LG CX near-dark way too bright and flicker

skyryudo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm having issue with my new 77cx, I previously had a 65c9 and was happy with it. It seems the tv is doing a terrible job at dealing with dark area on the picture, the greys are way to bright and very messy, sometimes those area flicker. I'm on the latest firmware, with default filmmaker mode or others, no matter the source from streaming 4k HDR, 1080p or Blu-Ray it's present... For example on "without remorse" 4k on Amazon prime at 14-17 min, it's flickering in the dark area and washed out. Or in star trek beyond on Netflix between 44-46min. Could anyone check those scene if they have time, I'm really at loss, and considering returning the tv while I still can...
No problem of banding with a mir test as well and I tested with the app on the tv and through a Nvidia shield, no differences
Thanks for your help ;)

Have noticed the same issues on my 5 weeks old 65CX. Last night i was watching The Underground Railroad on Primevideo, this was particularly bad with te exact same issues you have mentioned. So far, i only really noticed it on Primevideo. With the show "See" for example on Apple+, witch is also really dark at times, i didn't noticed any of those issues.

Have noticed the same issues on my 5 weeks old 65CX. Last night i was watching The Underground Railroad on Primevideo, this was particularly bad with te exact same issues you have mentioned. So far, i only really noticed it on Primevideo. With the show "See" for example on Apple+, witch is also really dark at times, i didn't noticed any of those issues.
Underground Railroad was awful at times to the point I double checked if it was actually UHD.
I‘ll need to wait until later to check the ones that @skyryudo was asking about.

Thank you for your replies guys.
Omg!! yeah the problem is definitely present on "underground railroad" on Amazon prime, for the elevated black, it's insanely awful. This pic is on filmmaker by default latest firmware for underground railroad. The source don't matter for me I compared star trek beyond at 45 min with a 57go 4k Blu-Ray and the 1080p from Netflix and still the same issue. In without remorse on Amazon prime I even get flickering around 14-17min for example. Is this a calibration issue of grayscale ? How can it be sold like this, honestly it's like going back to a terrible LCD.
IMG_20210516_112631.jpg

I removed the Dynamic tone mapping to see and this is what I get.

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_114726.jpg
    IMG_20210516_114726.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 377
Thank you for your replies guys.
Omg!! yeah the problem is definitely present on "underground railroad" on Amazon prime, for the elevated black, it's insanely awful. This pic is on filmmaker by default latest firmware for underground railroad. The source don't matter for me I compared star trek beyond at 45 min with a 57go 4k Blu-Ray and the 1080p from Netflix and still the same issue. In without remorse on Amazon prime I even get flickering around 14-17min for example. Is this a calibration issue of grayscale ? How can it be sold like this, honestly it's like going back to a terrible LCD. View attachment 1512638
My god!!!!
That’s not right. Underground Railroad wasn’t anywhere near that bad on mine. It was only two or three scenes that had some flashing on blacks and even then not over the whole screen.
If you can’t find the cause in the next day or two, that needs to go back.

It's definitely going this way I think, something messed up with the near black completely washed out, macro-blocking and sometimes flickering of those dark scene, otherwise no problem at all on the rest.

For the DTM it makes the flickering more present, makes it better or worse depending on the content...
Thanks for your help and feedback guys ;)

hi all
ive had the same issues but only linked to streaming material. i.e netflix/disney/amazon etc.
any dvd,bluray content hasnt been a problem.
most ive read about this to the similar issue i have is linked with streaming providers bandwidth/compression that they use.

hi all
ive had the same issues but only linked to streaming material. i.e netflix/disney/amazon etc.
any dvd,bluray content hasnt been a problem.
most ive read about this to the similar issue i have is linked with streaming providers bandwidth/compression that they use.
That sucks, I returned the tv anyway, I had the problem with any content containing dark images. It was washed out and too bright, like there was no real black anymore. Seems to be raised black performance issue like Vincent teoh mentions in theses test. Compared with a Panasonic and also the latest sony a80j and it was night and day. The LG Tv was poorly calibrated out of the box or there was something else... This what I got from star trek beyond 4k Blu-Ray 57go, it was just not acceptable for the price of this tv. Anyway I hope it wasn't that bad for you, good luck ;)

Attachments

• IMG-20210519-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210519-WA0000.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG-20210519-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210519-WA0003.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 246

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom