LG CX channel swapping

Morkrah

Hi all i wonder if anyone has any ideas about this one?

My CX for the most part has been working great and really enjoying the TV appart from this one niggling issue that I need to try and solve before the football tomorrow night! lol

If I watch ITV HD, after anything from 10-30 seconds the tv will swap to BBC1 HD, this happens every time i tune into ITV HD no matter what. If i watch ITV SD then it will stay and I can watch channel 3.

ITV HD does "work" because its there and tuned in nicely it just wont stay and swaps to BBC1 for some strange reason. I could only imagine this was something to do with the signals being similar?

I've tried retuning the TV Channels a number of times however and not sure what else to try next as this is a rather odd issue. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
When you first setup your TV did you select “Home” rather than “Shop” mode?
Are you watching via the TV's Freeview terrestrial tuner?
The TV cannot switch to BBC1 because of “something to do with the signals being similar”
Are you sure someone in your household isn't taking the mickey by changing channel using another remote or app on their phone?

chenks

Morkrah

hey chaps thanks for the replies, ok so the TV is NOT in shop mode that's for sure. I just spent the last day or so calibrating it with my i1 display pro and calman.

I'm also certain that no ones else is changing the channel because i have the remote in my hand...

Its something the TV has always done but we don't watch much ITV so its not really affected us. I've tried a few things in the time I've had the tv but nothing seems to work.

If it helps i can post a video of it happening, but its like the tv says "no dont watch itv" and it just goes to bbc1

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The batteries cannot possibly cause those symptoms.
A faulty remote with a stuck-down/partially stuck-down buttons yes, but batteries, no.

chenks

A faulty remote with a stuck-down/partially stuck-down buttons yes, but batteries, no.
It’s a quick and easy thing to rule out though, so no reason not to do it

Yoinksy

It's maybe improbable but not impossible. LG's own advice for the issue is to remove the batteries for new.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Apologies to labour this point but It is impossible.
The OP has stated that his TV changes from ITVHD to BBC1HD…that's two button presses away…CH103 to CH101. He's expressly stated that it switches to BBC1HD, not BBC2HD or CH104
For a remote control to work a button must be pressed…fully charged or low voltage batteries cannot operate/send an IR command from a remote unless a button is pressed…it's more likely a stuck or partially stuck button on the remote or the local controls on the
TV itself are the cause.
Also, the OP hasn’t stated if he’s using the TV's Freesat or Freeview tuner…or put the remote out of range so that it cannot operate it, which would the point to a fault in the TV.

@Yoinksy, you've stated “LG's own advice for the for the issue is to remove the batteries for new” did you have the same symptoms as the OP which is your TV auto-switching from ITVHD to BBC1HD?

Last edited:

Yoinksy

Insulting towards others (mild)
No I didn't have the same fault. Jfg'd it. And I doubt very much if they would list specific Chanel switches as you have asked. You're not sorry for labouring the point at all, yer just being an arse.

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
No I didn't have the same fault. Jfg'd it. And I doubt very much if they would list specific Chanel switches as you have asked. You're not sorry for labouring the point at all, yer just being an arse.
Maybe I misread your post but to me you implied LG's response/advice for the OP's phantom channel changing was to replace the batteries in the remote.
“Jfg'd it”??

chenks

Apologies to labour this point but It is impossible.

but surely you agree that it's a 5 second job to rule it out, so no harm in doing it.
it ticks another thing of the troubleshooting list.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
No, of course there's no harm in doing it, I just don't want people thinking it can cause it.

chenks

No, of course there's no harm in doing it, I just don't want people thinking it can cause it.

the first rule of troubleshooting is to never rule anything out - no matter how much you believe it could never be the cause.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
the first rule of troubleshooting is to never rule anything out - no matter how much you believe it could never be the cause.

Over a professional career spanning 40 years now , and being familiar with just about every system of structured problem solving and troubleshooting , from 9s to kepner Treygoe , The very first step in any troubleshooting is to rule out the nonsense !

Yoinksy

Check me out, I'm an engineer of 40yrs blah blah.
A simple battery swap isn't nonsense. It's applying KISS that any IT engineer would abide by. No one is implying it's going to fix it but for a 30 second job is worth a go. There's nothing to lose. Even if you've done some 'Tregoe' RCA.

chenks

Check me out, I'm an engineer of 40yrs blah blah.
A simple battery swap isn't nonsense. It's applying KISS that any IT engineer would abide by. No one is implying it's going to fix it but for a 30 second job is worth a go. There's nothing to lose. Even if you've done some 'Tregoe' RCA.

i think you've picked up the post wrong.
i read it as agreeing to what what being said about ruling about the basic stuff first.

lynx

Folks, lets keep insults off the forum.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom