LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

You are in a minority. Anime is easier going - except the old stuff with jaggies and colour bands etc, when not intentional!
For the money and top tier status, people expect these to be general user great and to mask/better older contents foibles instead of highlight them. It's understandable.

I get it. I just think its a limitation of using a 4k panel over a 1080p panel. There is only so much image processing can do, and in my experience, even the best in class image processing (without a dedicated video processing box) still looks fairly pants.

This IMO is not an LG specific issue. Its an tech issue. I've seen LG, Panasonic and Sony and I personally think that although some are better than others, none are really mindblowing with low bitrate content compared to my Samsung plasma.

I have similar experience with 1080p video games. Sadly they just look pants on a 4k screen compared to a 1080p screen. The only software magic I'm aware of is integer scaling for video games which helps substantially.

People can save A LOT of money by going with a native panel which suits the majority of their content rather than the panel which reads as having the best specs on paper.

For the average person watching BBC news and Eastenders everyday via their aerial, a 4K HDR anything is a waste of cash. If they only watch the rare HDR film, they'd be better off sacrificing that and enjoying the majority of their content in the best way possible IMO.

FYI I used to think native panel resolution being preferably was partly a myth or people being OCD.

However I bought a PSVita, tried to play a PSP game on it and it looked disgusting. Played the same game on PSP, and it was beautiful and crisp.

I get it. I just think its a limitation of using a 4k panel over a 1080p panel. There is only so much image processing can do, and in my experience, even the best in class image processing (without a dedicated video processing box) still looks fairly pants.

This IMO is not an LG specific issue. Its an tech issue. I've seen LG, Panasonic and Sony and I personally think that although some are better than others, none are really mindblowing with low bitrate content compared to my Samsung plasma.

I have similar experience with 1080p video games. Sadly they just look pants on a 4k screen compared to a 1080p screen. The only software magic I'm aware of is integer scaling for video games which helps substantially.

People can save A LOT of money by going with a native panel which suits the majority of their content rather than the panel which reads as having the best specs on paper.

For the average person watching BBC news and Eastenders everyday via their aerial, a 4K HDR anything is a waste of cash. If they only watch the rare HDR film, they'd be better off sacrificing that and enjoying the majority of their content in the best way possible IMO.

I have to disagree with you on this one. 4K sets are well capable of upscaling and have done so successfully for years.

I checked that scene on my iPhone, perfect!;);)

This is just the usual we get every year mate, some people take offence when you ask simple questions about uniformity, trying to defend their purchase or something I dunno? brand loyalty..? 🤷‍♂️
To me it's all interesting stuff about tv's. picture, processing, build of the tv etc the tech I love as a hobby, puzzles me people get so offended by it.

"don't go looking for problems" "I just enjoy it"..
well If I spend 5k+ I want to know what uniformity is like, I'd like to know how clean the panel is.. If it's not good, replace or get a refund as it affects my viewing pleasure.
LG shouldn't get away with putting out crap then people just lapping it up.
Sony OLED makes a much better job of the exact same low bit rate stuff so why can't the LG? It's a simple question.
Yes it's a crappy bit rate... But LG handles it way worse by the looks of it and going by previous years experience.

Now.. where is that Lucky Goldstar 77 GX I want :smoke:

I have to disagree with you on this one. 4K sets are well capable of upscaling and have done so successfully for years.

Maybe we have different standards for good upscaling. I'm yet to see a 4K native panel displaying 720p content which I feel is pleasing to the eye.

1080p I think is no problem, espectially 1080p blurays (they've looked fantastic on Sony/Panasonic/LG IMO).

This is just the usual we get every year mate, some people take offence when you ask simple questions about uniformity, trying to defend their purchase or something I dunno? brand loyalty..? 🤷‍♂️
To me it's all interesting stuff about tv's. picture, processing, build of the tv etc the tech I love as a hobby, puzzles me people get so offended by it.

well If I spend 5k+ I want to know what uniformity is like, I'd like to know how clean the panel is.. If it's not good, replace or get a refund as it affects my viewing pleasure.
Sony OLED makes a much better job of the exact same low bit rate stuff so why can't the LG? It's a simple question.
Yes it's a crappy bit rate... But LG handles it way worse by the looks of it and going by previous years experience.

Exactly. I went through the same thing 6 years ago when I purchased my 65 inch Samsung. People don't want to admit there are issues. WiFi issues, TV crashing etc.

I read the same placebo science excuses then too. Firmware this firmware that. Simple fact is manufacturers put out garbage because we don't complain enough. Simple as that. I had to upgrade to the sek-3500 one connect box to notice some issues being resolved. This means Samsung released the original TV with hardware that was not capable of running the TV appropriately.

I can excuse shortcomings on lower end cheap sets but not ones you are paying thousands for.

Unfortunately mate, it's like when some people buy expensive audio equipment and expect it not to reveal flaws in the original they were previously unaware of. However, some brands/tech's handle it better or, rather mask those flaws.
But when you can buy a relatively inexpensive Shield or (Huk Tu!) Apple box and improve on an LG TV's offerings, summinks up Guv!

I don't think anyones trying to dress up the CX, GX (or any TV) as perfect. I can't think of a perfect TV in recent memory.

Awful panel lottery and uniformity issues, no DTS, floating black issue in dolby vision, BFI not as good as Panny's/Sony's, etc. Its just simply much better than some awful LCD.

I can similarly list a bunch of flaws for every single other TV available from the awful sorry excuse for Samsung TVs, to the HDMI 2.1-less Sony TVs with no refresh this year to even the god-tier Panasonic HZ2000 series which lacks HDMI 2.1 and doesn't come in a 77 inch size.

Although we are paying a lot of money for our TVs, people need to always remember we are not buying reference monitors which cost a hell of a lot more.

Unfortunately mate, it's like when some people buy expensive audio equipment and expect it not to reveal flaws in the original they were previously unaware of. However, some brands/tech's handle it better or, rather mask those flaws.
But when you can buy a relatively inexpensive Shield or (Huk Tu!) Apple box and improve on an LG TV's offerings, summinks up Guv!

I agree with this. Everytime, I do an audio upgrade, my heart sinks on a track or two where they're mastered not-as-good as I thought they were and have flaws which I can now sadly hear a little too well.

My Sky Q box upscales all 1080p content for me anyway. A damn fine job it does too!

My Sky Q box upscales all 1080p content for me anyway. A damn fine job it does too!
Sky Q HD stuff is 1080i, and your TV will do better job deinterlacing than the Sky box, but it's a pain switching back and forth depending on the content,

Sky Q HD stuff is 1080i, and your TV will do better job deinterlacing than the Sky box, but it's a pain switching back and forth depending on the content,
I’m sure you’re correct but Tbh, I downgraded my subscription briefly to 1080 a few years ago & let my Samsung do the scaling. If there was a difference I didn’t notice.

Pretty good review, only thing I did not like about the CX oled was he said in Pc dedicated mode the auto brightness can't be switched off but he was unsure if it occurs during full screen on Pc dedicated mode. Does anyone know if the screen goes off auto in pc mode ?

I would have put that on an articulating wall mount rather than on the desk.

48'' CX and Samsung 49'' CRG9 are the kings of gaming monitors IMO.

I'd probably edge towards CX though.. and if people can work thei viewing distance, maybe 55'' would be a good shout. I'm using a 77'' for PC gaming from 2.8M or so.. and its excellent but I could do with another 10 inches.

interesting Vincent did a video today on plasma vs 4k OLED and spoke about the upscaling features of standard def content and noted the plasma superior :D

1080p/4k fine on the oleds tho.

interesting Vincent did a video today on plasma vs 4k OLED and spoke about the upscaling features of standard def content and noted the plasma superior :D

Yeah I seen that.. That plasma 5% slide is what dreams are made of :rotfl:

Without having seen the video yet would the case not be that it's not whether a plasma or OLED can upscale better but rather the fact that the plasma is a 1080p set and requires less upscaling than the OLED?

Without having seen the video yet would the case not be that it's not whether a plasma or OLED can upscale better but rather the fact that the plasma is a 1080p set and requires less upscaling than the OLED?
This is the correct answer

Yes and no.

Upscaling has its limitations. It becomes progressively more difficult to upscale an image the farther away you get from its native resolution.

Similarly it helps if a resolution is an integrer of the resolution its being upscaled to. For example, 1080p is an integer of 4K so it upscales very nicely.

So yes, one device upscales less because it requires less. But its not as simple as saying 'the 4K set should just upscale more then!!11!"

The conclusion and bottom line doesn't change; in that a 4K panel is not going to upscale content as well as a 1080p one generally without some crazy awesome video processing power (which would cost a big big chunk of money). For reference my £2000 gaming PC just about video processes some less than pretty 720p content I have to an acceptable visual fidelity, and even then IMO the difference isn't exactly night and day.

Those that state they own 4K panels which are doing so, IMO have magical 4K panels or rose tinted glasses. Or maybe they do :)

Should have had a Sony Oled as comparison

I personally rate Sony and Panasonic as the two best at picture processing, upscaling and motion. With Panny having the edge with video, and Sony having the edge with motion.

Of course we now go into the Sony fanboy terrirtory of Sony's are able to make 240p content look like 8K which I don't want to get into too much.

Yes and no.

Upscaling has its limitations. It becomes progressively more difficult to upscale an image the farther away you get from its native resolution.

Similarly it helps if a resolution is an integrer of the resolution its being upscaled to. For example, 1080p is an integer of 4K so it upscales very nicely.

So yes, one device upscales less because it requires less. But its not as simple as saying 'the 4K set should just upscale more then!!11!"

The conclusion and bottom line doesn't change; in that a 4K panel is not going to upscale content as well as a 1080p one generally without some crazy awesome video processing power (which would cost a big big chunk of money).

So Yes....

I don't think it's any major shock that the further you get from native resolution you are going to struggle.

My point is it is nothing to do with plasma vs LCD vs OLED. It's a combination of divergence from native resolution plus processing ability.

Since most large screens nowadays are 4K the point is moot. If you want a high quality top end TV you must go with 4K.

So Yes....

I don't think it's any major shock that the further you get from native resolution you are going to struggle.

My point is it is nothing to do with plasma vs LCD vs OLED. It's a combination of divergence from native resolution plus processing ability.

Since most large screens nowadays are 4K the point is moot. If you want a high quality top end TV you must go with 4K.

My main point earlier on in the thread was that if you're watching SDR content mostly, go with a TV suited towards that.

A 4K HDR OLED is simply not geared up to playing SDR content well. Sure LG, Panasonic, Sony and everyone else can try to make it look less awful, but its not getting away from the fact that it won't look as good as a native panel.

The divergence from native resolution is neccesary because most content being produced now is 4K and HDR.

Picture processing power wise, you get what you pay for. If you want more picture processing power, buy an external video processor. A MADVR PC will cost you £1000-£2000, or a Lumagen I believe is quite good but expensive too. Its sadly just very costly to upscale and video process properly.

Cheaper LED/LCDs are not doing some miracle job with lower bitrate content, nor packing huge video processors which the higher end TVs aren't.

The divergence from native resolution is neccesary because most content being produced now is 4K and HDR.

That's not even close to accurate. For movies and some streaming shows yes but boadcast is still SD/HD apart from a few niche services.

That's not even close to accurate. For movies and some streaming shows yes but boadcast is still SD/HD apart from a few niche services.

Yes, so if you watch Broadcast TV, by a 1080p plasma.

People also buy £1000 iphones and then just use them for whatsapp and to make phone calls. They could've made do with a £300 or £400 quid phone from 2 years ago. Buying a 4K HDR TV and using it to watch 480p/720p broadcast TV is akin to that. They're buying something much more expensive when a cheaper option will likely do a better job and provide better value.

I know we all want perfect crisp picture and 480 and 720p content to look like its native 4K but we also need to be realistic and understand technoloical limitations rather than just using it as a stick to batter TVs with.

TV manufacturers will always move forwards with the time and match their specs to the bleeding edge tech which make them the most money. I don't like it, but its how the business works. (FYI I love 3D and its gone).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom