LG CX OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

chenks

Suspended
chenk were you aware of this method of getting the brightness setting right, the one discussed few pages back ?

I think you tend to go defaults, filmmaker mode for SDR/HDR and processing options off similar to me and others anyhow.

I was doing it incorrectly with the contrast and brightness mark sydow slides so my brightness was way up.

huh?
i haven't adjusted any contrast or brightness settings on any preset.
only adjustment i've ever made was the OLED light, everything else is at "stock" for FILMMAKER mode (apart from disabling DTM for HDR)

fluxedman

The correct setting is usually 50, 51 or 52. Every tv is slightly different. That is what we were talking about.

For HDR and Dolby Vision it’s best to just leave everything at default.

I prefer the pitch black calibration video too, I did try the wide screen movie and black bar method but didn't seem to work maybe it was due to the light from the picture or it was dark grey, or my eyes not adjusting not sure.

0% black video worked fine, glowed @ brightness 52 so went back to 51 for true inky blacks.

I know a few have said with HDR to leave it on defaults but I noticed during a HDR movie yesterday it was glowing not inky black so as a general test I notched brightness back down to 48 to be the sweet spot, 49 it glowed. I found a calibrator zip off AVS with OLED HDR full black video and same results with 49 being good and non glowing too.

Should HDR not also be deep inky blacks also like SDR, to the point the OLED morphs with the surrounding black room and cant be seen or you reckon defaults brightness 50 with HDR still ?

fluxedman

huh?
only adjustment i've ever made was the OLED light, everything else is at "stock" for FILMMAKER mode (apart from disabling DTM for HDR)

Brightness could still do with an adjustment, see here:

Its to avoid missing out on black details or avoid crushing blacks, Its further OLED picture tweaking though so not essential for the majority but guess it can't hurt to improve the OLED picture quality.

Blue Zee

i'll need to try it again then.
last time i tested it didn't provide atmos
DSCPDC_0000_BURST20210316134622761.JPG

chenks

Suspended
Its to avoid missing out on black details or avoid crushing blacks, Its further OLED picture tweaking though so not essential for the majority but guess it can't hurt to improve the OLED picture quality.

the 100% blacks seem to be pretty much 100% for me.
when watching widescreen with black bars top and bottom, at normal viewing distance they blend in with the black bezels, and don't appear to fluxuate from that black level.

Gersfan

huh?
Im the same, only touched Oled light. Everything else is default settings

Rolly1988

Hi all, first OLED. Had initially been looking at a Sony A8 55 or A9 48 but in the end my wife ruled out the former due to size and the latter due to price. Have got myself a 48 CX and excited to unbox it later.

Tips for an OLED and LG newbie would be welcome. I will resist temptation to go looking for problems I think... I know settings is personal but have found some with rtings which may have a look at. Won’t be gaming on it, will be used for sky q incl. sports, kids and various box sets, Netflix, Disney and Prime. Have only ever owned Panasonic LCD/LEDs previously

fluxedman

the 100% blacks seem to be pretty much 100% for me.
when watching widescreen with black bars top and bottom, at normal viewing distance they blend in with the black bezels, and don't appear to fluxuate from that black level.

I thought that at first but your eyes can be deceiving due to the light from screen or room or tv menus etc

You maybe still missing shadow detail or crushing the blacks with brightness levels being slightly off, usually brightness 51 or 52, all sets are different naturally.

Grab this video file
0% black video

When its night time and all lights in your room are off and its pitch black run the 0% black video on your LG CX, then let any on screen TV logos/icons vanish (HDR logo, or ffw/play icons as much as can disappear etc) let your eyes adjust to the pitch black room so give it a minute you should spot your brightness is off and glowing, so now prepare the brightness setting.

So reduce brightness to 48 and go slowly to 49, 50, 51, 52 till you see it glow (goes bit more whiter screen) and then go back down to previous brightness level, this is your correct brightness level.

Example : I did the above went from brightness 48 then upped it slowly to 52, but 52 caused screen to glow then I went back to 51 and its now pure inky blacks, I can't see the TV screen on my wall even its just one black solid wall. I believe this is the right method if it isn't am sure ill be corrected.

Should also note the above is for SDR, HDR apparently you leave it on normal picture defaults.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
I prefer the pitch black calibration video too, I did try the wide screen movie and black bar method but didn't seem to work maybe it was due to the light from the picture or it was dark grey, or my eyes not adjusting not sure.

0% black video worked fine, glowed @ brightness 52 so went back to 51 for true inky blacks.

I know a few have said with HDR to leave it on defaults but I noticed during a HDR movie yesterday it was glowing not inky black so as a general test I notched brightness back down to 48 to be the sweet spot, 49 it glowed. I found a calibrator zip off AVS with OLED HDR full black video and same results with 49 being good and non glowing too.

Should HDR not also be deep inky blacks also like SDR, to the point the OLED morphs with the surrounding black room and cant be seen or you reckon defaults brightness 50 with HDR still ?
Afaik, HDR10 should be completely black just the same as SDR. The problem is you could be adjusting it with a movie that was mastered with raised blacks, so is supposed to glow slightly. That would then mean you’re crushing black on everything else.
Dolby Vision seems even worse to me, black levels appear to vary by device, content, wind direction etc etc. Its a nightmare for mere mortals like us.
I’ll have a look at those AVS files. They sound really useful. Not sure they are going to be any use for me as I only use an iPad these days, worth a look though.
All I do at the moment is just test lots of different content until I get something I’m happy with, or, more likely, get sick to death of playing with it and stick with the defaults.😁
By the way, 51 for SDR is correct for mine too. Pleased you’ve got it sorted.👍

chenks

Suspended
or, more likely, get sick to death of playing with it and stick with the defaults.😁

yes, there's only so much micro managing settings before the effort outweighs the benefit.

markb1980

markb1980

This is from Reddit-

Tested in dead by daylight and the shadow of the tomb raider post benchmark graph scrubbing. It's not 100% fixed. But it is noticeably better. To the point I don't believe I'll ever notice it again despite me having been hyper sensitive to it all this time.

Edit: Jumped the gun on this update. The gamma curve doesnt seem to change dynamically as the fps fluctuates. You just have the ability to tune the curve since it's default is for 120 with a new + or - setting. So if your game bounces around in the 90s you can adjust the curve to have correct blacks for the 90s, but it still won't be perfect, and dips will still flash the screen brighter for a moment if the dip is super low. This is good and bad news. Good news you can manually adjust for different hz values. Bad news is it isn't dynamic, will have to be adjusted anytime you switch to a game that has fps averages in a different range, and dips will still flash since the curve isn't dynamic.

For those wondering how I got the update, I used a harmony remote to turn on dev mode on my tv so I get updates early. I don't recommend this because if LG ever sends out a new version on the dev channel with a ridulously high version number, you could get stuck on it as it will never be superseded.

So how are we supposed to know how low a certain games frame rate drops to to enable us to adjust this setting 🤷‍♂️ The freesync menu reports 5.5hz when you have 120fps selected.

Blenky

Hi guys, new here, just bought the CX 55 hope i made the right decision! Coming from a Samsung 2016 ue55ks7000.
Hi, welcome. I came from a 2016 KS8000 55"to an CX 55. Had the Samsung for over four years and was great TV for its time. However the LG is is a totally different beast. Took some getting used to as not as bright as the Samsung. But when you get used to the different technology its a stunner.

seert

First time I have bought an OLED, 55 inch version. I got it last Tuesday and have not done anything to the settings but tonight I have had BBC Iplayer on watching Bloodlands and I have blooming on picture, I was led to believe that you wouldn't get blooming on an Oled tv is this correct?
As I said I haven't touched any setting so picture is on Eco, I seem to have a lot of motion as well
Would someone be kind enough to let me know what setting it should be on and where would I get a list of setting for better pictures?

Thanks for any help supplied

Kimberson

Distinguished Member
First time I have bought an OLED, 55 inch version. I got it last Tuesday and have not done anything to the settings but tonight I have had BBC Iplayer on watching Bloodlands and I have blooming on picture, I was led to believe that you wouldn't get blooming on an Oled tv is this correct?
As I said I haven't touched any setting so picture is on Eco, I seem to have a lot of motion as well
Would someone be kind enough to let me know what setting it should be on and where would I get a list of setting for better pictures?

Think it would be recommended to read the last 3 or 4 pages. Lots of discussion recently on best pic modes/settings etc.
Oh & get it out of eco mode asap.

seert

20210316_194809.jpg

Maybe I don't have the right word as in blooming, hopefully you can see to the right of the woman in photo

seert

Think it would be recommended to read the last 3 or 4 pages. Lots of discussion recently on best pic modes/settings etc.
Oh & get it out of eco mode asap.
Thank you for your post, will have a look, much appreciated

Kimberson

Distinguished Member
View attachment 1477438

Maybe I don't have the right word as in blooming, hopefully you can see to the right of the woman in photo
Think that's posterisation. No doubt it's in the low bitrate content.
Get it out of eco mode and try filmmaker mode.

Rolling Sly

View attachment 1477438

OLED’s don’t suffer from blooming. Your photo is showing posterization/gradation. Nothing wrong with the TV at all, it’s simply doing a BRILLIANT job at showing poor quality content for what it is.

seert

OLED’s don’t suffer from blooming. Your photo is showing posterization/gradation. Nothing wrong with the TV at all, it’s simply doing a BRILLIANT job at showing poor quality content for what it is.
Thank you much appreciated, as I said earlier this is my first venture with Oled and I was certainly panicking earlier as to what was going on.
Is rtings the best place to get settings?

fluxedman

Afaik, HDR10 should be completely black just the same as SDR. The problem is you could be adjusting it with a movie that was mastered with raised blacks, so is supposed to glow slightly. That would then mean you’re crushing black on everything else.
Dolby Vision seems even worse to me, black levels appear to vary by device, content, wind direction etc etc. Its a nightmare for mere mortals like us.
I’ll have a look at those AVS files. They sound really useful. Not sure they are going to be any use for me as I only use an iPad these days, worth a look though.
All I do at the moment is just test lots of different content until I get something I’m happy with, or, more likely, get sick to death of playing with it and stick with the defaults.😁
By the way, 51 for SDR is correct for mine too. Pleased you’ve got it sorted.👍

Ok just a curiosity more then anything but makes sense, I think ill also stick with hdr brightness defaults at least got the SDR sorted, gonna keep it kiss.

It was from avs link here :

google drive full version then under black levels folder

fluxedman

setting for better pictures?

Picture mode>
Energy saving off, additional settings > hdmi ultra deep colour >enable on all hdmi ports

Picture mode (your preference) but Filmmaker is the most accurate

Set your OLED light to what you prefer some like 35 others 45 etc, its your choice and it should suit your eyes and viewing times (morning or night)

Basically leaving picture defaults and Filmmaker and choosing your OLED light to your liking is considered a solid starting point. You can also check advanced and picture options and switch off
any additional processing but this is optional and most are off by default under filmmaker mode.

OLEDS take a good 2-3 weeks before they settle down or 200hrs (some feel), good idea to update to the latest tv firmware also since it improves posterization and other picture issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp