LG CX - Dolby Vision far too 'bright'

Tomnook80

Hi all,

Never noticed this hugely to be honest until I started using Apple TV. Having previously been disc-based and now also using a Zappiti box for my own disc remuxes (HDR only) this is something that I've noticed recently.

I did a comparison between Eggars' 'The Witch' (a film I'm very familiar with) via my UK iTunes account on ATV, which is the HD version, then against my US iTunes account, DolbyVision version and then my own 4K disc version. The 4K disc and HD version don't look a million miles away from one another, other than the disc one looking superior, but the DolbyVision version looks completely different. It seems to my eye to be far too bright. I then ran through a few other movies I've purchased on iTunes with DolbyVision such as Scott Pilgrim Vs The World and Scream (1996) and they just seemed overly bright in certain scenes compared to what I'm used to. It should be noted that HDR movies without DolbyVision seemed about right to me.

My settings are as follows:
DolbyVision Picture Mode:
Cinema Home
OLED Light 100 (I did turn this down to 50 and it looked more 'normal')
Contrast 100
Brightness 50
Sharpness 20
Colour 50

Dynamic Contrast is off
Gamma is 2.2
And it's set to Warm 2 in terms of white balance

I did try the setting of 'Cinema' rather than Cinema Home and that is way too dark.

I wondered if anyone else if experiencing the same or is I have something setup incorrectly?

Thanks in advance

MetalBall

Standard Member
Maybe you have Dolby Vision IQ enabled - that gets triggered when you use Dolby Vision Cinema (Home) PLUS AI Brightness = enabled. Dolby Vision IQ overrides the brightness setting according to light sensor reading - you shine a bright light directly at the sensor the 'Brightness' goes up.

Have you tried Dolby Vision standard?

Tomnook80

Maybe you have Dolby Vision IQ enabled - that gets triggered when you use Dolby Vision Cinema (Home) PLUS AI Brightness = enabled. Dolby Vision IQ overrides the brightness setting according to light sensor reading - you shine a bright light directly at the sensor the 'Brightness' goes up.

Have you tried Dolby Vision standard?
Thanks for this mate, how do I try Dolby Vision standard? Not sure where to find this.
Cheers

tvdavid

I have my OLED light set to 75 for HDR its just right for me.
it's 45 for other tv.

Tomnook80

Open up the Dolby Vision Picture Mode settings - it's the 2nd profile under Dolby Vision Vivid
I'd argue it's worse using standard unfortunately. I wonder if turning the OLED light option down is the best answer but I've heard that mucks other things up.

Tomnook80

Actually having adjusted a few settings that may be better. I cant adjust the white to warm and the colour is C20...is that correct?

MetalBall

Standard Member
If you set the color temperature slider to W30, it should look a lot closer to the white balance setting at Warm 2 in Cinema Home.

JayPee2610

I wondered if anyone else if experiencing the same or is I have something setup incorrectly?
My G1 behaves similarly. Dolby Vision Cinema Home is definitely brighter than reference, while Dolby Vision Cinema is slightly too dark in dark regions as well as midtones. This is the case with even the most accurate picture modes out of the box. They all seem to deviate from following reference gamma/ EOTF near black.

This can easily be verified with SDR and HDR content, while it is harder with DV content. I have had the chance to calibrate SDR as well as HDR and DV on my G1 using AutoCal and my calibrated DV results are a little brighter than Dolby Vision Cinema with midtones as well as near black, while they are still much darker than DV Cinema Home. Even though I have no way of veryfing my post calibration DV results using the equipment I have (not possible with AutoCal), those results seem to match the post calibration changes made in HDR10 as well as SDR, which can be verified.

Unfortunately, without calibration equipment you can only „guesstimate“ what it should look like by raising the lower regions in the 22-point white balance controls.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom