LG CX OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

adbailey18

LG support replied on the twitter thread regarding the grid/brush stroke issue. It was the usual pre-canned reply to contact support but everyone should reply again to them directly reinforcing the issue.

What else would you expect from a twitter account?

This issue you guys have been seeing, is it all 77 models?

techdiver

What else would you expect from a twitter account?

Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting anything of substance from the twitter account. I'm pleased they responded. But just throwing it out there for people who have the issue so that if their support see enough perhaps they will forward it up the ladder.

I have 77 inch, but others have noticed it on smaller screen sizes. Seemed to start around mid late summer from my reading of avsforum so perhaps something changed in manufacturing. Others on avsforum have agreed that golf is the torture test for it. But full fields slides do show it and the brighter the image the more noticeable. One guy has it on his and brought identical content to test on a friends C7 or C8 and no such issue so it's certainly a recent problem. LG do seems to have 2 plants manufacturing panels now so perhaps the lottery is based on which pant the panels come from.

adbailey18

Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting anything of substance from the twitter account. I'm pleased they responded. But just throwing it out there for people who have the issue so that if their support see enough perhaps they will forward it up the ladder.

I have 77 inch, but others have noticed it on smaller screen sizes. Seemed to start around mid late summer from my reading of avsforum so perhaps something changed in manufacturing. Others on avsforum have agreed that golf is the torture test for it. But full fields slides do show it and the brighter the image the more noticeable. One guy has it on his and brought identical content to test on a friends C7 or C8 and no such issue so it's certainly a recent problem. LG do seems to have 2 plants manufacturing panels now so perhaps the lottery is based on which pant the panels come from.
Yeah sounds a reasonable theory. Definitely don't have it on mine, box is in the garage I'll check the MF date later

markb1980

Can you give me a scene to check and time stamp of something that shows it clearly as I would like to check mine. I don’t like looking for things but would rather know if I have the issue.

techdiver

Can you give me a scene to check and time stamp of something that shows it clearly as I would like to check mine. I don’t like looking for things but would rather know if I have the issue.

Full field slides in bright colours like white should show it. Like the ones below:

https://www.avsforum.com/attachments/break-in-slides-zip.2033921/

It's often subtle but it's there and more noticeable in panning shots.

For some people they have seen it in the below clip.

If I look at the sky behind Will Smith from about 45 seconds onwards I see these really thin hair lines in the cloud. To me it looks like a brush stroke effect. Some call it a grid effect. The effect doesn't appear on other devices for me. You need to be up close to the TV to see it clearly in that clip but it's there for me.

The most visible for me is watching golf. Panning shots of cloudy skies shows it best. It is not source issues either or compression as I've tested identical content on multiple TV's and the only one with the issue is the OLED.

I'm not a huge gamer but many gamers have complained of seeing it in gaming with bright images and skies etc.

The thread on avsforum has a lot more reports than here:

tutu

I have tested Ghostbusters 2 4k Ultra HD Bluray on my Series X with the latest software update for the X (Jan 2021) and firmware update on the LG

Looks like the 'black screen' issue still has not been fixed by Microsoft...

Pat schnack

Novice Member
Hey guys, another question from an Oled CX newbie.

The Logo Luminance Adjustment - I have this currently set to high, but for the life of me, I dont think its turning on. I've tried it off, low and high and there seems to be no change.

This was from watching football so I expected it to show on the score in the top corner. Does anyone have any screenshot or video of what it should look like? Are there any reports of it just not working?

techdiver

The Logo Luminance Adjustment - I have this currently set to high, but for the life of me, I dont think its turning on. I've tried it off, low and high and there seems to be no change.

This was from watching football so I expected it to show on the score in the top corner. Does anyone have any screenshot or video of what it should look like? Are there any reports of it just not working?

It's hit and miss to be honest. I've noticed it on the prime video yellow menus and in plex if you leave it static for a few minutes. Not consistent though.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member

It takes a few minutes to kick in, but with the football score against the right background it looks like a dark halo around the score. It’s subtle, but obvious when you know what you’re looking for.

Converge

This OTA way of deploying firmware updates annoys me. I think it should force it through if you choose 'Check for update'. If you're not bothered, then you're not actively going to go in and check for one are you. So it's not like it would swamp their servers or anything.

Getting miffed that it's not come through on my CX yet. I'm impatient damn it! :):eek:

ubistonk83

As others have said, the logo has to have been there a couple of minutes. When I watch football on Sky I can clearly tell when it has kicked in. The match time in particular looks dimmer once it’s activated.

chucky_uk

This OTA way of deploying firmware updates annoys me. I think it should force it through if you choose 'Check for update'. If you're not bothered, then you're not actively going to go in and check for one are you. So it's not like it would swamp their servers or anything.

Getting miffed that it's not come through on my CX yet. I'm impatient damn it! :):eek:

Join the club mate, still not got the update yet.

chenks

that's not how staged rollouts work though.
the "check for update" button isn't checking to see if a new firmware is available to everyone, it's checking to see if it's available to your specific TV.

it's done this way so that if something disastrous happens it hasn't impacted 100% of the devices all at the same time, they have a way of stopping it and minimising the impact.

Converge

the "check for update" button isn't checking to see if a new firmware is available to everyone, it's checking to see if it's available to your specific TV.

it's done this way so that if something disastrous happens it hasn't impacted 100% of the devices all at the same time, they have a way of stopping it and minimising the impact.
Hence my suggestion of it only being if you went out of your way through the menus and pressed the button and why I was moaning about staged rollouts / OTA. Your / LG’s reasoning is a little flawed anyway, it hardly stopped the issue of raised blacks on previous models being circulated and this firmware having to be circulated to fix the hgig issue...

fluxedman

48inch CX from August 2020 manufacturer date, td and others see it worse then myself but its still there in the skies for me and sometimes plain whites or bright scenes, for me personally its fine and id have to look look for it though, the bigger the screens the more easily visible it seems.

We have that 2 side thing going around here and other forums, should we find the issues or not find the issues and enjoy, but I have changed my tune last few months I think its a good idea to at least notify LG or manufacturer off the fault otherwise you can't fix something unless you know the problem.

Also an Asda Polaroid £150 LED TV displays it fine while a £1500+ OLED LG TV gets it wrong is a bit mind blowing.

chenks

Hence my suggestion of it only being if you went out of your way through the menus and pressed the button and why I was moaning about staged rollouts / OTA. Your / LG’s reasoning is a little flawed anyway, it hardly stopped the issue of raised blacks on previous models being circulated and this firmware having to be circulated to fix the hgig issue...

not everyone got that firmware version OTA though, so we can only summise that the rollout was stopped.
we'll never know for sure though.

staged rollouts are common practice, and it's even used when pushing out updated version of apps on the google play store (for example).

ubistonk83

not everyone got that firmware version OTA though, so we can only summise that the rollout was stopped.
we'll never know for sure though.

staged rollouts are common practice, and it's even used when pushing out updated version of apps on the google play store (for example).
Tune in again tomorrow viewers for another lecture on how staged rollouts work! 😀

Finbow

Strange, maybe try power cycling the TV or resetting the picture mode? Before factory anyway.
The FW is great for me at least...
Did both of those & initially didn’t sort it. Seems to have sorted itself out now though! So it may have worked after all! Thanks.

adbailey18

Did both of those & initially didn’t sort it. Seems to have sorted itself out now though! So it may have worked after all! Thanks.
Good stuff 👏

Finbow

Incidentally, if you’re a series X owner & want to show off your fancy new Game mode you could do a lot worse than download the new ‘Hivebusters’ campaign for Gears 5. Looks absolutely incredible!

B35

Also so it doesn't break the servers with everyone downloading it at once.

rusty mechanic

Hi All
Anybody use a Sonos Beam as Soundbar with the CX ?, like to hear peoples thoughts if you have

Cheers
Hi mate I’ve got a 48” cx and a Sonos beam and they work well together 👍 I’ve had my beam for a while and think it a cracking sound bar especially considering it’s not huge and I’ve got no regrets at all since buying it. If you buy direct from sonos you can try it out and send it back if you don’t like it.
Oh and I’ve certainly no regrets buying my 48”cx

Winchesterclub

Thanks RM
Yes loving the 48CX no problems at all so far i do play a fair bit of music through the TV Spotify mainly so just need a small Soundbar with not to many leads faffing about plus not another remote.......
I presume setting up with the CX was easy ? I would need the CX remote plus the Virgin 360 one to pair with the Soundbar

Cheers

Tomnook80

Took delivery of the 48 CX and am blown away! How do I find out what firmware version the set is currently running and change/check updates are on/off?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett