LG CX 48 OLED brightness issue (Too Dim)

HarryG19

Novice Member
Hello everyone, I’ve recently purchased an LG CX 48 OLED tv to pair with my Xbox one series X, however I’m not getting on very well with it, I think the panel or something is defective. When I first setup the tv the setup menus were very dim, not bright at all. After messing with the settings for a few days I have managed to increase the brightness by doing the following.

SDR: Standard picture mode

OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Gamma: Medium (2.2 standard)
Peak brightness: High
Dynamic contrast: Off/low.

despite the max brightness settings I still don’t think this set is particularly bright, I don’t know if oled panels improve over time and use In terms of brightness, I don’t feel I should have to crank these settings for a decent level especially when someone people have oled light at 30-60. I’ve contacted LG and richer sounds about this, I’m just not sure if it’s defective or not, anyone here give me their thoughts/ insight, I’m not all too happy with this, I’ll attach pictures for reference with settings displayed above:

As well as this the game picture mode is noticeably dimmer and quite honestly is too dark even with brightness settings are max, I have to use standard mode, with the instant game response enabled, there is no difference in input lag.

Attachments

• 9E512CB3-AC70-4FE7-B6DC-F66D02B90632.jpeg
    9E512CB3-AC70-4FE7-B6DC-F66D02B90632.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 416
  • 540CEFAC-003D-402B-9181-5609C3D94F0B.jpeg
    540CEFAC-003D-402B-9181-5609C3D94F0B.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 421
  • 5D45D5C7-78C9-44B8-B37D-1EA2C08386B3.jpeg
    5D45D5C7-78C9-44B8-B37D-1EA2C08386B3.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 444
  • EC75A3EB-2466-4238-948D-45672E488F76.jpeg
    EC75A3EB-2466-4238-948D-45672E488F76.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 446

Doctor Hades

You really need to use Game mode with consoles otherwise you will get more input latency. In fact, I always know when I've accidentally switched out of Game mode on my Xbox One X and PS5 because the controls feel really off and motion, especially rapid camera pans, looks awful. Standard picture mode uses additional picture processing that causes increased latency. You want all the processing turned off for games hence why Game mode exists.

Not quite sure what the problem is with you TV as those screenshot look fine but are those what the TV looks like with Standard mode enabled or are they what it looks like with the default Game mode settings?

Does the Xbox Series X use HDR in its menu screens like the PS5? I don't think it does so on the main menu the TV should be using SDR mode (in Game mode) and HDR will only engage when you launch a game that supports HDR such as Forza Motorsport 4, which I assume those screenshots are from?

In the Xbox menus, using non-HDR Game mode, you should have Contrast around 90, Brightness at 50 and OLED Light should be around 60 or so, if I recall correctly on my B9. Also, Peak Brightness should not be on High as this is used for HDR content.

OLED Light should be 100 and Peak Brightness set to High only for HDR content such as games and movies that support it. Game mode will automatically select those settings depending on whether the game supports HDR or not.

Is your TV in a bright room as OLEDs are not well-suited for rooms where there is a lot of light.

P.S. Make sure you turn off Eco mode which can dim the picture depending on the lighting in the room.

HarryG19

Novice Member
You really need to use Game mode with consoles otherwise you will get more input latency. In fact, I always know when I've accidentally switched out of Game mode on my Xbox One X and PS5 because the controls feel really off and motion, especially rapid camera pans, looks awful. Standard picture mode uses additional picture processing that causes increased latency. You want all the processing turned off for games hence why Game mode exists.

Not quite sure what the problem is with you TV as those screenshot look fine but are those what the TV looks like with Standard mode enabled or are they what it looks like with the default Game mode settings?

Does the Xbox Series X use HDR in its menu screens like the PS5? I don't think it does so on the main menu the TV should be using SDR mode (in Game mode) and HDR will only engage when you launch a game that supports HDR such as Forza Motorsport 4, which I assume those screenshots are from?

In the Xbox menus, using non-HDR Game mode, you should have Contrast around 90, Brightness at 50 and OLED Light should be around 60 or so, if I recall correctly on my B9. Also, Peak Brightness should not be on High as this is used for HDR content.

OLED Light should be 100 and Peak Brightness set to High only for HDR content such as games and movies that support it. Game mode will automatically select those settings depending on whether the game supports HDR or not.

Is your TV in a bright room as OLEDs are not well-suited for rooms where there is a lot of light.

P.S. Make sure you turn off Eco mode which can dim the picture depending on the lighting in the room.
Hi, all those images posted where in sdr mode, with peak brightness at high, oled light at 100, contrast at 100, standard gamma at 2.2 and dynamic contrast off. Here’s the thing, I’m also very sensitive to input lag.

With the instant game response disabled, standard picture mode is very laggy and produces a lot of input lag, if I keep the instant game response off but switch to the game picture mode, the screen turns black and flickers and then the latency is reduced, screen dims and colours are all washed out in sdr. If I have the instant game response enabled, it’s different, it doesn’t matter what picture mode I’m in, the response , smoothness and input lag are all minimal and more importantly are the same, doesn’t matter if I’m in vivid or game or standard picture mode, as long as the instant game response is enabled, the input lag is minimal and I get 120hz.

those pictures are in standard picture mode, game PICTURE mode is just awful, very washed out on the cx in hdr, dim and dull. I’ve emailed richer sounds customer support the pictures above and even thought the brightness settings are max they said nothing is wrong, maybe it’s just me.

raymondo77

Hello everyone, I’ve recently purchased an LG CX 48 OLED tv to pair with my Xbox one series X, however I’m not getting on very well with it, I think the panel or something is defective. When I first setup the tv the setup menus were very dim, not bright at all. After messing with the settings for a few days I have managed to increase the brightness by doing the following.

SDR: Standard picture mode

OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Gamma: Medium (2.2 standard)
Peak brightness: High
Dynamic contrast: Off/low.

despite the max brightness settings I still don’t think this set is particularly bright, I don’t know if oled panels improve over time and use In terms of brightness, I don’t feel I should have to crank these settings for a decent level especially when someone people have oled light at 30-60. I’ve contacted LG and richer sounds about this, I’m just not sure if it’s defective or not, anyone here give me their thoughts/ insight, I’m not all too happy with this, I’ll attach pictures for reference with settings displayed above:

As well as this the game picture mode is noticeably dimmer and quite honestly is too dark even with brightness settings are max, I have to use standard mode, with the instant game response enabled, there is no difference in input lag.

Have you turned off the Energy Saving setting? It will limit the brightness of the TV and is - or was - on by default.

Not sure where it will be on yours, but on my C8 it's Settings > Picture > Energy Setting

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom