LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

The Series X can support 1440p resolution so that is probably what to aim for. In short yes it makes a difference. I notice games are indeed smoother and more responsive and with 120fps even more so.
Thanks for that. Probably going to stick to a 1080p monitor to prioritise responsiveness and smoothness over resolution. Should I be looking for a monitor with both free sync and G sync? I assume monitors with HDR capability at the cheaper end of the market are best avoided!

Keasy: not seen any such issues like that ever, perhaps you got a faulty processor or another tv hardware fault especially if it occurs on all sources (virgin/sky, inbuilt apps, pc, console etc).
I watch MMA weekly for 8hrs+, so people get knocked out within a split second and would have noticed any stuttering or distracting issue. Since you tried it on and off that also may point to a faulty processing of the TV perhaps mainboard issue.

id still at least try record some videos, send it to LG support and see an engineers opinion or if they can book a TV repair see if it improves the motion, nothing else to lose really.

Sweet Caroline:
I am pretty harsh on LG and their QC process, but having said that Sony and other OLED panel manufacturers get their fair share of TV faults and issues, take the new grid effect issue it was recently confirmed even the new 2021 Sonys OLEDS get them these are 3K+ sets, and Sony do a lot more QC on their side then LG but even Value electronics store failed a few Sony sets since they did not meet their QC expectations quality wise, its still a panel lottery sadly with any brand
I have Freeview HD on mine mate.
It happens on DTV/Freeview and Virgin Media V6 stb
I have virgin 360 and did find it difficult to iron out the odd stutter on football. It all seems to revolve around the quality of the source. My freeview or freesat chanels are much clearer than the Sky sports HD via Virgin. BT and Eurosport are ok. BT 4k is terrific.
I can get the footy ok on the sports main event chanel, only to find watching the same match on the PL channel looks poor in comparison and the stuttering occurs on the same picture setting.
I still get stutter watching golf. Often the puts will have the ball move in 3 inch steps lol.
So I believe it's related to the bitrates. Also on the 360 platform the tv upscale far better than the virgin box, so I set the output of the virgin box to 1080p and let the tv do the upscale, unless I watch BT sport 4k when I alter it.
I also play Netflix, Prime and Apple tv from the tv not Virgin and the quality is mint.
Not much help, but as others have suggested it could be a faulty tv if you are suffering on lots of differen content.

Thanks for that. Probably going to stick to a 1080p monitor to prioritise responsiveness and smoothness over resolution. Should I be looking for a monitor with both free sync and G sync? I assume monitors with HDR capability at the cheaper end of the market are best avoided!
Series X does not support Gsync only free sync. HDR will be some nit level that probably makes little difference. The games tend to use dynamic resolution so Black Ops at 120fps is 1080p-1200p. I'd probably still get 1440p as a lot of the 60fps games will easily use that with no issues.

Have a look at The 6 Best Monitors For Xbox Series X - Spring 2021: Reviews and note that a lot of monitors won't support above 60fps with the Series X due to the HDMI ports they have anyway. So you may not get much benefit from a new one.

I'm regretting buying an LG CX three months ago.
The motion is just horrendous no matter what I do, there's always this distracting stuttery movement. And I don't mean panning shots etc, it's things like people's heads suddenly moving from one position to another, like a flipbook animation that's missing half the pages. It's a mess.
I also struggle to get colours looking good. I can get it looking how I like it, mark down all the settings, have an arse about trying to just tweak it, then revert back to what it was and it looks nothing like how it did!

I've reset several times to default/factory. Nothing. The thing is I didn't notice any of this until the most recent FW update. £1300 for a TV and the motion is worse looking than my 10-year-old 42" Phillips LCD.
Hi, did you try to unplug the electricity cable? 2nd day of purchase and new firmware update, picture became very dark, I thought it is because the tv is so dart, much darker then my old C8 used to be, then i was thinking to return it, turning tv off with the remote did nothing, then I tried to take of the electricity cable, turn it back on and the picture issue disappeared.

I have virgin 360 and did find it difficult to iron out the odd stutter on football. It all seems to revolve around the quality of the source. My freeview or freesat chanels are much clearer than the Sky sports HD via Virgin. BT and Eurosport are ok. BT 4k is terrific.
I can get the footy ok on the sports main event chanel, only to find watching the same match on the PL channel looks poor in comparison and the stuttering occurs on the same picture setting.
I still get stutter watching golf. Often the puts will have the ball move in 3 inch steps lol.
So I believe it's related to the bitrates. Also on the 360 platform the tv upscale far better than the virgin box, so I set the output of the virgin box to 1080p and let the tv do the upscale, unless I watch BT sport 4k when I alter it.
I also play Netflix, Prime and Apple tv from the tv not Virgin and the quality is mint.
Not much help, but as others have suggested it could be a faulty tv if you are suffering on lots of differen content.
That username! 🤣 Not a fellow Northerner by any chance are you?

I use the internal Netflix app, but can't decide whether the motion is better on the internal Prime app or from my 4K Fire Stick; I suspect they're about as good as each other tbh, but the TV won't tell me what framerate the internal app is running at, whereas the Fire Stick shows when it's adjusting to the correct framerate. Coming from a Panasonic HZ980 I was shocked at just how smooth 24p content is on the CX (with Real Cinema switched on obvs).

Oh btw, if you've got a CX you need to update your signature!

The Series X can support 1440p resolution so that is probably what to aim for. In short yes it makes a difference. I notice games are indeed smoother and more responsive and with 120fps even more so.
As someone who uses 120fps mode do you have any idea when you spam the green button to get the Freesync menu if 'FIXED' means fixed to the input refresh rate say 59hz or fixed to the rate the TV is displaying? With certain refresh rates I get 'FIXED' and then '60hz' even though it identifies the correct refresh rate.

Not everything on prime is great, try watch 30 minutes of the sheild..pic is great then fuzzy in other scenes

It means fixed as in you don't have Freesync or VRR enabled
Thanks mate. Any idea why I get the attached image? Is it simply that the incoming framerate is the 59.18hz frequency and the 60hz is the actual screen rate? How do I enable VRR as the Freesync button is enabled but the screen still locks to 60hz, it doesn't switch to 59.18.

Attachments

• 20210503_145928.jpg
    20210503_145928.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 72
Thanks mate. Any idea why I get the attached image? Is it simply that the incoming framerate is the 59.18hz frequency and the 60hz is the actual screen rate? How do I enable VRR as the Freesync button is enabled but the screen still locks to 60hz, it doesn't switch to 59.18.
You need to go into the Xbox settings and enable VRR if you haven't already done so, on mine when it detected the Xbox on the first bootup it automatically enabled all settings, was great seeing that sea of green ticks :)

You need to go into the Xbox settings and enable VRR if you haven't already done so, on mine when it detected the Xbox on the first bootup it automatically enabled all settings, was great seeing that sea of green ticks :)
Sorry mate this image is not from my Xbox. This particular image is from the MiSTer FPGA where you cannot enable that but I'm told it should engage automatically on any panel. The Xbox works fine with it. Is there some kind of option to force it to sync to the odd 59.18hz refresh rate?

Sorry mate this image is not from my Xbox. This particular image is from the MiSTer FPGA where you cannot enable that but I'm told it should engage automatically on any panel. The Xbox works fine with it. Is there some kind of option to force it to sync to the odd 59.18hz refresh rate?
Hi if the game works fine what's the issue?

Is there a way to quick access the screen saver on the tv?

You probably want the Art Gallery?

Also another option is to add a Screen Off shortcut, to the settings menu. I use it a lot, as it's very quick and gives instant peace of mind. Regarding worrying about burn-in, etc.

Here's how to add the shortcut, if your're unsure. This was taken from someone else's reddit post.

Press the Settings button once to bring up the quick settings menu on the left, then went to down the crayon symbol Edit Mode. There is an option to add Screen Off to the quick menu, and you can rearrange the order so Screen Off is at the top

Post here mate you will get an answer sharpish

I don't know enough about the freesync menu to comment really. I would have thought that as the device itself is not capable of either freesync/VRR then the TV just displays what its being outputted at (which would be fixed)

Post here mate you will get an answer sharpish

I don't know enough about the freesync menu to comment really. I would have thought that as the device itself is not capable of either freesync/VRR then the TV just displays what its being outputted at (which would be fixed)
Amazing. Cheers for the link.

Also another option is to add a Screen Off shortcut, to the settings menu. I use it a lot, as it's very quick and gives instant peace of mind. Regarding worrying about burn-in, etc.

Here's how to add the shortcut, if your're unsure. This was taken from someone else's reddit post.
Yes this! Thank you!

Series X does not support Gsync only free sync. HDR will be some nit level that probably makes little difference. The games tend to use dynamic resolution so Black Ops at 120fps is 1080p-1200p. I'd probably still get 1440p as a lot of the 60fps games will easily use that with no issues.

Have a look at The 6 Best Monitors For Xbox Series X - Spring 2021: Reviews and note that a lot of monitors won't support above 60fps with the Series X due to the HDMI ports they have anyway. So you may not get much benefit from a new one.
Thanks again.Yes, I had checked HDMI restrictions and 1.4 will do 120 FPS but only at 1080p on series X/S.

Be good if you could activate screen saver the same way

Yes this! Thank you!
Try also turning on the mic on the magic remote and speak: SCREEN OFF.
😜

Thanks man, I appreciate your input there.
Things are looking up a bit after yet another full reset I've managed to get things looking to my liking and the motion isn't as bad looking. I'm thinking if there's some pixels/cells that are too bright it creates a halo effect (much like an overvolted pixel on an LCD) and that gives the impression of a fast trailing image. Like s tracer effect.

I think you're right on source front in regard to the VM box.
I notice you mention the 360, is that what you're using and is it an updated V6box?

Thanks

Thanks man, I appreciate your input there.
Things are looking up a bit after yet another full reset I've managed to get things looking to my liking and the motion isn't as bad looking. I'm thinking if there's some pixels/cells that are too bright it creates a halo effect (much like an overvolted pixel on an LCD) and that gives the impression of a fast trailing image. Like s tracer effect.

I think you're right on source front in regard to the VM box.
I notice you mention the 360, is that what you're using and is it an updated V6box?

Thanks

Yes it was mentioned a while back here that different sporting channels and even at different events and games the bandwidth and bitrate drops, some games and events use higher quality cameras while others not so much. Having said that I have a v6 box, watched football a little but did not spot any stutter. Sometimes VM signals are not great from the green cabinet also though so issues can be a technical one.

One way to test this is get a bluray source film or download a 4K large demo if not a footy game AVI or Mkv file and run it directly off a good quality fast usb flash drive or better usb hard drive and then see if you get any motion issues.

If it plays smooth and fault free then you just know its the source at fault.

VA and IPS TVs like Samsung hide much of the low bitrate issues better then OLEDs do, some do notice the SD and HD channels perform better on those TVs especially motion (apart from Qled samsungs)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom