Question LG CX 55" or LG BX 55"

jdbe88

Novice Member
Reaction score
Looking into buying a new OLED TV and going to go for LG

The one i was after the LG CX 55" is now out of stock online. It was £1299 over black friday and is now back up to £1399

Is the CX worth buying over the BX at that price? Price of BX is £1098

I'll be mainly:

Watching films - netflix, prime etc
Watching TV via Sky Q
Playing games - PS4 and eventually PS5

I know the CX has a better processor and more HDMI 2.1 ports

But is the picture quality the same on both sets for what i'll be using it for?

I'll be connecting the TV to a Sony soundbse via HDMI arc port

thanks for any replies

there’s a nearly new CX in the classifieds

BX is £1,019 at Costco, RS would price beat by £20 or £5 depending if they are bothered about you proving membership.

Not on that pricing. The BX is almost as good and a lot cheaper. Pricing changes a lot though, the CX will probably come back down in price again.

Btw for Sky Q the better upscaling of the CX may be useless to you, most people set their box to output 4k, so everything is handled by the Sky box itself, another reason to save money on the BX.

Not on that pricing. The BX is almost as good and a lot cheaper. Pricing changes a lot though, the CX will probably come back down in price again.

Btw for Sky Q the better upscaling of the CX may be useless to you, most people set their box to output 4k, so everything is handled by the Sky box itself, another reason to save money on the BX.
Thanks for the reply. Might hold out for the CX coming down in price again. It'd be good to watch 4K content via Sky Q. This'll be my first ever OLED.

Want to make sure I'm getting the best TV for price

Here's a comparison of all the different OLEDs:

Outside of upscaling and brightness that has also been mentioned the CX has an extra 1gb of ram used for smart TV and smoother gradients between one colour and the next. You'd have to be an expert to notice a difference side by side with another OLED though.

OLED Price Changes may also be useful to you.

Here's a comparison of all the different OLEDs:

Outside of upscaling and brightness that has also been mentioned the CX has an extra 1gb of ram used for smart TV and smoother gradients between one colour and the next. You'd have to be an expert to notice a difference side by side with another OLED though.

OLED Price Changes may also be useful to you.
What would you go for out of the two models?

Appreciate all replies

What would you go for out of the two models?

Appreciate all replies
I'd wait for a price drop on the CX if I could afford it.

don't want to start a new thread so will add to this. my previous TV - a sony android 4k was connected to my sony bravia sound base. HDMI ARC on TV to HDMI ARC on sound base

my other devices were all then connected directly to the sound base via HDMI

Sky Q
PS4
FireTV box

is that the right way to set it up?

or should all devices connect to the TV directly? thanks

is that the right way to set it up?

or should all devices connect to the TV directly? thanks
Depends on the model of TV and sound base.

Assuming the soundbase won't pass HDR you may want to connect your PS4 and Fire TV to the TV directly. I'm not sure Sky offer HDR content yet so.

Depends on the model of TV and sound base.

Assuming the soundbase won't pass HDR you may want to connect your PS4 and Fire TV to the TV directly. I'm not sure Sky offer HDR content yet so.
Cheers
Never known how to connect it properly for best results.

Sound and video have always worked with all devices connected to sound base

Cheers
Never known how to connect it properly for best results.

Sound and video have always worked with all devices connected to sound base
I'll need more details to help, make and model of TV and make and model of soundbar.
Also, is it one of the newer 4k Fire TV boxes or an older one?

Thanks.

The sound base is a Sony HTXT3

The OLED TVs I've narrowed the search down to are:

Sony KD55A85BU
LG 55CX6LA

I know both TV's have eARC

What do you reckon is best?

Thanks.

Sony KD55A85BU
LG 55CX6LA

LG if you need HDMI 2.1 and Sony if you don’t?

Also Sony has Android and full UK catch-up, LG doesn’t. If that matters to you.

Thanks.

Sony KD55A85BU
LG 55CX6LA

You might be aware of this but the Sony A85 is a Curry's exclusive. It's identical to the A8 minus the slightly different feet. The A8 feet can be altered to a higher position to accommodate a soundbar.
The A8 will widen your search.

You might be aware of this but the Sony A85 is a Curry's exclusive. It's identical to the A8 minus the slightly different feet. The A8 feet can be altered to a higher position to accommodate a soundbar.
The A8 will widen your search.

The sales guy at Currys was saying the Sony TV acts as a speaker and it upscales everything to the best quality.

He said it was better than the LG. But I think it was just sales talk

The sales guy at Currys was saying the Sony TV acts as a speaker and it upscales everything to the best quality.

He said it was better than the LG. But I think it was just sales talk

"Better" is subjective.
I have the A8 and prefer it but clearly the LG CX is better for gaming. Worth doing your own research - the sales ppl don't know anything. Read Dodgexanders guides.

Am jumping on this one rather than starting a new thread!

Currently I have a 55" LG55B8PLA, very happy with the picture and set but now looking to upsize to a 65" set . I also want to make the most of new PC Gaming rig and PS5 by getting a set that has HDMI 2.1 for 4k gaming at more than 60fps and also use VRR, ALLM etc.

So one of these two seem ideal, can see the price difference is currently 1800 vs 2000 so will mull this over.

A few questions though...

Gaming aside I'm assuming this set wont be a downgrade in regard to general movie and tv watching compared to my B8?

I currently route everything through my DenonAVR-X2200W which I'm guessing due to its age does not support everything offered under hdmi 2.1? This being the case should I connect something like my Game PC directly to the TV and then have HDMI coming out from the TV to the amp to sort the sound side of things?

Thanks for any help!

Edit - Not related but whats the going rate for a decent condition B8? Looking at previous sales around £700 I think?

Last edited:
Am jumping on this one rather than starting a new thread!

Currently I have a 55" LG55B8PLA, very happy with the picture and set but now looking to upsize to a 65" set . I also want to make the most of new PC Gaming rig and PS5 by getting a set that has HDMI 2.1 for 4k gaming at more than 60fps and also use VRR, ALLM etc.

So one of these two seem ideal, can see the price difference is currently 1800 vs 2000 so will mull this over.

A few questions though...

Gaming aside I'm assuming this set wont be a downgrade in regard to general movie and tv watching compared to my B8?

I currently route everything through my DenonAVR-X2200W which I'm guessing due to its age does not support everything offered under hdmi 2.1? This being the case should I connect something like my Game PC directly to the TV and then have HDMI coming out from the TV to the amp to sort the sound side of things?

Thanks for any help!

Edit - Not related but whats the going rate for a decent condition B8? Looking at previous sales around £700 I think?
Very little has changed in picture quality since your current TV but you should probably aim for the CX to get a small upgrade compared to your current TV. Especially if you want to be a bit more future proof.

The receiver you own pre-dates even HDMI v2.0 so won't support any HDMI 2.1 or HDMI 2.0 features if you connect them first to the receiver, and then to the TV. You need to connect any devices that require HDMI 2.0 or more directly to the TV and send audio in return from the TV via HDMI ARC. Beware though that this method will only support Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo.

No idea on used prices. The current BX and the B9 before that dropped beneath £1000 in clearance discounts, so £700 is probably a decent starting figure.

Thanks for the reply, I believe the HDMI ports on my AV are 2.0a having done a Google so if I do get the set then will connect PC directly, not sure about PS5 yet!

Thanks for the reply, I believe the HDMI ports on my AV are 2.0a having done a Google so if I do get the set then will connect PC directly, not sure about PS5 yet!
HDMI 2.0a supports 4k 60hz with all the HDR formats but you'll need to connect direct to the TV for any HDMI 2.1 features.

Sometimes they update older models to include some HDMI 2.1 features on HDMI 2.0 ports like eARC or ALLM but for VRR you'll have to connect direct to the TV.

You can check with Denon to see if there's any other HDMI 2.1 features supported via its HDMI 2.0 ports.

so i have the LG CX 55" turning up on Monday from John Lewis. thanks all for the replies.

do i need to invest in new HDMI 2.1 cables?

might post again on Monday for best way to connect kit to TV

thanks again

Owners thread here for specific help

Enjoy your new TV

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom