LG CX OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

fluxedman

Thanks, in that case i'm assuming that Deep Colour should be on for my VM V6 box. 👍

Yes I have deep colour enabled, I think the info box does say if you have any issues with glitches or issues, to disable it but not seen any issues in the 2 months I have used it.

I don't think it makes any difference mind you when I tried switching it on and off, I am hoping the new Virgin 360 box has much better 4K UHD and HDR support and better picture quality though, I don't think the V6 is cutting it the picture looks a bit too soft on HD channels although could be normal.

Kimberson

Distinguished Member
Hi all. How does auto game mode work with the PS5. Will it switch on and off going between a game on the ps5 and watching sky through the Sky app on PS5?

Finbow

Could someone with an Xbox Series X please share if they are having issues with dark scenes being very grey? I've calibrated both the tv and the Xbox servereal times, but AC:Vallhalla, COD:Cold War and Watch Dogs:Legions all have the same issue ALL dark scenes are greyish. Only solution I've found is turning the brightness down, but then the games are too dark elsewhere. In the picture below one has brightness at 50 the other at 42. Any idea on what to do?
View attachment 1409947View attachment 1409948View attachment 1409949View attachment 1409950
Interestingly on my old set It didn’t. My new set however seems to process HDR much more poorly. I was playing AC Valhalla when they arrived with the new TV. I remember plugging the new one in & thinking that looks awful! I have quite severe colour banding in skies & blacks are definitely greyer. Fine detail also isn’t there. Playing Destiny 2 & I used to be able to see much more fine detail. I’ve also got more posterisation & colour banding in SDR content. Not sure what going on. Lots of murmering over on AVS about problems with later builds etc??

Finbow

Anyone know of any retailers who are ok with quibble free returns? My retailer have been exceptional thus far but they have now lost patience with me. I got my replacement last Wednesday & it is not performing to anything like the level of quality that the last TV did. They brought out another on Tuesday this week & we compared both. They were both as poor as each other. Grey/too dark HDR especially in games. Colours way off etc. They’ve offered to either swap it for the 48” Sony or issue me a refund? Having just got an Xbox series X I’m reluctant to give up my 2.1 privileges. Thinking about trying a CX from another retailer. Anyone had any good experiences recently?

nosuchthingasa

Anyone know of any retailers who are ok with quibble free returns? My retailer have been exceptional thus far but they have now lost patience with me. I got my replacement last Wednesday & it is not performing to anything like the level of quality that the last TV did. They brought out another on Tuesday this week & we compared both. They were both as poor as each other. Grey/too dark HDR especially in games. Colours way off etc. They’ve offered to either swap it for the 48” Sony or issue me a refund? Having just got an Xbox series X I’m reluctant to give up my 2.1 privileges. Thinking about trying a CX from another retailer. Anyone had any good experiences recently?
The consensus seems to be that these OLED sets take awhile to bed in, so a judgement on a week-old or day-old set might be a bit self-defeating. Try the Sony, but LG makes the panel.

All the retailers are in it for a profit, so any of them are going to lose patience. I like Richer Sounds. I have known retailers to stop selling certain lines, because of problems with returns and/or reliability. I do think the people with CX issues are in the small minority, so I guess you've been unlucky.

Or, get your money back, buy a cheap LED for game play until than pandemic is over and production lines are back to normal. :rolleyes:

Mala

I have a 65" Sony AF9 today...I'm really tempted on the CX equivalent. The much improved input lag over my Sony is really tempting...and a chance of 4k 120hz. But reading the last pages gives me second thoughts. I have my order in, but it's not in stock for a few weeks, så I do have some time to consider it! With the new firmware dropping and making things better for us gamers...I long for som feedback on the latest fimrware from LG!

B35

Hi, is there no other way of fixing the raised black levels problem on the CX in Dolby Vision than setting the brightness lower? I find it trouble free only on Brightness 47, but this surely loses some detail.
Anybody else noticing this? Example on Netflix app, the Revolution series, ep1, that horrible oval in the middle with banding to the outskirts of the screen:
View attachment 1410158

I don't see this on my C7 though, I can't believe they made a product worse, Dolby Vision is practically unwatchable, a LED set 3 times cheaper looks better. We buy OLEDs for the blacks and they are totally ruined. Is there any addressing to LG about this? Does anybody knows?
Thank you.
I thought the raised blacks only came with higher refresh rates like 120hz? FWIW, the exact same thing happens on my OnePlus 8Pro phone in 120hz mode the display becomes a mess in the dark with black problems. I assume it's an OLED tech problem. This doesn't happen on all Dolby Netflix stuff so it can't be inherent on the CX.

Last edited:

techifan

Yes I have deep colour enabled, I think the info box does say if you have any issues with glitches or issues, to disable it but not seen any issues in the 2 months I have used it.

I don't think it makes any difference mind you when I tried switching it on and off, I am hoping the new Virgin 360 box has much better 4K UHD and HDR support and better picture quality though, I don't think the V6 is cutting it the picture looks a bit too soft on HD channels although could be normal.
Thanks for the confirmation regarding the Deep Colour setting. 👍

Regarding the new Virgin 360 there are lots of posts on the VM forums regarding the new Virgin 360 platform.

Virgin 360 is a new operational platform/software that VM are rolling out and the current V6 box can be upgraded to the new 360 platform OTA.

Apparently, the current V6 box contains the same or very similar hardware to the new 360 box in fact it looks very similar in design.

I guess we will know more over time regarding its picture quality.

fluxedman

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the Deep Colour setting. 👍

Regarding the new Virgin 360 there are lots of posts on the VM forums regarding the new Virgin 360 platform.

Virgin 360 is a new operational platform/software that VM are rolling out and the current V6 box can be upgraded to the new 360 platform OTA.

Apparently, the current V6 box contains the same or very similar hardware to the new 360 box in fact it looks very similar in design.

I guess we will know more over time regarding its picture quality.

oh that is good news I think it needs to be simplified especially for pensioners, I like their voice activated remote also hopefully can get it on our V6 boxes.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Yes.
The ... button then select information. Repeat to get rid of it.

Thanks.

It's strange as some HD content with the same bitrate as UHD looks better, probably shouldn't compare shows but I am watching Billions at the moment in HD and it looks far superior to Haunting Of Bly Manor in Dolby Vision.

Billions just seems to pop more but then Bly Manor is supposed to be dull and dark.

Where as Christmas Chronicles 2 looks great.

Hi, is there no other way of fixing the raised black levels problem on the CX in Dolby Vision than setting the brightness lower? I find it trouble free only on Brightness 47, but this surely loses some detail.
Anybody else noticing this? Example on Netflix app, the Revolution series, ep1, that horrible oval in the middle with banding to the outskirts of the screen:
View attachment 1410158

I don't see this on my C7 though, I can't believe they made a product worse, Dolby Vision is practically unwatchable, a LED set 3 times cheaper looks better. We buy OLEDs for the blacks and they are totally ruined. Is there any addressing to LG about this? Does anybody knows?
Thank you.

is everyone seeing that in this scene? thats bad!

techifan

oh that is good news I think it needs to be simplified especially for pensioners, I like their voice activated remote also hopefully can get it on our V6 boxes.
Yes, the 360 OTA update for our current V6 boxes includes VM sending you the new voice activated remote. 👍

shoeboxjoe

i dont if its been asked before but how do i set up arc audio on the cx it worked a treat on my c8 and pioneer 901 receiver but when i put audio 2 arc i get no sound

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

It's strange as some HD content with the same bitrate as UHD looks better, probably shouldn't compare shows but I am watching Billions at the moment in HD and it looks far superior to Haunting Of Bly Manor in Dolby Vision.

Billions just seems to pop more but then Bly Manor is supposed to be dull and dark.

Are you comparing like with like? Haunting at Bly Manor is is reaching 15.25mbps. I don’t know of any Netflix HD stuff that gets close to that. Can’t find Billions. Isnt it Sky Atlantic only in the U.K.?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Are you comparing like with like? Haunting at Bly Manor is is reaching 15.25mbps. I don’t know of any Netflix HD stuff that gets close to that. Can’t find Billions. Isnt it Sky Atlantic only in the U.K.?

Streaming it via Plex and it's 1080 with a bit rate of about 14/15mb

2 Completely different shows though so should probably not compare. Was just expecting Bly Manor in Dolby Vision to wow me I guess.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Streaming it via Plex and it's 1080 with a bit rate of about 14/15mb

2 Completely different shows though so should probably not compare. Was just expecting Bly Manor in Dolby Vision to wow me I guess.
The fact that it doesn’t wow is one of plus factors of newer Dolby Vision stuff for me. A lot of the early stuff had ridiculously bright highlights that were anything but realistic. Newer stuff has a much more realistic presentation in the main.
That said I can recommend Annihilation if you want the wow factor.

Tbuzz

Standard Member
Anyone seen the reviews by Quantum TV on YouTube in the LG CX? Mainly how washed out the picture looks, crushed blacks etc. Any thoughts?

Rolling Sly

Thanks.

Bly Manor was the show which finally made me realise the CX has a problem with it’s auto-dimming of ‘static’ images feature. Dark scenes would dim to such a low level that it made them look AWFUL. My £7 service remote resolved this problem and the show became watchable. Still not a wow factor presentation but the faulty auto-dimming was making in unbearable for me. Even the missus noticed it!

Tim7

Billions is UHD on Sky 👍🏻

ElGranjeros

guys, i have my cx for 3 days and it smells like light burned plastic or something? All plastic is removed.

Thought I read about it somewhere in this thread but is this going away? Is this a problem?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett