LG CX and PS5 black levels

Evenflow80

Hey guys,

Anyone else have a PS5 with a CX? There seems to be a lot of debate (as was with PS4) about what black levels settings to use.

Vincent at HDTV test is saying Ps5 Auto RGB and auto black level on CX is "correct" , but I cant get over about how "misty" and washed out the colors look on that setting. Almost like putting brightness and contrast too high on an SDR image (elevated blacks? Is that the term?)

Meanwhile if I put both to "Limited" and "Low" I get a more dramatic, punchier image with deeper blacks, more dramatic shading, and more pronounced contrast between light and dark areas.

What gives?? Or am I going crazy?

I do ask before responding, take a minute to flip between auto/auto and limited / low and comparing image quality and let me know what you think.

Doctor Hades

I'm having the same problems with my LG B9.

I found that on my PS4 Pro that leaving RGB Range set to Recommended would use the Full RGB range which resulted in crushed black levels in games, which was very noticeable in Ghost of Tsushima. I found that my LG B9 defaults to Low in its Black Level setting and when I switched the PS4 Pro's RGB Level to Limited that everything looked correct. Ghost of Tsushima was no longer too dark, especially indoors.

I used the same settings for my PS5 and initially it looked like the colours were washed out but I think that is because the console forces HDR mode for everything so it is important to make sure you calibrate the HDR setting correctly to get everything looking correct in Game mode.

I believe as long as the TV and the PS5 are both using either Limited or Full then you will get the correct black levels. The problem is if you have the console set to Full and the TV to Low or the console set to Limited and the TV set to High then you'll get either very washed out colours or crushed blacks.

What makes this confusing is that not only do you have the HDR calibration but some games also have HDR settings as well such as Immortal: Fenix Rising which I have been playing today. I still cannot work out whether the colours are correct though. Since the game is cartoony it may be that the colour palette is correct but it does look a tad washed out to me during gameplay but looks fine during cutscenes.

Not sure how the LG CX works but it appears from reviews I've seen that it has an Auto Black Level setting which my B9 lacks. That means that you should be okay to use Recommended RGB Level on the PS5 and leave the Black Level on the TV set to Auto. I assume this mode works on the TV by detecting the RGB signal from the console and setting High (Full) or Low (Limited) depending on whether the PS5 is outputting Full or Limited.

However, I found the Limited (PS5) + Low (TV) does not quite give the same colours as Full (PS5) + High (TV). In fact, I was shocked at how bad The Lord of the Rings 4K discs looked on my PS5 using Full + High until I switched back to Limited + Low. The difference was night and day. Limited + Low (using the Cinema mode) looks way better than Full + High on my B9. The blacks in the letterbox borders at the top and bottom of the screen during the movie using Full + High where very clearly grey and not the expected inky blacks.

Last edited:

Evenflow80

I'm having the same problems with my LG B9.

I found that on my PS4 Pro that leaving RGB Range set to Recommended would use the Full RGB range which resulted in crushed black levels in games, which was very noticeable in Ghost of Tsushima. I found that my LG B9 defaults to Low in its Black Level setting and when I switched the PS4 Pro's RGB Level to Limited that everything looked correct. Ghost of Tsushima was no longer too dark, especially indoors.

I used the same settings for my PS5 and initially it looked like the colours were washed out but I think that is because the console forces HDR mode for everything so it is important to make sure you calibrate the HDR setting correctly to get everything looking correct in Game mode.

I believe as long as the TV and the PS5 are both using either Limited or Full then you will get the correct black levels. The problem is if you have the console set to Full and the TV to Low or the console set to Limited and the TV set to High then you'll get either very washed out colours or crushed blacks.

What makes this confusing is that not only do you have the HDR calibration but some games also have HDR settings as well such as Immortal: Fenix Rising which I have been playing today. I still cannot work out whether the colours are correct though. Since the game is cartoony it may be that the colour palette is correct but it does look a tad washed out to me during gameplay but looks fine during cutscenes.

Not sure how the LG CX works but it appears from reviews I've seen that it has an Auto Black Level setting which my B9 lacks. That means that you should be okay to use Recommended RGB Level on the PS5 and leave the Black Level on the TV set to Auto. I assume this mode works on the TV by detecting the RGB signal from the console and setting High (Full) or Low (Limited) depending on whether the PS5 is outputting Full or Limited.

However, I found the Limited (PS5) + Low (TV) does not quite give the same colours as Full (PS5) + High (TV). In fact, I was shocked at how bad The Lord of the Rings 4K discs looked on my PS5 using Full + High until I switched back to Limited + Low. The difference was night and day. Limited + Low (using the Cinema mode) looks way better than Full + High on my B9. The blacks in the letterbox borders at the top and bottom of the screen during the movie using Full + High where very clearly grey and not the expected inky blacks.

High / High (or auto / auto) on CX and Ps5 actually results in raised blacks or that misty look where blacks look grey , yet low /limited seems correct and blacks look black. Its so odd

Doctor Hades

High / High (or auto / auto) on CX and Ps5 actually results in raised blacks or that misty look where blacks look grey , yet low /limited seems correct and blacks look black. Its so odd.

Yes, that is exactly what I am seeing on my B9 with Full on the consoles and High on the TV for Game mode.

The PS4 Pro and PS5 default to Full RGB when using the Recommended Auto setting for RGB Range. This is confirmed by toggling between Full and Limited manually. From Auto, there is no change when selecting Full but the colours go noticeably paler when selecting Limited. This setting is wrong on the console in my experience.

The B9 TV defaults to Low (Limited) so that means games can look overly dark because the console outputs Full. I found that I have to manually set the PS4 Pro and PS5 to Limited and leave the TV set to Low to get the correct black levels without the image looking too dark or too washed out.

kbabyblue

I was shocked at how bad The Lord of the Rings 4K discs looked on my PS5 using Full + High until I switched back to Limited + Low. The difference was night and day. Limited + Low (using the Cinema mode) looks way better than Full + High on my B9. The blacks in the letterbox borders at the top and bottom of the screen during the movie using Full + High where very clearly grey and not the expected inky blacks.

This is because media content does not make use of full rbg, the proper way to watch media content will always be on for now limited/low.

Meanwhile if I put both to "Limited" and "Low" I get a more dramatic, punchier image with deeper blacks, more dramatic shading, and more pronounced contrast between light and dark areas.

What gives?? Or am I going crazy?

First off all make sure your TV’s black level is on automatic, it can read the rgb range of the Ps5 and change accordingly, and use whatever you feel looks better, they is some inconsistencies regarding this which i don’t fully understand yet. I leave my ps5 and tv on auto, it auto’s to full on both and looks pretty good, how it should look.

If your automatic isn’t matching or doesn’t look right to you, you must 100% make sure that both your TV and ps5 are matching either low, limited / high, full or you will get either raised blacks or crushed blacks.

Also when switching between Limited and Full on your PS5, your screen must turn off and back on and that’s how you know it’s working. Mine didn’t use to do this and i don’t even know how i got it to work.

FutureShark

I too have been doing a fair bit of internet research on this topic, and the general rule that I've found is to force it.
PS4/PS5 Limited
C8/9/X Black Level Low
Make sure with all the other recommended settings that Dynamic Tone Mapping = ON and you're good to go!
By the way I have a C8.

Last edited:

Doctor Hades

Dynamic Tone Mapping On is usually brighter than HGIG so I calibrate the HDR on my PS4 Pro/PS5 with HGIG enabled using the Limited (console)/Low (TV) RGB settings as recommended by HDTV Test. It made a huge difference to Ghost of Tsushima for example where I could finally see indoors whereas previously the black levels were completely crushed and horrible.

Evenflow80

Dynamic Tone Mapping On is usually brighter than HGIG so I calibrate the HDR on my PS4 Pro/PS5 with HGIG enabled using the Limited (console)/Low (TV) RGB settings as recommended by HDTV Test. It made a huge difference to Ghost of Tsushima for example where I could finally see indoors whereas previously the black levels were completely crushed and horrible.

Most games don't use HGIG though and in that case HGIG is the same as no tone mapping at all, meaning it makes the relatively dimmer OLED screen even more dim.

I guess bottom line is im only going to use my Ps5 for gaming . Is limited / low safest option then ?

Thanks !

jwxq

Most games don't use HGIG though and in that case HGIG is the same as no tone mapping at all, meaning it makes the relatively dimmer OLED screen even more dim.

I guess bottom line is im only going to use my Ps5 for gaming . Is limited / low safest option then ?

Thanks !
Hi, did you find settings for your LG CX & PS5 that gave you a good picture again in game mode? Have the same issue where game mode looks washed out

hi robb

Hello,

As others have said, on some LG OLEDs (my B9 is one), you only see either black level LOW (limited) or HIGH (full) in the LG picture settings. If your PS5 / PS4 Pro is set to the AUTO RGB setting in the console settings, the console will output Full RGB for games.

So if you keep the playstation on AUTO, you would need to set the LG picture settings too HIGH if you wanted to match what the playstation is outputting black level wise for games.

The problem with that is if you use your PS5 for media, then video streaming apps such as Netflix will be output from the PS5 in limited mode which will cause issues with black levels because the TV is set to HIGH (Full RGB).

There are three fixes for this.

1) set your TV to black level low, and then set the playstation to output limited. This means that both games and media streaming will look right.

2) Leave the Playstation in Auto mode. Then set the input on your LG OLED to "PC Mode". Doing this will then show a 3rd option for Black Level in the LG TV pictures settings called "Auto". This does exactly what it says on the tin. Black level will be automatically switched between Full RGB for games, and LIMTED for streaming apps / video.

3) If you don't watch media on your PS, set the TV to black level - HIGH. Games will always look right then. But if you watch a video it will look screwed up.

One tip from me. If you set the Playstation to limited or full - so not auto. If you do a console OS update, go back afterwards and check your settings on the PS. I've found a couple of times that the PS resets to auto after a OS update. It caught me out first time it happened.

Kind regards

Rob

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom