LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

How are you finding the feature that is meant to improve the PQ for SDR and poorer picture sources over time? I think it's called AI (some type of self learning thing) but I may be wrong.

It's just a marketing gimmick. Device with that low amount of free ram and such a slow cpu can't really calculate a convolutional neural network in real time ( 24 fps )

It's just a marketing gimmick. Device with that low amount of free ram and such a slow cpu can't really calculate a convolutional neural network in real time ( 24 fps )

I don’t know much about this stuff but if this is correct, would Samsung’s 8k ‘neural’ network/AI upscaling also be a marketing play?

I like standard because it has my settings I like. However I let the TV do it’s thing for things like Dolby. I love that this TV enters the compatible mode automatically. That is awesome. Mind you I am still fresh with the set but I will provide more if requested. I gotta say I do not think any mode I’ve found beats my user settings. That cinema was better than Film mode to me. It’s weird but I don’t really care too much for film mode so far. Not sure why.

I've finally settled on ISF BR for SDR and Cinema for all HDR content , and have all the Ai on, and after 3 weeks tweaking settings literally hourly I'm convinced after 2 weeks of not changing anything the Ai has been able to actually do its stuff an the picture is improving. Albeit I'm also getting upto 200 hours and I'm not bothered about calibration. In fact I hate it , I like bright and colourful TVs

"AI Picture Pro, LG’s suite of picture-processing technologies makes a return with improved image enhancement, reducing noise and increasing sharpness, particularly where faces are concerned."

Think it only works on poor quality content and works gradually, no idea how. Some owners have noticed image improve on the AVSforum and they have had there sets longer.
I'm leaving it on.

I don’t know much about this stuff but if this is correct, would Samsung’s 8k ‘neural’ network/AI upscaling also be a marketing play?

Thats an even bigger marketing gimmick.
For example upscaling SD to 8k will fake up to 97% of the pixels possible.

"AI Picture Pro, LG’s suite of picture-processing technologies makes a return with improved image enhancement, reducing noise and increasing sharpness, particularly where faces are concerned."

Think it only works on poor quality content and works gradually, no idea how. Some owners have noticed image improve on the AVSforum and they have had there sets longer.
I'm leaving it on.

I read AVSforum's thread also. The guys at AVSforum that were reporting "improving" the image just because their panel settles. It takes up to 200h for the OLED to settle and balance itself. It has nothing to do with AI. Thats why its recommended to calibrate the set after 100-200h.

AI upscaling is not feasible with these kind of devices. Datasets have to be huge which they can't even load into RAM with 2-3-4GB available. Even if they overwrite the dataset every 30 minutes you will see clear variations in quality while watching a single 2 hour movie from SD source

To add because gunner84 is asking about AI Picture pro taking resources on the avsforum - no AI Picture pro does not take any of the video processing resources because anything AI related is usually using dedicated instructions in the cpu(+gpu) which have nothing to do with video processing

Last edited:
It may be a bit early, but have any CX owners had their set calibrated yet, or are planning to do so? From everything I've read, they are already very good out of the box, but would be interesting to know if any further improvements can be achieved. I thought my B8 looked great originally, but a pro calibration took it to another level.

Find the do not sell my personal information option and turned that on. Never seen something like that before. It’s in Gen. additional settings but you need to keep going down in the menu to find it. I may the only one who didn’t know about this setting but I do not like it. LG got my $ for this TV I don’t need them selling my info too. Just me.

If whatever you are watching or playing has Dolby then you will be fine with just an eARC receiver. It only really presents a problem if you have movie files that only have a DTS track with the number of channels on it that you want. For example I have the Alien anthology on blu ray. That has Dolby but only in 2.0 stereo. The 5.1 track on it is DTS-HD. But I might just try and see if ITunes has a digital copy with Dolby 5.1 on it. I can’t imagine it’ll cost that much now.
[/QUOTE]
DTSx is object based setup and uses as well height speakers? If yes what is the difference from Dolby Atmos?

Find the do not sell my personal information option and turned that on. Never seen something like that before. It’s in Gen. additional settings but you need to keep going down in the menu to find it. I may the only one who didn’t know about this setting but I do not like it. LG got my $ for this TV I don’t need them selling my info too. Just me.

I also turned live plus off and also unchecked a few of the terms and conditions that I agreed to when I set the TV up, they can also be found under general and additional settings I believe.

Awaiting my 48" OLED LG and asking myself whether it makes sense to stick with my old Yamaha YSP-2200 soundprojector (connected via ARC) or just use the built-in speakers of the LG.
Frankly the surround sound from the YSP never worked well but it produces a spacious sound in the room and a descent punch through its 100 W subwoofer. The later I‘d probably miss most by using only the build-in speaker though the LG has 2 subwoofers but with less power. On the other hand I could use Dolby Atmos with the LG speakers.

A dedicated 5.1 or 7.1 system is no option as we usually do not sit in the center of the room.

What‘s your opinion?

Last edited:
So my 77" is wall mounted and could not be happier.

Not overly tested the set yet but very impressed with the panel uniformity and quality.

Is there a sticky as to what people's settings are?

Not overly tested the set yet but very impressed with the panel uniformity and quality.

Not yet I don’t think, most are happy out the box! Most seem to use the cinema user option as far as I can see

If whatever you are watching or playing has Dolby then you will be fine with just an eARC receiver. It only really presents a problem if you have movie files that only have a DTS track with the number of channels on it that you want. For example I have the Alien anthology on blu ray. That has Dolby but only in 2.0 stereo. The 5.1 track on it is DTS-HD. But I might just try and see if ITunes has a digital copy with Dolby 5.1 on it. I can’t imagine it’ll cost that much now.
DTSx is object based setup and uses as well height speakers? If yes what is the difference from Dolby Atmos?
[/QUOTE]

Truehd atmos = 32 speakers max
DTS-X = 11 speakers max whereas DTS-X:Neural has a better upmixer

Last edited:
Not yet I don’t think, most are happy out the box! Most seem to use the cinema user option as far as I can see

I tried cinema home with ai brightness on again last night and I like it, gives a more vibrant picture with nice pop, need some ambient lighting on with this mode or your eyes will burn though, but saying that It still stays cinema home is still fairly accurate compared to cinema, which I feel can look a little dim at times.

I'm a bit unsure if I should use cinema home for hdr10 as well, but maybe turn off dynamic tone mapping as that might be a bit bright with that enabled as well.

Last edited:

Not really, I posted some basic settings quite a few pages back, but Ive changed them slightly I think.

ISF dark/bright, Cinema (user) and filmmaker modes are the most accurate.

I use ISF dark for SDR, for Dolby Vision I have switched to cinema home with ai brightness on, that way you get the new Dolby Vision IQ.
Not that I'm bothered about that but If it does a good job I might as well try it.

Cinema home gives such a nice vibrant picture compared to cinema as well.

If you watch in a complete dark room cinema (user) would be best personally speaking, if you use some ambient lighting or are in a bright room cinema home. I just use a small side light and cinema home looks wonderful.

edit/ To add I will likely switch between DV cinema and cinema home depending on viewing conditions, I think at night in darker conditions, cinema user works best for me as although cinema home looks good also in a darker room it can really make your eyes strain.

Last edited:
It’s well worth the wait believe me!

Unfortunately I have mine wall mounted, so I can’t give you any photos of the stand. But here’s a couple of photos from 1917 on UHD.

I’ve come from a Sony Bravia LED, and my biggest initial takes are:

1) The contrast is just unbelievable. Oily blacks, I’ll never go back.
2) The viewing angles are so much better. Previously I had to be bang center to get the best picture. Now I can be across the room and it still looks wonderful.

View attachment 1301758View attachment 1301759

I watched this yesterday, looked stunning, nice inky blacks but I did occasionally see some raised blacks, but it might have been intentional
(the night scene at the bombed city)
, but I do know DV has raised black issue currently as well on the CX.

What picture mode are you using in Dolby Vision?

Cheers

does anyone's CX have this sort of reflection warping? visible when the display is off/on

Attachments

• gx.jpg
    gx.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 207
Anybody who lives in the Asia, Europe or the US, have the CX 48" started to sell? I live in Singapore but its still not here yet, there're many articles saying that the CX 48" will start to sell in Europe & Asia first then followed by US this month. The wait is killing me.

ai picture pro, I have it on for all inputs and picture modes but I believe as you say, it only really has an effect on low quality SD sources.

I haven’t noticed any changes but I don’t generally watch much SD content as I’m always viewing Netflix in hdr or spinning a uhd disc.

I've just been reading an old article from Home Cinema Choice reviewing the C9 (it has the same alpha 9 gen 2 processor as the CX). They recommend enabling AI picture setting for all SDR content but NOT for HDR. Apparently ".....the new Picture AI mode, which uses a database of picture "scenarios" to more quickly and accurately assess incoming video so that it can apply picture settings in real time. The lower the quality of your source, the more effective this mode is - chiefly because it manages to remove substantial amounts of source noise and compression artefacts without making images look soft".

does anyone's CX have this sort of reflection warping? visible when the display is off/on
After really looking I would say yes my set also does a different reflection towards the bottom. I don’t see any issue with it as it doesn’t effect the picture at all.

[/QUOTE]
Yes pretty much. Dolby and DTS are just different ‘brands/formats’.
Here is a link for differences between the two.

I think the Cinema User is better for HDR as it is more punchy yet you can't seemingly turn trumotion off (WhichI can really see)

I think the Cinema User is better for HDR as it is more punchy yet you can't seemingly turn trumotion off (WhichI can really see)

I think you mean cinema home, go to Settings / general / ai service.

turn off auto genre selection

true motion can now be turned off in cinema home picture mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom