LG CX OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Thanks i will look out for it, do not do any gaming though
In which case I think its identical to 03.21.09 which is available on the LG website for a USB update. That one fixes all the general TV watching issues, but messed up gaming at the same time.

chenks

In my case a Yamaha RX-V381 with no sources powered up did it. I have no idea how common a scenario it could be, but there were several times when the standby light saved me from leaving the TV on overnight.
Thankfully the Marantz I have now triggers the art gallery screen savers.

Sounds like the Yamaha was sending a persistent signal to the TV, which is strange.

The marantz is doing what I'd expect.

My issue is my soundbar sends a static image to the TV saying there is no input... Well duh! And as it's static it's a screen burn risk. The art gallery is only on screen for about 1 second before the soundbar overrides it

Pat schnack

Novice Member
Hey all, Im a new LG CX 55' owner (big upgrade on my 6 year old 42 inch samsung HD Ready TV!!)

I was told to post in here as I want to get the most out of the TV (best settings etc). I watch all my content pretty much through my Xbox One that has Sky Go on it (no normal antenna yet in the house) and then apps such as Netflix, Amazon. I also have a Series X but no Sky go account on that.

Content I watch mostly is football, films and Tv shows. Then gaming (but from what I understand HDR will kick in when I launch a game)

Also just wondering I see places say "use X settings for sport" and "use Y settings for Film". Does this mean youd have to manually adjust settings each time? Is there a happy medium?

Also can anyone recommend me some good youtubers to go to for best settings? I quickly tried out Vincent Teohs best settings but honestly its looks just too yellow and Dim for me! :D Maybe I set them up wrong.

But yeah just excited to play around with settings but I do want to check out what the experts suggest. Thanks for any info!

Vindepin

Standard Member
My issue is my soundbar sends a static image to the TV saying there is no input... Well duh! And as it's static it's a screen burn risk. The art gallery is only on screen for about 1 second before the soundbar overrides it

For situations like these you can use the "screen off" function; the TV will still play audio but the screen goes black, I use it regularly for Spotify etc. You can add it as a shortcut by going to edit mode at the botton of the quick menu, clicking + and then selecting it

chenks

For situations like these you can use the "screen off" function; the TV will still play audio but the screen goes black, I use it regularly for Spotify etc. You can add it as a shortcut by going to edit mode at the botton of the quick menu, clicking + and then selecting it

That's not the situation where it is a problem though.

My shield is connected to the soundbar, and the soundbar connected to the TV.

The shield is where I play all my content from, so it's the only source. It's set to go to sleep after a period of inactivity (to prevent static menu screen burn etc), however when it does go to sleep the soundbar sees that and then send a static message to the TV saying there is no input source, so the TV art gallery never gets a chance to kick in.

Winchesterclub

Hi VP
If you add this function , does it recognise when Spotify is playing and auto turn the screen off ? Or do you have to do this manually
I presume you can say screen off via the mic function on the remote

Cheers

techdiver

Had an engineer out today to inspect my second 77 CX. I was prepared to have to argue my case etc. I started by showing him a white slide for the grid/brush stroke effect. He immediately said "well that's not displaying proper white, that's all I need to see." I didn't even need to show him my banding issues. He said the white issues and the dead pixel were more than enough. He actually pointed out that I had tinting too. Never really looked for it but he was right.

Now the only decision is to go with a 3rd CX or go for an AG9, or even bail out of OLED all together....

fluxedman

Hi VP
If you add this function , does it recognise when Spotify is playing and auto turn the screen off ? Or do you have to do this manually
I presume you can say screen off via the mic function on the remote

Cheers

Works both ways, tried it with Tidal app held mic button few secs and said screen off and music still playing and screen blank.

Also did the short cut and that also plays with screen off.

You can press any button on remote and screen pops back but it appears to stay on, would have been awesome if there was a music night mode feature where it turns if back off or am I just lazy sod.

There maybe a way to assign a key to that shortcut come to think about it, next thing to figure out.

Nice tip from Vindepin :smashin:

Winchesterclub

Thanks for reply FM
So if you put say Spotify on does the screen automatically turn off ? If you have done the shortcut

Cheers

iiBoyley

Formerly 'DeclanB'
Sometimes when I turn my Xbox on by the controller (connected to HDMI 1) it turns my UB820 on (connected to HDMI 3)

first world problems I know but any idea how to stop it?

derek500

Is there a specific One For All remote code for this TV? I've used the search function on the remote to get a version that works most of the buttons, and used the learning mode to copy a few others.

I can't for the life of me copy the ... button to the Info button on the remote.

fluxedman

Thanks for reply FM
So if you put say Spotify on does the screen automatically turn off ? If you have done the shortcut

Cheers

Still have to manually click the screen off short cut on the remote, I hit control icon then screen off short cut and then it goes off this works on any app or any source, spotify, netflix, deezer, tidal, pc hdmi source or even Virgin media cable box hdmi source etc

Or hold mic button down on remote for few secs and say screen off

You can of course hold mic button down and say spotify or name of app and it opens, but far quicker to add it to the quick access button ie button 3 (spotify) for example so you just long press 3 to get spotify up.

Its not difficult to do just hit the 0 button (quick access) and press box 1 and it ask you what short cut you want hdmi 1 or xbox or spotify or netflix etc, plenty spare boxes also.

What would be awesome and lazy is if you are wanting to listen to spotify or tidal and quick access the screen off short cut rather then pressing control icon and then short cut, but that is really super lazy now that I read that back.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
How do you add the Screen Off to the shortcut menu?
I have held down 0 but no option of screen off to add as a shortcut.

Winchesterclub

Thanks FM
Yes i have added Spotify to quick access
Still have to manually click the screen off short cut on the remote, I hit control icon then screen off short cut and then it goes off this works on any app or any source, spotify, netflix, deezer, tidal, pc hdmi source or even Virgin media cable box hdmi source etc

Or hold mic button down on remote for few secs and say screen off

You can of course hold mic button down and say spotify or name of app and it opens, but far quicker to add it to the quick access button ie button 3 (spotify) for example so you just long press 3 to get spotify up.

Its not difficult to do just hit the 0 button (quick access) and press box 1 and it ask you what short cut you want hdmi 1 or xbox or spotify or netflix etc, plenty spare boxes also.

What would be awesome and lazy is if you are wanting to listen to spotify or tidal and quick access the screen off short cut rather then pressing control icon and then short cut, but that is really super lazy now that I read that back.

Thanks FM
Yes i have Spotify on the Quick Access menu, think i will say screen off sounds the laziest option 😄 to me
Can you add Radio stations to the QA Menu ?

techifan

After updating to the latest firmware as you can see DV and webOS versions have been updated too.

My previous Firmware Version: 03.11.30
webOS TV Version: 5.1.1-3707
Dolby Vision Version: 27.10

Latest Firmware Version: 03.21.16
webOS TV Version: 5.2.0-290904
Dolby Vision Version: 27.11

fluxedman

Had an engineer out today to inspect my second 77 CX. I was prepared to have to argue my case etc. I started by showing him a white slide for the grid/brush stroke effect. He immediately said "well that's not displaying proper white, that's all I need to see." I didn't even need to show him my banding issues. He said the white issues and the dead pixel were more than enough. He actually pointed out that I had tinting too. Never really looked for it but he was right.

Now the only decision is to go with a 3rd CX or go for an AG9, or even bail out of OLED all together....

btw I couldn't get a good picture at all showing the skies to post on VT twitter post, but made a separate post anyhow, you done a good job in rallying up the issue hopefully VTs brand name helps.

Lucky you got an good engineer, after a months waiting mine rang me saying he can get to me March.

Refund or store credit perhaps and wait on the new LG Evo next gen OLED series line up and then still see the brush streak effect even more clearer :D

adbailey18

It must be a ball ache swapping 77 inch TV's out, but I'd go third time lucky.

This is honestly the best TV spec vs cost wise, and you would be hard pressed to find a diff brand OLED. You won't find a current LCD anywhere near the potential of this.

So roll the dice for a third, if it goes tits up again, I'd wait it out to see what this year brings.

fluxedman

How do you add the Screen Off to the shortcut menu?
I have held down 0 but no option of screen off to add as a shortcut.

hit control button on remote
move cursor to left or click on edit mode
click +
click screen off short cut or which ever one you want it has lots on the list

you can also re-click edit and select any short cut on the left including screen off to move up or down

fluxedman

Thanks FM
Yes i have added Spotify to quick access

Thanks FM
Yes i have Spotify on the Quick Access menu, think i will say screen off sounds the laziest option 😄 to me
Can you add Radio stations to the QA Menu ?

Try the short cut also, its bit tricky at first but once you do it few times you can easily add it and lots of other good short cuts I put instructions above just now.

I did look in the QA but not seeing any radio station options.

Totally new thing for me still learning, you probably need a degree in OLED management to learn half the stuff on this TV.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
hit control button on remote
move cursor to left or click on edit mode
click +
click screen off short cut or which ever one you want it has lots on the list

you can also re-click edit and select any short cut on the left including screen off to move up or down

Control Button?!?

I thought to add to Quick Access Menu you held down 0?
I just have a list of apps to add, no screen off option.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett