LG CX and Philips TAB8805/10 Soundbar - E-Arc issues

kniknax

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So when I have E-Arc enabled with the E-Arc Soundbar plugged into the E-Arc HDMI socket on the LG CX, with an 8K cable (just to be sure it wasnt that), the TV flashes on and off constantly as it tries to connect - with the tv on screen message flashing between e-arc/tvspeakers/e-arc/tvspeakers etc over and over until either you have to turn off the Soundbar, or it eventually gives up and goes to Arc. During this the Soundbar display shows E-Arc (solidly), until the TV gives up and the soundbar display changes to Arc as well.

If I turn off E-Arc on the TV it connects and settles on Arc.

The soundbar is advertised as E-Arc, and the display on the bar implies it is recognising this from the TV, but the TV is having a constant eppy about it.

This has been happening for months since I bought them both- its not related to the latest patches.

Any ideas?

ARC/eARC are not strict standards so differences in implementations can have compatibility issues.

There are no controls other than the TV.
eARC = Enabled
Digital Sound Output = Pass-through
HDMI Input Format = Bitstream

The bar itself has nothing other than audio settings, no HDMI settings.

The bar is capable of firmware updates, if you get the Philips Sound app on smartphone under settings->ps fine tune, according to the manual.

On a long shot try any other HDMI 2.0 cables you have around, just in case its some kind of cable issue.

If none of the above help try a factory reset of both the TV and soundbar.

After that your out of options I think and would have to contact Philips tech support.

While no doubt annoying that they are not co-operating if all you use the TV for is general TV and streaming video you don't need eARC enabled, the ARC mode supports the audio formats they use which are PCM 2.0, Dolby 5.1 and Dolby Plus Atmos.

What eARC adds on the LG is
PCM 5.1/7.1 - used by PC or games console
Dolby TrueHD - used by Blu-ray.
Dolby MAT - decodes Atmos as PCM useful for games console.

If you have a PC you can use secondary video output from GPU and run it into the soundbar HDMI input to get full audio support while keeping primary video output on the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom