LG CX OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Eyesnears

Can someone list Series X related issues that I should be aware of and how to mitigate them?

FYI I will be plugging my console directly to the TV with uncompressed sound 7.1 passed through to my soundbar.

xreyuk

Standard Member
Couple of questions about my CX, as i've owned it for quite a while now.

I had it calibrated a couple of months ago and swear it's been since the calibration I've had the following, but i could be unrelated.

Problem 1: The TV auto off function isn't recognising input's when i'm in game mode on the PS5 so will try and turn off every 4 hours, is there a way I can stop this? I don't have any of the CEC functions enabled if that matters.

Problem 2: I have logo luminance set to high, which used to make a noticeable difference to things like the HUD in Warzone - however i now can't tell the difference if it's on or off, so i suspect it may not be working. Any suggestions?

Could this be that the TV isn't recognising anything from the console so tries to do the power off/doesn't do the logo luminance adjustment?

Wing80surfer

1) I'm sure my CX turns off automatically regardless of what's being played/displayed on screen. I don't see it as an issue as I can just press a button on the remote to cancel the auto turn off.

2) I'll have a look at this when I finish work if I remember

wakeNduke

Novice Member
Greetings,

I am looking for some feedback/advice as I am a new owner of a 77 CX. This is my first OLED and I am coming from a 2016 Sony 940D LED. I thought I had done all of the necessary research on the models I wanted and narrowed it down to the CX, C1, and the Sony A80J.

Having had a Sony and not experiencing any issues I thought I would go Sony again but the more I read the more I leaned towards LG. The Sony seemed to receive more praise for picture quality but the LG received more for gaming and over functionality…..meaning that when you connected devices to the LG they just work as opposed to the Sony that could be a bit finnicky at times to get it work properly with connected devices.

I was willing to sacrifice the slight difference in picture quality for a better overall user experience. I also game (PS and XBOX….not next gen consoles at the moment but definitely will once I can actually get my hands on them) and ALL information pointed to LG being the better choice for gaming. I am not a competitive gamer but do enjoy playing for several hours a couple times a week.

This brings me to my issue……motion. I have noticed stutter with fast action scenes and panning scenes. From what I understand this is an inherent issue with OLEDs due to how they handle 24p content. We watch a lot of movies and cable tv, and I find myself focusing more on the stutter than the movie itself.

I have tried various combinations of motion interpolation settings but have not come across anything that seems to do the trick for me. So, if anyone has any suggestions for settings that have worked for them, I would be happy to give them a shot.

Also, the upscaling seems to be worse than my LED with cable TV.

Since Sony is supposedly better with motion and upscaling, I am thinking of returning the CX and getting the A80J. The price on the CX certainly played a part in my decision but since I plan to own this TV for 4-5 years, I would like to enjoy the experience and would pay the difference. That is why I am reaching out. I would hate to go through the process of packing up and returning this TV only to find out the Sony provides roughly the same results. Unfortunately, I can not have them side by side in my home to test so I thought I would ask if any owners here debated a switch and if so, what convinced you to stay with CX? I have not really considered the C1 as I have read that the improvements are marginal so I am not sure it would resolve my concerns.

I apologize for the long post. I am just looking to get some information from other enthusiasts in order to make a well-informed decision and hopefully provide me with some peace of mind.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

CaroleBaskin

@wakeNduke Unfortunately the judder may not be mitigated for your eyes. If you’re sensitive to motion it could be worth trying the A80J to see if the improved motion handling on the Sony side help things. If it’s still largely juddering and distracting it’s likely OLED is the overall issue.

Eyesnears

@wakeNduke
Unfortunately no TV is perfect. Every TV is a compromise. Pick your poison.

Sony's TVs are superb when it comes to motion handling.

The A80J is a stunning TV that I was considering but am sceptical as to whether Sony will unlock all requisite gaming related features.

I just ordered a 55 inch CX but own a 65 Sony XH95 which is jaw dropping when watching HDR movies.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I'm proud of myself... I found the info button on my remote 😂

Anyone have netflix issues? Mine is gone crap for some reason on me. Its cycling through 1080/1440/2160 with network speeds from 0.8 to 8Mbps. Netflix speed test is maxing out at 11...

I have FTTH 2000/600 so it's not like I'm lacking speed. Modem has inbuilt speed test and says its running full pelt.

CaroleBaskin

Anyone have netflix issues? Mine is gone crap for some reason on me. Its cycling through 1080/1440/2160 with network speeds from 0.8 to 8Mbps. Netflix speed test is maxing out at 11...

I have FTTH 2000/600 so it's not like I'm lacking speed. Modem has inbuilt speed test and says its running full pelt.
Have you tried the latest update with faster Ethernet speeds? ;)

Blue Zee

Could it be a Netflix issue?

Test the wireless connection to see if it improves on the wired one.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Greetings,

I am looking for some feedback/advice as I am a new owner of a 77 CX. This is my first OLED and I am coming from a 2016 Sony 940D LED. I thought I had done all of the necessary research on the models I wanted and narrowed it down to the CX, C1, and the Sony A80J.

Having had a Sony and not experiencing any issues I thought I would go Sony again but the more I read the more I leaned towards LG. The Sony seemed to receive more praise for picture quality but the LG received more for gaming and over functionality…..meaning that when you connected devices to the LG they just work as opposed to the Sony that could be a bit finnicky at times to get it work properly with connected devices.

I was willing to sacrifice the slight difference in picture quality for a better overall user experience. I also game (PS and XBOX….not next gen consoles at the moment but definitely will once I can actually get my hands on them) and ALL information pointed to LG being the better choice for gaming. I am not a competitive gamer but do enjoy playing for several hours a couple times a week.

This brings me to my issue……motion. I have noticed stutter with fast action scenes and panning scenes. From what I understand this is an inherent issue with OLEDs due to how they handle 24p content. We watch a lot of movies and cable tv, and I find myself focusing more on the stutter than the movie itself.

I have tried various combinations of motion interpolation settings but have not come across anything that seems to do the trick for me. So, if anyone has any suggestions for settings that have worked for them, I would be happy to give them a shot.

Also, the upscaling seems to be worse than my LED with cable TV.

Since Sony is supposedly better with motion and upscaling, I am thinking of returning the CX and getting the A80J. The price on the CX certainly played a part in my decision but since I plan to own this TV for 4-5 years, I would like to enjoy the experience and would pay the difference. That is why I am reaching out. I would hate to go through the process of packing up and returning this TV only to find out the Sony provides roughly the same results. Unfortunately, I can not have them side by side in my home to test so I thought I would ask if any owners here debated a switch and if so, what convinced you to stay with CX? I have not really considered the C1 as I have read that the improvements are marginal so I am not sure it would resolve my concerns.

I apologize for the long post. I am just looking to get some information from other enthusiasts in order to make a well-informed decision and hopefully provide me with some peace of mind.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
It’s easier to find comparisons between the C1 and A80J as they are both this year’s models. I’d expect the CX to be fairly close to the C1 though.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Is there a recommended 4K Blu-ray player for this TV? I was previously considering the Panasonic UB820, but seeing as it also supports HDR10+, I am thinking it may be a bit overkill to pay a premium for.

Should I be looking at an LG player, or what about a Panasonic model without HDR10+? And do the Panny’s still have the HDR Optimiser feature for standard HDR10 content?

LgAsh76

Is there a recommended 4K Blu-ray player for this TV? I was previously considering the Panasonic UB820, but seeing as it also supports HDR10+, I am thinking it may be a bit overkill to pay a premium for.

Should I be looking at an LG player, or what about a Panasonic model without HDR10+? And do the Panny’s still have the HDR Optimiser feature for standard HDR10 content?
You can pick up a Panny 820 for about £270 which I think is great value for perhaps one of best players on the market. Yes, they do still come with the HDR optimiser.

MNguy37

Novice Member
Actually I was mistaken regarding DD+. When eARC is not properly negotiated by LG CX and AV receiver, Apple TV still thinks it has eARC connectivity I think. Then it sends sound from most apps as LPCM resulting in only stereo sound. Exception is 'Apple TV' app. It sends sound as DD (not DD+ and no Atmos). On the other hand LG CX apps sends sound as DD (also not DD+ and no Atmos).

Now I'm used to either restart AV receiver (while the TV is on) or toggle sound output in CX settings to get eARC back.

But I agree with other users, perhaps not all users are affected and only some AV receivers and soundbars are affected. In my case both Yamaha RX-V6a and Sony STR-DN1080 cannot properly negotiate eARC after firmware 3.23.06 (including 3.23.15).
Same issue here with a LG 77CX and Sony STR-DN1080. Does not push through Atmos anymore since .06 and .15 did not fix it for me either.

Wondering if everyone is using the same settings as I am, or if there are others I need to play with.

Sound Out: HDMI ARC
HDMI Input Audio Format (for all HDMI Inputs): Bitstream
Digital Sound out: Pass through
EARC on

The one other odd thing that started happening for me is on the Peacock App I lost audio for The Office, no other shows on the app just that one. I have to move Digital sound out to PCM to get audio for that show. That one is a head scratcher to me.

AWESOME 4000

Same issue here with a LG 77CX and Sony STR-DN1080. Does not push through Atmos anymore since .06 and .15 did not fix it for me either.

Wondering if everyone is using the same settings as I am, or if there are others I need to play with.

Sound Out: HDMI ARC
HDMI Input Audio Format (for all HDMI Inputs): Bitstream
Digital Sound out: Pass through
EARC on

The one other odd thing that started happening for me is on the Peacock App I lost audio for The Office, no other shows on the app just that one. I have to move Digital sound out to PCM to get audio for that show. That one is a head scratcher to me.
Known issue.

Finbow

Am I right to assume this is something that just you are experiencing?
This isn't a common problem with CX's or OLEDs in general is it?
Just me as far as I’m aware. I had a panel replacement a few months ago. Don’t let this put you off buying one. 99% of people are having a fantastic experience with theirs.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps
  • By Andy Bassett