LG CX and no 4k from Firestick

relentless

Standard Member
hey all,

i have just purchased an LG OLED55CX5LB and hooked up a new 4k firestick but and getting the message "unable to play 4K UHD, selected HDMI port does not support HDCP 2.2".

I have gone through a whole host of checks but no luck...
I get 4k from the tvs prime video
youtube streams on firestick is showing as 4k

reset firestick.
ensured on latest firmware (both devices)
ensured ultra HD deep colour is on
tried another firestick
firestick is plugged in direct, no cable
i dont have another 4k source to try at the moment.
firmware is 04.30.40

When i bring up the resolution info panel by pressing the green button on the tv remote repeatedly it always shows "3840 x [email protected]" even though the movie im playing in prime video is 1080p. If the source is sky q this panel shows its 1080p.

Anything ive missed? It seems alot have this issue, is it more of a firestick problem or TV do you know?

Last edited:
Have you enabled the televisions 'HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour' option via the 'General' settings?

chenks

Suspended
The dreaded hdcp bug that these new batches have? Bought from Costco by any chance?

relentless

Standard Member
The dreaded hdcp bug that these new batches have? Bought from Costco by any chance?
Yes it was as it happens!
Spoke with lg they said no reports of this issue on this model, only c1s etc.
Well they might be getting some now.
I was going to try HDCP bypass, worth a try you think?
It may well be going back. Manufactured 09/21

SABR3TRON

Standard Member
hey all,

i have just purchased an LG OLED55CX5LB and hooked up a new 4k firestick but and getting the message "unable to play 4K UHD, selected HDMI port does not support HDCP 2.2".

I have gone through a whole host of checks but no luck...
I get 4k from the tvs prime video
youtube streams on firestick is showing as 4k

reset firestick.
ensured on latest firmware (both devices)
ensured ultra HD deep colour is on
tried another firestick
firestick is plugged in direct, no cable
i dont have another 4k source to try at the moment.
firmware is 04.30.40

When i bring up the resolution info panel by pressing the green button on the tv remote repeatedly it always shows "3840 x [email protected]" even though the movie im playing in prime video is 1080p. If the source is sky q this panel shows its 1080p.

Anything ive missed? It seems alot have this issue, is it more of a firestick problem or TV do you know?
Hi mate, I updated my 55 LG CX today with a new firmware.. 04.30.56 and all working ok. Can't find anything online but it's there if you want to try and force the update. Cheers, Matt

SABR3TRON

Standard Member
PXL_20211228_123211632.jpg

relentless

Standard Member
Hi mate, I updated my 55 LG CX today with a new firmware.. 04.30.56 and all working ok. Can't find anything online but it's there if you want to try and force the update. Cheers, Matt
Hi Matt,

Just updated latest firmware 04.30.56 and same issue with firestick 4K :( Have restarted tv and reset firestick, just comes up with device doesn’t support hdcp 2.2 and plays back 4K content at 1080p. What sources did you try?

Cheers

Mark

relentless

Standard Member
Hi Matt,

Just updated latest firmware 04.30.56 and same issue with firestick 4K :( Have restarted tv and reset firestick, just comes up with device doesn’t support hdcp 2.2 and plays back 4K content at 1080p. What sources did you try?

Cheers

Mark
Well I’ve no idea what I’ve just done but Amazon prime on firestick is now playing back in 4K, hooray! :) I have literally just plugged stick into another port and back again and now working without showing the HDCP error, so so far the 56 update seems to have sorted the issue.

Can anyone confirm that fixed for other 4K sources?

SABR3TRON

Standard Member
Well I’ve no idea what I’ve just done but Amazon prime on firestick is now playing back in 4K, hooray! :) I have literally just plugged stick into another port and back again and now working without showing the HDCP error, so so far the 56 update seems to have sorted the issue.

Yes mate, I think it depends on whether devices are connected and on when you update to latest firmware. If in doubt turn off and on n deep colour etc or turn TV off and unplug from wall then back on again and should sync but sounds like you have sorted anyway!

SABR3TRON

Standard Member

The new update fixed every issue I had, Virgin 360, PS5, Xbox SX and Panny UB450 Blu-ray player! Let's hope it doesn't suddenly revert back

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom