LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Would there be any situation where this isn't simply settings based and could be a hardware issue? I'm wondering if that is what Curtis is inquiring about. I have witnessed similar phenomenon on high quality blu-rays and 4K UHD discs using stock Filmmaker or Dolby Vision Cinema modes. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just present on streaming or cable sources.
I would also like to understand this a bit better. Really hoping that posterisation is not an actual hardware issue.

Well whatever, :smashin: I was just replying to the other guy not to worry and just enjoy, I've not had any of the issues on my CX.
Yeah you’re 100% correct. There are no issues with the CX as far as I’m concerned. I was trying to point out the issues with that particular programme on any TV. Unfortunately the conversation got a bit out of hand, became misleading and off topic.
To summarize, the CX can’t make garbage bit rate look good. I don’t expect it too.
To repeat, there is no problem with the CX. Feed it a decent source and it is simply outstanding.

Cheers Gunner! Didn’t you used to be in the old Samsung KS or JS thread?
I had a KS7000 I believe it was for about 3 weeks, but it had connection issues and build quality seemed poor so returned it and got a B6 and now the CX.

Yeah you’re 100% correct. There are no issues with the CX as far as I’m concerned. I was trying to point out the issues with that particular programme on any TV. Unfortunately the conversation got a bit out of hand, became misleading and off topic.
To summarize, the CX can’t make garbage bit rate look good. I don’t expect it too.
To repeat, there is no problem with the CX. Feed it a decent source and it is simply outstanding.
Can you comment on Marco Polo S1E2, S1E3 around the 14-minute mark, please?

I just want to make sure posterisation is not some hardware defect.

Thanks a lot

To be fair, there is an important aspect to this. Most TV’s of this caliber and price bracket will look good if it’s fed good content.

The question in my mind is can the CX cope with poorer content? Lower bitrate?

Can you comment on Marco Polo S1E2, S1E3 around the 14-minute mark, please?

I just want to make sure posterisation is not some hardware defect.

Thanks a lot
Blacked out the room just for you.:)
Both episodes have zero posterisation at 14 minutes.

Blacked out the room just for you.:)
Both episodes have zero posterisation at 14 minutes.
Thanks a lot! Not sure what am doing wrong then. Do you simply use the Dolby Vision preset that Netflix sets or do you use custom settings?

Edit: sth just occurred to me. I haven't turned ultra deep colour on for all HDMI ports. Not sure that matters in the case of Netflix? I know it's automatically turned on for game consoles.

Last edited:
I don't know how high expectations can be for TVs to deal with low bitrate sources.
Its definitely not for me a selling point for a 4K HDR OLED TV.
If people's priorities are low bitrate sources, Plasma and 1080p panels deal with them much better.

Thanks a lot! Not sure what am doing wrong then. Do you simply use the Dolby Vision preset that Netflix sets or do you use custom settings?

Edit: sth just occurred to me. I haven't turned ultra deep colour on for all HDMI ports. Not sure that matters in the case of Netflix? I know it's automatically turned on for game consoles.
Cinema or Cinema home at default settings. No changes needed.

I don't know how high expectations can be for TVs to deal with low bitrate sources.
If people's priorities are low bitrate sources, Plasma and 1080p panels deal with them much better.

I completely disagree, that’s an easy cop out. Of course Plasma and 1080p panels deal with it better but that’s not the point.

The majority of content being watched by the public is not 4K. The TV has to be able to deal with poorer content and for me it can be a differentiator between different 4K sets. You don’t buy a 4K TV just to watch 4K content, well 99% of the world doesn’t.

99% of the potential buying population in this country don’t have 4K Blu Ray players and only watch DV/HLG or HDR+ and watching Eastenders or BBC News or whatever is still a huge chunk of people’s or their spouses/family viewing.

I have a week old 55” from JL. 2-3 times in the last week the TV has turned itself off. I have gone through all the settings and turned off all timers including ‘4 hour auto power off’, ‘auto power off’ and ‘sleep timers’. The TV still turns off.

Anyone had a similar problem? Would a factory reset help?

People read reviews of how well these handle lower resolution material, buy them and then think, what the fudge? Some reviewers really need to still make clear, for a 4K TV in their assessment; that they can't magic in detail where it doesn't exist and will more often highlight this as they blow up the image to fit - Samsung's QLED with machine learning being the attempted exception.
This point will continue to get dragged up years on, as prior content and so much being shot is still 1080p/i and less.

I bought a Nvidia Shield Pro to see if it's AI upscaling enhancer can improve things and it certainly looks noticeably better for some content. But that has the caveats of obviously only working if you feed it into a 4K port to upscale 1080 to 4K etc. and will not manage all material you throw at it - like iplayer or some rips. But for 200 pounds, I found it worth it and prefer its handling of some streamers.

Last edited:
I completely disagree, that’s an easy cop out. Of course Plasma and 1080p panels deal with it better but that’s not the point.

The majority of content being watched by the public is not 4K. The TV has to be able to deal with poorer content and for me it can be a differentiator between different 4K sets. You don’t buy a 4K TV just to watch 4K content, well 99% of the world doesn’t.

Right now, I'm watching Sapphire and Steel, made in 1972 it is not exactly what you'd call 4K ultra HDR its so old the opening sequence appears to have been drawn using acrylic paint and not CGI graphics, but its still great stuff. Now I would not expect the TV to make it a better picture than it originally was, but I expect it to show it no less quality than it originally was.

So how do OLED panels deal with these things worse than my current Panny plasma?

99% of the potential buying population in this country don’t have 4K Blu Ray players and only watch DV/HLG or HDR+ and watching Eastenders or BBC News or whatever is still a huge chunk of people’s or their spouses/family viewing.
The CX does not have a problem with HD, or SD come to that.
Even local news in SD is not a problem, HD stuff is not an issue 99% of the time.
What is an issue is any content from one provider, HBO! It’s compressed so heavily that the TV doesn’t stand a chance. Other providers, such as Showtime, BBC etc look pristine.
That is where this conversation started, and now ends as far as I’m concerned.
Please don’t turn it into the CX can’t cope with anything less than 4K. That’s simply not true.

I would also like to understand this a bit better. Really hoping that posterisation is not an actual hardware issue.
I spoke to a calibrator in another forum and he said he’d calibrated around 20 CXs and hadn’t seen my exact issue. His recommendation was a calibration but also a potential swap. I haven’t watched any low bit rate sources yet. I’ve watched exclusively 4K and 1080p blu-rays, with some sprinkling of Hulu and 4K Netflix mixed in. I’ve only witnessed my issue with blu-ray and 4K blu-ray sources. Some of it is most likely attributed to the raised black issue with Dolby Vision though that doesn’t fully explain the 1080p and HDR10 content. I’m seeing macro blocking, near black shadow moving artifacts, and almost super dark scenes in 2:35 aspect ratio exhibit black bar flashing in at least 6 4K blu-ray discs I’ve tested so far. Reviews of these discs do not mention these issues.

I do not believe it is wide spread and could be attributed to either a hardware defect or incorrect black levels on my particular unit. Outside of this issue, which is only visible in dark room viewing, the picture quality is astounding.

The CX does not have a problem with HD, or SD come to that.
Even local news in SD is not a problem, HD stuff is not an issue 99% of the time.
What is an issue is any content from one provider, HBO! It’s compressed so heavily that the TV doesn’t stand a chance. Other providers, such as Showtime, BBC etc look pristine.
That is where this conversation started, and now ends as far as I’m concerned.
Please don’t turn it into the CX can’t cope with anything less than 4K. That’s simply not true.

I don’t have a CX and I’m not saying it can’t cope, I genuinely hope it can as I’m looking at buying a 77” GX!

I returned my E6 because it was abysmal at coping with near black and paying £4K for a TV that I didn’t like watching Sky Movies on was just not acceptable for me. So coping with poorer content is a factor in my decision making.

I appreciate that others may just watch 4K or Blu Ray and their decision making may have different factors that are important and I’m not looking to criticise the set or anyone who considers other things more important. But for me, it’s a factor and one I compare LG’s, Sony’s, Samsung’s and Panasonic etc when considering buying a set.

I don’t have a CX and I’m not saying it can’t cope, I genuinely hope it can as I’m looking at buying a 77” GX!

I returned my E6 because it was abysmal at coping with near black and paying £4K for a TV that I didn’t like watching Sky Movies on was just not acceptable for me. So coping with poorer content is a factor in my decision making.

I appreciate that others may just watch 4K or Blu Ray and their decision making may have different factors that are important and I’m not looking to criticise the set or anyone who considers other things more important. But for me, it’s a factor and one I compare LG’s, Sony’s, Samsung’s and Panasonic etc when considering buying a set.

Fully agree. An expensive TV should not perform worse than a cheaper LED/LCD in any situation. It's not acceptable in my opinion.

People read reviews of how well these handle lower resolution material, buy them and then think, what the fudge? Some reviewers really need to still make clear, for a 4K TV in their assessment; that they can't magic in detail where it doesn't exist and will more often highlight this as they blow up the image to fit - Samsung's QLED with machine learning being the attempted exception.
This point will continue to get dragged up years on, as prior content and so much being shot is still 1080p/i and less.

I bought a Nvidia Shield Pro to see if it's AI upscaling enhancer can improve things and it certainly looks noticeably better for some content. But that has the caveats of obviously only working if you feed it into a 4K port to upscale 1080 to 4K etc. and will not manage any material you throw at it - like iplayer or some rips. But for 200 pounds, I found it worth it and prefer its handling of some streamers.

I must be in a weird case that all of the content I watch at present outside of old films is 4K/HDR (video games, films, TV shows).

the only 1080p content I consume is anime and that scales wonderfully. TBH all 1080p content I've found scales well.

For those watching terrestial TV, most of the time in a dark room a plasma is going to be better.

Yup and for Eastenders and BBC news via terrestial TV, if you're not watching it in 1080p or above, you'd be better off with a plasma or a 1080p panel as upscaling there is only so much you can do.

So maybe the majority of the public would have a 4K HDR OLED TV wasted upon them if they're not going to watch 4K HDR content or at least high bitrate 1080p content.. or at least 1080p content.

Upscaling is simply very very processor intensive and very very difficult. People buy Lumagens, MADVR capable PCs to be able to upscale content properly. Nothing beats playing content on a native resolution display sadly.

I'm a firm believer that despite little differences in picture processing power of Sony, Panasonic, LG... at the end of the day, a low bitrate source which isn't at native resolution or at least 1080p looks utter balls on all of them, compared to a 1080p native good panel like a plasma.

Its a tech limitation. A £450 Sony HW40ES released 8-9 years ago projector deals better with native low bitrate content than a £2600 epson 9400.

Yup and for Eastenders and BBC news via terrestial TV, if you're not watching it in 1080p or above, you'd be better off with a plasma or a 1080p panel as upscaling there is only so much you can do.

So maybe the majority of the public would have a 4K HDR OLED TV wasted upon them if they're not going to watch 4K HDR content or at least high bitrate 1080p content.. or at least 1080p content.

Upscaling is simply very very processor intensive and very very difficult. People buy Lumagens, MADVR capable PCs to be able to upscale content properly. Nothing beats playing content on a native resolution display sadly.

I'm a firm believer that despite little differences in picture processing power of Sony, Panasonic, LG... at the end of the day, a low bitrate source which isn't at native resolution or at least 1080p looks utter balls on all of them, compared to a 1080p native good panel like a plasma.

Its a tech limitation. A £450 Sony HW40ES released 8-9 years ago projector deals better with native low bitrate content than a £2600 epson 9400.

I have a 6 year old Samsung and HD upscales fantastically. The majority of content is still only HD so TV's need to be able to deal with it.

I've also checked out some of those scenes in Euphoria mentioned in the thread and there are no issues on my Samsung TV.

I checked that scene on my iPhone, perfect!;);)

I must be in a weird case that all of the content I watch at present outside of old films is 4K/HDR (video games, films, TV shows).

the only 1080p content I consume is anime and that scales wonderfully. TBH all 1080p content I've found scales well.

For those watching terrestial TV, most of the time in a dark room a plasma is going to be better.
You are in a minority. Anime is easier going - except the old stuff with jaggies and colour bands etc, when not intentional!
For the money and top tier status, people expect these to be general user great and to mask/better older contents foibles instead of highlight them. It's understandable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom