LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

That's not even close to accurate. For movies and some streaming shows yes but boadcast is still SD/HD apart from a few niche services.

Also, my statement said being produced. I don't think many content creators are filming in 480p or 720p in 2020. They're filming on much higher resolution cameras. For example, BBC iplayer offers the fuller visual fidelity experience of the programs they produce.

Sadly TV broadcasting is way behind the times.

Yes, so if you watch Broadcast TV, by a 1080p plasma.

People also buy £1000 iphones and then just use them for whatsapp and to make phone calls. They could've made do with a £300 or £400 quid phone from 2 years ago. Buying a 4K HDR TV and using it to watch 480p/720p broadcast TV is akin to that. They're buying something much more expensive when a cheaper option will likely do a better job and provide better value.

I know we all want perfect crisp picture and 480 and 720p content to look like its native 4K but we also need to be realistic and understand technoloical limitations rather than just using it as a stick to batter TVs with.

TV manufacturers will always move forwards with the time and match their specs to the bleeding edge tech which make them the most money. I don't like it, but its how the business works. (FYI I love 3D and its gone).

I think you are missing the mark here a bit. The point of having a TV is for mixed viewing. A tiny minority of people will buy a TV for just 4K HDR content. They will want yo avail of watching 4K HDR content but or exclusively.

You are certainly an outlier and not a typical example of a TV owner if you only consume a single resolution on your TV.

I think you are missing the mark here a bit. The point of having a TV is for mixed viewing. A tiny minority of people will buy a TV for just 4K HDR content. They will want yo avail of watching 4K HDR content but or exclusively.

You are certainly an outlier and not a typical example of a TV owner if you only consume a single resolution on your TV.

I'm not missing the mark.

I get it, you want the TV to deal well with 480/720p content but there is a technological limitation which you seem to not be recognising but instead using it as a stick to batter the TVs with. Upscaling 480/720p content gets progressively more difficult and basically impossible as the resolution increases.

I get that my personal circumstance is different but my personal circumstance is irrealavant to the technological limitations of moving up resolution of panel.

In an ideal world, they'd still produce 1080p OLEDs and LCD/LED TVs but it wouldn't be profitable for them as most people will buy the shiny 4K badge, and they'd want users to keep upgrading to trick them into a never ending cycle of upgrades.

Thats why the recent Samsung 8K TVs are a joke for nearly every single person who will use them.

I'm not missing the mark.

I get it, you want the TV to deal well with 480/720p content but there is a technological limitation which you seem to not be recognising but instead using it as a stick to batter the TVs with. Upscaling 480/720p content gets progressively more difficult and basically impossible as the resolution increases.

I get that my personal circumstance is different but my personal circumstance is irrealavant to the technological limitations of moving up resolution of panel.

In an ideal world, they'd still produce 1080p OLEDs and LCD/LED TVs but it wouldn't be profitable for them as most people will buy the shiny 4K badge, and they'd want users to keep upgrading to trick them into a never ending cycle of upgrades.

Thats why the recent Samsung 8K TVs are a joke for nearly every single person who will use them.

I'm not using anything as a stick to beat the TV. I'm just going on some reports of users here reporting poor performance that is not seen on other sets (especially at this price point). The reports are more to do with near black performance than upscaling.

I've had a 4k TV for the past 6 years and the upscaling performs brilliantly on a 65 inch set from 7 feet away.

Anyway it seems we won't agree with each other on this point so it's a circular argument.

I'm not using anything as a stick to beat the TV. I'm just going on some reports of users here reporting poor performance that is not seen on other sets (especially at this price point). The reports are more to do with near black performance than upscaling.

I've had a 4k TV for the past 6 years and the upscaling performs brilliantly on a 65 inch set from 7 feet away.

Anyway it seems we won't agree with each other on this point so it's a circular argument.

Which 4K TVs have you had which have had brilliant upscaling out of interest?

I've had Samsung, Panasonic and now LG 4K TVs and they were all around about the same in terms of dealing with broadcast material (aka not very good) compared to the trust Samsung plasma. Quite interested if there is some TVs out there which are brilliant at it.

Which 4K TVs have you had which have had brilliant upscaling out of interest?

I've had Samsung, Panasonic and now LG 4K TVs and they were all around about the same in terms of dealing with broadcast material (aka not very good) compared to the trust Samsung plasma. Quite interested if there is some TVs out there which are brilliant at it.

Samsung HU8500 with the SEK-3500 one connect box.

Initially it had serious issues with stutter on broadcast material but over time firmware updates seemed to have improved things along with the improved hardware in the sek-3500 evolution kit.

Initially it had serious issues with stutter on broadcast material but over time firmware updates seemed to have improved things along with the improved hardware in the sek-3500 evolution kit.

I've never found Samsung's upscaling extraordinary TBH so maybe different tastes for different people. And I don't see it far away or really anything much different to LGs current offerings.

The best I've seen is Sony and Panasonic with Panasonic having the edge.

Near black is just an issue for OLEDs. Its the achilles heel and the weakness of the technology. Part of the issue is uniformity, part of the issue is that lower bitrate sources lack a lot of data in the darker scenes (its why the GOT broadcast scenes fall apart but the Blu Rays are pristine in darker scenes). On a TV which is crapper in contrast and ability to deal with these darker scenes like an LCD panel, these scenes generally don't stick out like a sore thumb because the human eye becomes accustomed to the poor handling of black and picture quality. So although the dark scenes look crap on them, they're unfiorm.

I had this phenomenon with my projectors. Its not that their near-black handling is especially good, its that they're basically just not ever properly at the colour black, so everythings in easy mode for them. Simiarly for the Samsung TV in my upstairs bedroom.. near black handling is okay on the TV... but thats only because it basically can't even begin to approach what an OLED can try to interpret from the data presented to it from a picture. Its easy to do near black handling when you're not having to actually do the colour black but only ever dark grey.

Add that to the inherent tech limitation of OLED which should be mild banding on 5% grey slide (not the utter crap that 3 of us 77'' OLED users have been given).. and thats kind of part of the answer.

Now this banding is the same tech flaw as an LCD has for light bleed, DSE, LCD banding.. so again, although LG should QA and not have terrible banding on their TVs, its not something they can completely eliminate (and trust me.. I'm one of 3 people on this thread who should be crying from the rooftops about banding but I like to stay fair).

Can LG do more? Sure. But I think everyone can do more with these sources. I think Sony and Panasonic lead the pack but honestly, NO ONE is going to advertise these TVs with 480/720p content and even TV reviewers seldom spend more than 60 seconds talking about it.. because the findings are consistent with thats happened ever since 4K was first introduced.

Not trying to be a knob on the thread.. but a lot of the issues people are encountering have pretty clear explanations, but at the same time some of these issues don't have good enough explanations (the banding, the lack of DTS, the floating blacks in dolby vision mode).

Thanks a lot! Not sure what am doing wrong then. Do you simply use the Dolby Vision preset that Netflix sets or do you use custom settings?

Edit: sth just occurred to me. I haven't turned ultra deep colour on for all HDMI ports. Not sure that matters in the case of Netflix? I know it's automatically turned on for game consoles.
It just occurred me that the issues you’re seeing might be a result of the floating blacks bug that @kenshingintoki mentioned above.
Try dropping brightness a couple of clicks for Dolby Vision only, not everywhere. 48 works on mine. No guarantees, but it’s worth checking.

My main point earlier on in the thread was that if you're watching SDR content mostly, go with a TV suited towards that.

A 4K HDR OLED is simply not geared up to playing SDR content well. Sure LG, Panasonic, Sony and everyone else can try to make it look less awful, but its not getting away from the fact that it won't look as good as a native panel.

The divergence from native resolution is neccesary because most content being produced now is 4K and HDR.

Picture processing power wise, you get what you pay for. If you want more picture processing power, buy an external video processor. A MADVR PC will cost you £1000-£2000, or a Lumagen I believe is quite good but expensive too. Its sadly just very costly to upscale and video process properly.

Cheaper LED/LCDs are not doing some miracle job with lower bitrate content, nor packing huge video processors which the higher end TVs aren't.
All these comments about the scaling of the CX is correct i have the lumagen radiance pro in the chain the results are staggering especially with filmmaker mode. Especially with sky hd 1080i lumagen scaling 4k makes a huge difference with the CX. With the tv scaling when taking the lumagen out the chain with standard def it looks average at best especially with poor content i need the lumagen for that

All these comments about the scaling of the CX is correct i have the lumagen radiance pro in the chain the results are staggering especially with filmmaker mode. Especially with sky hd 1080i lumagen scaling 4k makes a huge difference with the CX. With the tv scaling when taking the lumagen out the chain with standard def it looks average at best especially with poor content i need the lumagen for that

Yup. Quality video processing power is simply expensive.

Maybe LG should box up a Lumagen processor with every TV for free (lol).

If NVIDIA ever afford to, I think their AI upscaling could be really good as a cheaper solution but they've restricted it heavily, not sure why exactly.

Has anyone else noticed a change for the worse in the CX Youtube app?

Previously I used to press the centre scroll button to pause a video or reinstate the remote pointer on screen, but now if you press the remote centre button the video advances by 10 seconds, and you now have to press the tiny pause and play buttons on the remote.

Found others complaining here...

Last edited:
Yup. Quality video processing power is simply expensive.

Maybe LG should box up a Lumagen processor with every TV for free (lol).

If NVIDIA ever afford to, I think their AI upscaling could be really good as a cheaper solution but they've restricted it heavily, not sure why exactly.
Each person has there own preference i personally always had the lumagen in the chain tv or projector next. I could of easily not upgrade the pro and bought the CX 77inch with my budget. I rather have the quality combination smaller display with the pro for performance scaling and calibration. I get a lot of punters can't afford both. It's certainly an option if affordable.

Each person has there own preference i personally always had the lumagen in the chain tv or projector next. I could of easily not upgrade the pro and bought the CX 77inch with my budget. I rather have the quality combination smaller display with the pro for performance scaling and calibration. I get a lot of punters can't afford both. It's certainly an option if affordable.

Ahh deep down I think 77'' is too small so I can't begin to imagine downgrading to a lower screen size.

Once HDMI 2.1 dust has settled, I'm going to likely invest a little chunk of cash into my processors (audio and visual). I know my Arendals aren't getting the quality they should be getting with my denon.

Has anyone else noticed a change for the worse in the CX Youtube app?

Previously I used to press the centre scroll button to pause a video or reinstate the remote pointer on screen, but now if you press the remote centre button the video advances by 10 seconds, and you now have to press the tiny pause and play buttons on the remote.

Found others complaining here...

Yeah, that’s incredibly annoying isn’t it. Nearly as annoying as the mid video adverts.
I hadn’t noticed it before because I tend to only watch short YouTube videos, so not much need to pause usually.
Edit, it doesn’t jump if you bring up the progress bar before pausing.

Could anyone just confirm that this stand below will fit the 55CX?

BONTEC Universal Table Top Pedestal TV Stand with Bracket for 26”-55” LCD/LED/Plasma TVs-Height Adjustable TV stand with 8mm Tempered Glass Base & Cable Management-Holds 40 KG & Max.VESA 400x400mm Amazon product ASIN B075FN4GH5

Could anyone just confirm that this stand below will fit the 55CX?

BONTEC Universal Table Top Pedestal TV Stand with Bracket for 26”-55” LCD/LED/Plasma TVs-Height Adjustable TV stand with 8mm Tempered Glass Base & Cable Management-Holds 40 KG & Max.VESA 400x400mm Amazon product ASIN B075FN4GH5

I'm 99% certain that will be fine. Just check that the VESA specification fits with the product description.

I have the HU9000 the curved version of the HU8500. That TV is a good one still. It does have great upscale for old content. I wasn’t happy really with the overal picture of the CX until I said screw it and just did my own settings. Now I absolutely love the CX. I would encourage you to throw caution to the wind and just set a picture you are happy with. My picture basically came out looking like Vibrant mode with better colors. It’s what I needed to punch above the HU9000 picture. Good luck 👍🏼

I have the HU9000 the curved version of the HU8500. That TV is a good one still. It does have great upscale for old content. I wasn’t happy really with the overal picture of the CX until I said screw it and just did my own settings. Now I absolutely love the CX. I would encourage you to throw caution to the wind and just set a picture you are happy with. My picture basically came out looking like Vibrant mode with better colors. It’s what I needed to punch above the HU9000 picture. Good luck 👍🏼

I haven't bought the CX yet. I'm thinking of going with the 77" version as soon as there is a decent price drop.

How does your CX compare to the HU9000? Is it worth the massive price upgrade? We actually have the same TV. The HU8500 is the European version of the HU9000.

I haven't bought the CX yet. I'm thinking of going with the 77" version as soon as there is a decent price drop.

How does your CX compare to the HU9000? Is it worth the massive price upgrade? We actually have the same TV. The HU8500 is the European version of the HU9000.
Yes it is worth the upgrade. Most people don’t understand how good a picture that line of Samsung TV produced. I had a Plasma before that one and it was the first TV that made me upgrade from plasma. So it was a good picture. I got the 65” CX. It’s basically the picture of the HU9000 but brighter, more punchy and with better motion. Blacks are OLeD dark but the HU series has great black levels too. It’s a distinct upgrade in every way. Playing games was good on the HU series. This TV was made for gamers. It’s so damn good. I wish it had 3D. The HU series and that 4K 3D Is mind blowing. 1080p per eye 60HZ 3D. Otherwise the TV will impress you everyday you own it.

Yes it is worth the upgrade. Most people don’t understand how good a picture that line of Samsung TV produced. I had a Plasma before that one and it was the first TV that made me upgrade from plasma. So it was a good picture. I got the 65” CX. It’s basically the picture of the HU9000 but brighter, more punchy and with better motion. Blacks are OLeD dark but the HU series has great black levels too. It’s a distinct upgrade in every way. Playing games was good on the HU series. This TV was made for gamers. It’s so damn good. I wish it had 3D. The HU series and that 4K 3D Is mind blowing. 1080p per eye 60HZ 3D. Otherwise the TV will impress you everyday you own it.

Yeah the Samsung just has great picture quality. Now in saying that, the only reason I ended up with the HU8500 was because I had originally purchased the HU7500 and had to return 3 of them due to terrible vertical banding on all 3 sets (visible on all content especially panning shots). As a gesture Samsung Ireland gave me a free upgrade to the HU8500. So whilst their quality control for the HU7500 was piss poor, they came good in the end for a customer.

I've the itchy feet for an upgrade and have looked at various options such as the Sony XH90 or one of the Samsung QLED lineups but from seeing reviews they just don't seem like enough of an upgrade (apart from proper HDR support). In fact it seems blooming is often worse on these FALD displays than my humble edge light Samsung. Manufacturers are cheaping out on dimming zones and consumers are letting them away with it. Samsung's 2020 range is worse than their 2019 range as they have downgraded all their 4K sets in favour of pushing their 8K sets.

So that leaves me with OLED. A couple of concerns I have with the CX are poor quality panels and bad near black performance. On the quality control front, many have reported very poor panels especially on the 77" sets. I don't want to have to go through the merry-go-round with returning and proving something is wrong and having to explain basic TV issues to staff members at both retailers and manufacturers! If I pay €5,000 for a TV I want my moneys worth.

Yeah the Samsung just has great picture quality. Now in saying that, the only reason I ended up with the HU8500 was because I had originally purchased the HU7500 and had to return 3 of them due to terrible vertical banding on all 3 sets (visible on all content especially panning shots). As a gesture Samsung Ireland gave me a free upgrade to the HU8500. So whilst their quality control for the HU7500 was piss poor, they came good in the end for a customer.

I've the itchy feet for an upgrade and have looked at various options such as the Sony XH90 or one of the Samsung QLED lineups but from seeing reviews they just don't seem like enough of an upgrade (apart from proper HDR support). In fact it seems blooming is often worse on these FALD displays than my humble edge light Samsung. Manufacturers are cheaping out on dimming zones and consumers are letting them away with it. Samsung's 2020 range is worse than their 2019 range as they have downgraded all their 4K sets in favour of pushing their 8K sets.

So that leaves me with OLED. A couple of concerns I have with the CX are poor quality panels and bad near black performance. On the quality control front, many have reported very poor panels especially on the 77" sets. I don't want to have to go through the merry-go-round with returning and proving something is wrong and having to explain basic TV issues to staff members at both retailers and manufacturers! If I pay €5,000 for a TV I want my moneys worth.
Well my 65” has zero black issues. It’s ink black in the dark. I got a great panel. Lucky I guess. I was told my HU9000 is killer for uniformity. I don’t spend anytime looking for issues with my panel. I did a quick one over for dead pixels but didn’t find any. We all know the panel game. That’s any tv. Sony tv Are good too so you Know it’s going to be a good purchase. I would say if you want that punch the contrast of an OLeD gives you there is only one way to get it. If you want that high brightness that LCD can give you the Sony are best this year. I went with contrast of blacks vs brights . Which ever you get I actually think you be happy this year. Both LG and Sony are getting great reviews this year.

My CX keeps powering on by itself during the night. I come down in the morning to find it scrolling through the painting screensavers with a lovely ‘No Signal Input’ message floating around the screen. Despite these images changing and the position of the message moving around, I bet they’re still not doing much good in terms of screen burn.

Anyone know anything about this? I’m assuming it must be a known issue With the CX. My old C7 never used to do it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom