LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Actually, yes burn in cover is specifically mentioned as you can see below in an extract from my policy. đź‘Ť

Cover for your product, for example, electronic appliances and/or household goods, against accidental damage.

What is insured?

immediate protection of your product from accidental damage (including TV screen burn)
unlimited repairs on your product (including call-outs, parts and labour), with no excess to pay
a replacement product (for example where we cannot repair it or we decide that it is uneconomical for us to repair your product)
a gift card for the full retail price of a replacement (if we cannot reasonably arrange a replacement)
delivery of your replacement product and replacement TV installation
should point out thats for the extra protect plus warranty that you pay ÂŁ140 for. The standard 5 year john lewis warranty doesnt cover screen burn

this tv is very very reflective i thought i would be fine as i watch in a room with doors shut and curtains drawn but can clearly see reflections from around the curtains

I wouldn't expect an oled to survive 7 years without screen issues tbh.

You'd be better off with an LCD if that's your intended upgrade time/path.
I thought screen burn is less of an issue than with older models? How many years should a Oled withstand without screen issues?

Actually, yes burn in cover is specifically mentioned as you can see below in an extract from my policy. đź‘Ť

Cover for your product, for example, electronic appliances and/or household goods, against accidental damage.

What is insured?

immediate protection of your product from accidental damage (including TV screen burn)
unlimited repairs on your product (including call-outs, parts and labour), with no excess to pay
a replacement product (for example where we cannot repair it or we decide that it is uneconomical for us to repair your product)
a gift card for the full retail price of a replacement (if we cannot reasonably arrange a replacement)

the standard 5 year warranty does not include screen burn protection.
you need to purchase additional cover to get that.

Anyone else have this super annoying rattling / vibrating sound, which is heard in the attached video, when using the internal TV speakers? If so, have you had it fixed without having to replace the TV?

don't suppose it's anything to do with the bike that is behind it?

My 55“ arrived today. Very impressed So far and a huge step from my old panny ex750 lcd. I’m wondering can anyone advise how best to set up the ub820 hdr optimiser to work well with the TVs dtm setting? thanks
I would turn off DTM on the TV for that source and just use the HDR optimiser on the player.

should point out thats for the extra protect plus warranty that you pay ÂŁ140 for. The standard 5 year john lewis warranty doesnt cover screen burn
Yes, i know but a couple of posters we were referring to the protect plus warranty earlier in this thread. 🤔

the standard 5 year warranty does not include screen burn protection.
you need to purchase additional cover to get that.
Correct, and that's why many have done so. đź‘Ť
I stand to be corrected but I think JL are the only dealer that offers that option of burn in protection.

I thought screen burn is less of an issue than with older models? How many years should a Oled withstand without screen issues?
It is. I may well be wrong, but it is worth bearing in mind!

Correct, and that's why many have done so. đź‘Ť
I stand to be corrected but I think JL are the only dealer that offers that option of burn in protection.

not sure why you were correcting my post then, when i was talking about the standard 5 year warranty.

It is. I may well be wrong, but it is worth bearing in mind!

It is something to keep in mind but there are also positive signals with these oleds. Hdtvtest and rtings both did tests concerning burn in and both were positive.

The expected life span can even be much higher than LED.

But since it's a fairly new tech we don't kno for sure, but it seems the issues with burnin are overcalled.

For me it's the VRR gamma issues thats holding me back but i guess it's the same as with the burn in. Overcalled and probably not something i would notice quickly.

It is something to keep in mind but there are also positive signals with these oleds. Hdtvtest and rtings both did tests concerning burn in and both were positive.

The expected life span can even be much higher than LED.

But since it's a fairly new tech we don't kno for sure, but it seems the issues with burnin are overcalled.

For me it's the VRR gamma issues thats holding me back but i guess it's the same as with the burn in. Overcalled and probably not something i would notice quickly.
In my opinion, and experience, OLEDs biggest issue isn't screen burn, it’s screen uniformity, specifically vertical banding.
My old C7 had very faint banding from new until it ran it’s 6th or 7th 1 hour pixel refresh during its third year. Out of nowhere it developed severe banding that I could see easily every day.
I could have gone on using it until it was 7 years old, but it wouldn’t have been a pleasant experience.
I can avoid burn in with careful use, but I can do nothing to prevent bands appearing. I hope my CX won’t develop them, but it’s clear from the posts here that the problem still exists on far too many TVs.

What is insured?

One bad thing I did notice is when I was purchasing the JL insurance over the phone she told me specifically if the TV falls off the wall it's not covered.

This is not what you want to hear when you are about to wall mount a 15KG TV on a plasterboard wall :laugh:

I understand it though from both sides of the coin, still sucks in the old days they use to 'investigate' if it was genuine or done on purpose and even then it was often deemed done on purpose simply to avoid pay out no doubt.

Either way I sleep better knowing burn in is covered that is until my precious OLED falls off the wall
@ 4am on Sunday morning waking up the entire street.

Last edited:
Anyone else have this super annoying rattling / vibrating sound, which is heard in the attached video, when using the internal TV speakers? If so, have you had it fixed without having to replace the TV?

If memory recalls a few months ago on this thread someone else had a similar if not same problem with the speaker causing a vibrating issue like yours, it was a fault of the TV, and he got it replaced.

I would still double-check the tv stand unit is correctly slotted and the screws are in the threads properly and not lose and its not the Tv desk/table or anything under or around it causing it to vibrate. Looks like you have lots of films and amps etc on it maybe try it on a separate table or desk.

If the tv falls off the wall that's accidental damage and not really JL or LG's responsibility. Your household insurance needs to cover that.

One bad thing I did notice is when I was purchasing the JL insurance over the phone she told me specifically if the TV falls off the wall it's not covered.

This is not what you want to hear when you are about to wall mount a 15KG TV on a plasterboard wall :laugh:

I understand it though from both sides of the coin, still sucks in the old days they use to 'investigate' if it was genuine or done on purpose and even then it was often deemed done on purpose simply to avoid pay out no doubt.

Either way I sleep better knowing burn in is covered that is until my precious OLED falls off the wall
@ 4am on Sunday morning waking up the entire street.

suppose it depends why it fell off the wall.
if it fell off because the mounting holes on the TV failed then that should be covered, as it's a TV failure.

if it's because you mounted the bracket using blutak, then no soup for you!

If memory recalls a few months ago on this thread someone else had a similar if not same problem with the speaker causing a vibrating issue like yours, it was a fault of the TV, and he got it replaced.

I would still double-check the tv stand unit is correctly slotted and the screws are in the threads properly and not lose and its not the Tv desk/table or anything under or around it causing it to vibrate. Looks like you have lots of films and amps etc on it maybe try it on a separate table or desk.
Thanks fore Your reply.
The stand is perfectly slotted and the crews are in tight.
When I press my fingers against the speaker grille on the underside of the TV, the noise disappears. The screen itself is without faults so it would be a shame to change.

Thanks fore Your reply.
The stand is perfectly slotted and the crews are in tight.
When I press my fingers against the speaker grille on the underside of the TV, the noise disappears. The screen itself is without faults so it would be a shame to change.

I think that is what the other guy did pressed the bezel down to stop it. Is it brand new and within the return period or after 30 days ?

If its after 30 days, got nothing to lose than to report the speaker fault and if the engineer is good he just comes out with a new replacement speaker unit but I would stress out the point only the speaker unit needs repairing/replacement since the screen has no banding and good quality.

If its brand-new retailers follow their programming and thinking outside the box is like a fish painting a cat.

Any IPTV users on here or is that a banned subject of discussion? I cant find the IPTV Smarters app in the latest app store, but weirdly, it's available on my old LG B6

I don't use it, but I'm sure I saw it in the lg store the other day

Had my first experience or raised/flashing Blacks on the TV.

A good scene for it is in the movie "Black Box" on prime video. Minute 15 onwards. I lowered brightness to 49 and it fixed it. Not leaving my brightness at 49 though as that will cause more issues in general viewing than it fixes in near black scenes.

Can calibration fix this also?

Edit: Just to say this was HDR and not Dolby Vision.

Had my first experience or raised/flashing Blacks on the TV.

A good scene for it is in the movie "Black Box" on prime video. Minute 15 onwards. I lowered brightness to 49 and it fixed it. Not leaving my brightness at 49 though as that will cause more issues in general viewing than it fixes in near black scenes.

Can calibration fix this also?

Edit: Just to say this was HDR and not Dolby Vision.

There is a firmware that is supposed to fix raised blacks, unfortunately not available to public yet, but hopefully soon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom