LG CX apps and Sonos Playbar

cannco129

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just purchased a CX65 and am really enjoying the picture quality, a big step up from my previous tv.

I have a Sonos Playbar 5.1 set up and have been trying to get this to work properly with the LG CX.
As the Playbar doesn't have HDMI it's connected to the tv by optical.
My problem is when I use the tv apps (Disney+/Netflix/Apple TV) I don't get 5.1 through the optical connection, only stereo PCM 2.0.

Are the CX tv's limited to only passing 2.0 through optical from native apps as this is something I wasn't aware of previously?

Thanks

have you set the TV to the correct audio settings to suit what the soundbar is expecting to receive over optical?

I'm still getting to grips with the TV, have the sound set to "Optical". Are there other options to adjust the sound I need to change?

is the soundbar set to PCM or bitstream?

There are no settings on the Playbar you can adjust.

My set up uses an optical switch (4 in 1 out) with the output going directly to the Playbar.
This allows me to switch the audio to each device when needed.

Virgin media HDMI to TV and optical out to switch
Samsung 4k bluray player HDMI to TV optical out to switch
PS4pro HDMI to TV and optical out to switch
LG CX Optical out to switch

I can get 5.1 from the 3 external devices, but when I use the TVs own apps the sound shows up as stereo 2.0 in the Sonos app, so I'm thinking the TV can't or won't pass 5.1 through the optical cable - is that correct?

Figured it out with the help of LG support, all tv apps showing 5.1 now which is excellent news!
The default setting for digital sound out on the tv is pcm for some reason....

"To adjust the settings go to settings, all settings, sound, additional settings, digital sound out, then change this to auto or pass through"

"To adjust the settings go to settings, all settings, sound, additional settings, digital sound out, then change this to auto or pass through"

that's what i was alluding to in the first reply, but couldn't remember the exact menu structure.

Hi chenks.
Thanks for trying to help. Coming from an older tv there's a lot to figure out with this one!

note that with optical you are limiting yourself.
you won't get the better sounds formates available from the streaming services as optical doesn't support them, only HDMI does.

Hi all

Just purchased a CX65 and am really enjoying the picture quality, a big step up from my previous tv.

I have a Sonos Playbar 5.1 set up and have been trying to get this to work properly with the LG CX.
As the Playbar doesn't have HDMI it's connected to the tv by optical.
My problem is when I use the tv apps (Disney+/Netflix/Apple TV) I don't get 5.1 through the optical connection, only stereo PCM 2.0.

Are the CX tv's limited to only passing 2.0 through optical from native apps as this is something I wasn't aware of previously?

Thanks
Hi Cannco129, as Playbar only support Dolby Digital (DD) and Netflix support Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) is there any trouble from Netflix app from your TV went to Playbar + 2 surround? Can you please show the Sonos S2 screen incidicate sound mode from that?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom