LG CX and Sonos Arc - can't select other outputs

Grantxw8

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I have an LG CX 65" OLED TV for which I just bought a Sonos Arc. My problem is that, if I plug it in to the eARC HDMI port as recommended, I don't seem to be able to select any other sound output channel on the TV. Now you may wonder why I would want to do this and I have an answer.

I'm getting old and often need to be able to use headphones when watching TV late at night or when with my wife. I'm partially deaf and this allows me to enjoy watching without driving her to deafness too. However, choosing "wired headphones" or "wired headphones + internal speakers" in the audio output menu doesn't stick. It just switches back to "HDMI ARC" after a few seconds.

I have gone through every setting I can find in the iOS app from Sonos and didn't find anything helpful. I managed to make it work but only by unplugging the HDMI cable from the Sonos. I haven't tried other options such as using another HDMI input – perhaps that would help?

If anyone can point me at what idiotic thing I'm doing wrong I’d be very grateful. Hopefully I haven't bought the wrong soundbar?

Thanks for listening.

Cheers, Grant

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Your Sonos soundbar will only work plugged into the HDMI ARC port as that is the only port which can output audio.
If you want to be able to select the other audio out options try disabling ARC or LG Simplink.
You would then have to re-enable ARC each time you want to use the Sonos unfortunately.

chadmaster

Standard Member
Hi I had thre same issue so i bought a small dac converter off Amazon for around £25 and a optical cable. Connected the dac to the tv with the optical cable and plug my headphones into the dac. Go into the tv sound settings and select optical + internal tv speakers, or just the optical if your alone. The volume for the headphones is controlled by the dac so you can have it as loud as you want without affecting the tvs volume.

shinken

Hi, same happens with the LG B7. I have to power off the ARC to use my Bluetooth Sony headphones. found no other way.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom