LG CX OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

kenshingintoki

Eugh found a 77" C9 refurbished for £3690 but only 1 year warranty vs £4670 77" CX at Currys using the above with 5 year warranty, getting hard to decide.
Yeah I saw that one.

"KC Sound and Vision Ltd.
Yoon Kim
Big Yellow Self Storage"

Wouldn't trust them with the warranty issue at all. Can just imagine and see the pain already if anything were to go wrong.

You'd also have a snowballs chance in hell if you got burn in if trying to argue with them. but the £1000-1500 saving is big!

jackmccabe

Novice Member
Yeah I saw that one.

"KC Sound and Vision Ltd.
Yoon Kim
Big Yellow Self Storage"

Wouldn't trust them with the warranty issue at all. Can just imagine and see the pain already if anything were to go wrong.

You'd also have a snowballs chance in hell if you got burn in if trying to argue with them. but the £1000-1500 saving is big!
Credit card would cover me for 1 year and I could go see it in person.
Also I believe he is an LG reseller so presumably not too many issues.
Not an easy decision the other option is to try and wait and get it through John Lewis if it ever goes on sale, the 5 year extended warranty for £140 seems like a very good option.

Guys if anybody has a BlueLightCard crampton and Moore discount club do some good deals and then use rs to price beat if you wish I got the the 65cx5 for £2179

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Hi mate, sure no worries.

Firstly, coming from a Samsung HK850 im just glad the bloody thing doesn't turn itself off as soon as you turn your back on it!!!!:smashin:

Sound wise, very happy, side note on that, due to my positioning, I'm not making the best of the side speakers due to wall location, so a wider soundstage is very achievable in a less constrained space.

Some users have commented on bass issues when volume is running 50-60% high, personally I haven't really noticed anything, but Sonos did issue an update to address that recently, but still some folks are seeing issues. True play it with a iPhone earlier than a X if possible, for some reason X and up seems to set up a slightly worse sound.

Sound is great, like a wall but never overpowering, its a sound bar at the end of the day so its only going to be so good, but separation is great, I've yet to fully get the 'above atmos bubble' but its all down to set-up, location and seating. I am thinking of getting the sub just to underpin the sound but I would not say it is essential, best to try for a week or so first as it does kick out some weight on its own.

LG recently issued an update to allow C9/CX to manage LPCM which is great, but Sonos has yet to support it (it is coming) so this means than some apps running off Apple TV have issues pushing out dialogue on any 5.1 content, but Atmos sounds great as does any Atmos running through internal Apps which is passed as Dolby Digital +

Hope that helps?
Thanks, look forward to getting it, I think that lpcm update is only on the c9 currently, don’t think the cx has had it yet.

MrOrange303

Standard Member
I think I will just stick it on HGIG and forget about it, DTM on brightens screen but also blows out some specular highlights.
Between Off and HGIG, I notice HGIG shows a touch more detail in some areas. This was testing on games that don't technically support HGIG either.
Me too.

Jamesrad

Novice Member
Anyone noticed the black bars flashing grey at times when watching a 4k blu ray.
I was watching birds of prey in cinema mode and noticed the lower black bar flash grey now and then.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Anyone gone from apple tv 4k box to using the apps on TV, such as Netflix and Apple TV app.

Thinking of ditching the Apple TV 4K.

SilverGamer

Anyone gone from apple tv 4k box to using the apps on TV, such as Netflix and Apple TV app.

Thinking of ditching the Apple TV 4K.
I have. But there are some downsides..
  • The Apple Remote can quickly jump forward and back 10 seconds on Netflix / Amazon / etc. This is very useful and I don't see a way to easily do this with the LG remote.
  • In fact the Apple remote (which does take a while to get used to) is just so much faster to whizz around content.
  • I still have to use the Apple box for catch-up services as LG TV's this year don't have them - and if I had to bet, never will.
  • Apple TV can't do 4K YouTube.

Lukasboos

Sooo since im reading all over the web different statements - does the CX support Multichannel PCM via eARC (LPCM 5.1/7.1) or not or is it working but just Biggy? I know the C9 got an update. Does the CX support it out of the box or does it come with a further update?

Lukasboos

Sooo since im reading all over the web different statements - does the CX support Multichannel PCM via eARC (LPCM 5.1/7.1) or not or is it working but just Biggy? I know the C9 got an update. Does the CX support it out of the box or does it come with a further update?
Sooo i tested it my self hooking up: Apple TV -> CX -> Samsung Q90r Soundbar (7.1.4)

I played some LPCM 5.1 Content via Infuse on the Apple TV and strangely all of the 5 Channels are firing from the Soundbar: 3 Center + 2 Sides. The Rears are quite.
Hooking up the Apple TV to the Soundbar, 5.1 works the right way. Three Channels from the Soundbar + 2 from the Rears.
So something is messed up. DD+ 5.1 and Atmos sounds the Same both ways. Can’t test Dolby TureHD 7.1 yet cause the Infuse App on the Apple TV doesnt support it.

Someone else experiencing this?

JackFingTwist

Novice Member
Anyone noticed the black bars flashing grey at times when watching a 4k blu ray.
I was watching birds of prey in cinema mode and noticed the lower black bar flash grey now and then.
I spotted the same issue when testing the 4K discs for La La Land. It was occurring during the scene where Ryan Gosling plays the piano beneath a spotlight in the bar at the beginning of the film. It was a glitchy looking flash, only appearing at times as a square block on one side of the black frame.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
  • The Apple Remote can quickly jump forward and back 10 seconds on Netflix / Amazon / etc. This is very useful and I don't see a way to easily do this with the LG remote.
  • In fact the Apple remote (which does take a while to get used to) is just so much faster to whizz around content.
  • I still have to use the Apple box for catch-up services as LG TV's this year don't have them - and if I had to bet, never will.
Good points, I know the apple remote is marmite with some, I personally think it's fine. I'm going to install Netflix and apple TV and see how I find them. Thank you.

Last edited:

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Internal Netflix app, no Atmos labels on anything, is that because I haven't got atmos soundbar?

*No worries, it was that as I switched to TV speakers which has a atmos sound setting, and atmos label was back.

Does anyone know if picture mode changes are separate for each app on the TV, say I change a setting in dolby vision cinema mode on Netflix app, will it change on disney + app?

Last edited:

Enapace

There is a lot more on Apple TV in terms of apps and in terms of 4K on Youtube it will come the upcoming autumn update. Personally still think the Apple TV is the best all round streaming box but yes i know people are divided on the Remote i love it personally.

SilverGamer

Good points, I know the apple remote is marmite with some, I personally think it's fine. I'm going to install Netflix and apple TV and see how I find them. Thank you.
Personally I find the lack of ability to instantly jump back and forward 10 seconds to be hugely annoying and I really miss this functionality on the LG remote. The Mrs always asks things and then I just rewind 10 seconds. Now it would probably take me 20 seconds to mess about and go back 30 - 60 seconds. I really miss it.

You can do this on the Fire Stick too. So it's basic functionality.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Personally I find the lack of ability to instantly jump back and forward 10 seconds to be hugely annoying and I really miss this functionality on the LG remote. The Mrs always asks things and then I just rewind 10 seconds. Now it would probably take me 20 seconds to mess about and go back 30 - 60 seconds. I really miss it.

You can do this on the Fire Stick too. So it's basic functionality.
Yeah the rewind/forward is much better on apple box, I have just installed Netflix, Disney + and Apple TV apps on tv and Im liking them, I might miss the apple remote but I think I will get used to the LG remote.

Few positives as well, apple tv 4k has always been a bit broken with raised black levels on dolby vision, although there was a fix its still discussed to this day, so I don't think it's ever been completely fixed. I think DV is still raised a little at brightness 50 but LG might fix that hopefully as I don't want to lower to 49 which is one fix.

Free's up a hdmi port and less cables behind TV.

One less device to dust :laugh:

And apple tv 4k box always used to be a pain with CEC hdmi control despite having it off on the box, it will still turn on when I didn't want to use it.

I just hope like you mentioned that LG give us the catch up apps like BBC iplayer, I think this will happen it's just a waiting game.

Last edited:

tybittz

I read that unplugging this tv could be a bad idea. my TV is plugged into a power outlet and my father makes me turn off the switch of it when we're all out of the house. is that basically the same thing? should I worry?

iangreasby

I read that unplugging this tv could be a bad idea. my TV is plugged into a power outlet and my father makes me turn off the switch of it when we're all out of the house. is that basically the same thing? should I worry?
If you unplug it on a regular basis then you may miss out on the pixel refreshes.