder and deblur at 4. This is how I watch the football streaming at the moment with no fans and that setting seems to tidy up the live streams, which are otherwise very juddery.

The logo luminance adjustment I have on high.

Hi,
What is the situation with regards to Freeview Play on the LG? I don't have this set but am considering it.

What do you use as your TV guide?

Has the TV issues displaying 25hz? I've set my Nvidia shield to output 25hz to watch rugby on prime video (it's streaming at 25fps) but the TV info and freesync info shows the TV at 24...

20201122_160338.jpg

Edit: It's definitely smoother on the internal TV app.

Last edited:
Can the CX output Dolby Atmos via eArc to Arc on my Denon AVR?

I have tried Netflix and I get DV but not DA.

Carl.

Can the CX output Dolby Atmos via eArc to Arc on my Denon AVR?

I have tried Netflix and I get DV but not DA.

Carl.
Is your Denon eARC compatible? You need eARC compatibility at both ends of the cable. I have a Denon AVR-X2700 and Dolby Atmos works perfectly over eARC.

Playing Miles it looks brighter than valhalla on xbox all settings are the same
Just wondering if anyone else noticed
Also should TV hdr picture mode game
Thanks
There's going to be mileage on how different games present HDR, so comparing different games on different systems isn't the best idea.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom