LG CX no DTS Workaround + Gaming from PC

Momba93

Novice Member
Hello,

I just recently got myself an LG CX and am facing a little problem with that right now.

As the title says this TV doesnt support DTS anymore, but I would still like to play the Movies/Series stored on my PC (which is in another room btw) with mostly DTS Audio Tracks on the TV.

Another thing I would also like to do is to play my PC games on the TV.

So I have read a bit into this and found out about a device called Nvidia Shield Tv which supposedly is able to transcode dts to something else and can also be used to stream my games from the pc to the TV (all via network apparently)

So my question is, is all of this really doable with an Nvidia Shield anyway or if its possible to do these things without getting one somehow?

And if its possible without the shield, would the shield have any advantages over a setup without one ?

Greetings.

next010

Distinguished Member
Hello,

I just recently got myself an LG CX and am facing a little problem with that right now.

As the title says this TV doesnt support DTS anymore, but I would still like to play the Movies/Series stored on my PC (which is in another room btw) with mostly DTS Audio Tracks on the TV.

Another thing I would also like to do is to play my PC games on the TV.

So I have read a bit into this and found out about a device called Nvidia Shield Tv which supposedly is able to transcode dts to something else and can also be used to stream my games from the pc to the TV (all via network apparently)

So my question is, is all of this really doable with an Nvidia Shield anyway or if its possible to do these things without getting one somehow?

And if its possible without the shield, would the shield have any advantages over a setup without one ?

Greetings.
If just using the TV alone with no sound system all audio is automatically decoded as PCM stereo.

The Shield has a number of media players on it, Kodi can access network shares stored on your PC or you can install Jellyfin as a free media server which can be used with Kodi as client (via Jellyfin addon).

For game streaming there is the
  • built in Nvidia game stream
  • Moonlight - a reverse engineering of Nvidia game stream making it better than game stream.
  • Valve Steam streaming app.

There isn't anything on the LG app portal that can do local game streaming, though there is a dev version of Moonlight that can be manually installed.

Media player on LG app portal is Emby/Plex, so install corresponding server then connect to the client (Emby/Plex charge money for certain features unlike Jellyfin).

Upvote 0

Momba93

Novice Member
If just using the TV alone with no sound system all audio is automatically decoded as PCM stereo.

The Shield has a number of media players on it, Kodi can access network shares stored on your PC or you can install Jellyfin as a free media server which can be used with Kodi as client (via Jellyfin addon).

For game streaming there is the
  • built in Nvidia game stream
  • Moonlight - a reverse engineering of Nvidia game stream making it better than game stream.
  • Valve Steam streaming app.

There isn't anything on the LG app portal that can do local game streaming, though there is a dev version of Moonlight that can be manually installed.

Media player on LG app portal is Emby/Plex, so install corresponding server then connect to the client (Emby/Plex charge money for certain features unlike Jellyfin).
Thanks for the Reply.

Forgot to mention: I am using an Yamah YAS-207 Soundbar in conjunction with the Tv.

As for the audio being automatically transcoded: doenst happen for me since I just have no Audio at all if I try to play any files with a DTS Track on the CX.

For the video/media streaming: That basically means its already possible to stream movies just with LG TV apps and shield doesnt really offer any benefit over that part ?

Upvote 0

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You don't say what your old setup is but there are lots of ways to solve the audio format issue. If you were already streaming to the TV then you could change your server software on the PC to one that does on the fly transcoding. You could also just transcode your source material and create a second copy with the audio in a different format.

Game streaming is fairly new and from what I hear it's still in early adopter territory. Don't expect it to just turn it on and have it work flawlessly and transparently for every game you try. If you already meet the requirements for one system or another it might be worth experimenting with but I'd be cautious about committing a lot of money to it at this stage.

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the Reply.

Forgot to mention: I am using an Yamah YAS-207 Soundbar in conjunction with the Tv.

As for the audio being automatically transcoded: doenst happen for me since I just have no Audio at all if I try to play any files with a DTS Track on the CX.

For the video/media streaming: That basically means its already possible to stream movies just with LG TV apps and shield doesnt really offer any benefit over that part ?

The Shield/Kodi by default will just decode to PCM stereo but within Kodi you can get 5.1 from it via HDMI-ARC to the YAS-207.

Within Kodi under the cog icon (settings)->system->audio
change settings level from standard to expert
enable pass-through and select Dolby AC3 support and Dolby AC3 transcoding
leave DTS disabled

This will make Kodi convert the DTS audio into Dolby.

LG's internal apps do not support DTS but if you were to use Emby/Plex server/client they should also convert the audio at least into stereo if not Dolby 5.1 with some tinkering of their settings.

Note that LG products are notorious for audio lag with Dolby and various sound systems so if you have not tested something with Dolby 5.1 I would just in case.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom